Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Battery and Ignition Switch

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  flitecontrol 
#1 ·
Hello all,
The bike I picked up (85 VN700) I was told needed a new battery and ignition switch. Any tips on the best places to pick these up new or used. Also, is there any way to isolate the ignition switch to know that it really is the problem? I figured I would start there.

Thanks,
Aaron

#3 ·
The switch may just need cleaning. There are many more that are just dirty/corroded than actually broken. Try a search here for the procedure.

#4 ·
#6 ·
I bought two AGM batteries from Batteries Plus. ACE Hardware now carries Batteries Plus batteries. I only paid around $60 each.

#7 ·
I guess I should clarify. The person I bought the bike from said it is the ignition starter switch located on the handlebars next to the throttle. I am not sure exactly what the part is called. It is the orange on/off button with the starter button under it. That is what I am told is not working.

#9 ·
I call it the starter or ignition switch.

#11 ·
Hello all,
The bike I picked up (85 VN700) I was told needed a new battery and ignition switch. Any tips on the best places to pick these up new or used. Also, is there any way to isolate the ignition switch to know that it really is the problem? I figured I would start there.

Thanks,
Aaron
I guess I should clarify. The person I bought the bike from said it is the ignition starter switch located on the handlebars next to the throttle. I am not sure exactly what the part is called. It is the orange on/off button with the starter button under it. That is what I am told is not working.
does "right bar switch" sound right?
Yes it is the right bar switch with the engine kill/run toggle switch and starter button you describe in the last post.
You can take this switch off and check for bad solder connections, or burned contacts too, before buying a new one. It can often be easily repaired.

The "ignition switch" is the one that the ignition key goes into.

If I may, I would like to make a suggestion to anyone asking a question on this board. Take a minute to determine if the name you give a part could be mistaken for another. Describe its location, appearance, and function as best you can in the opening post (OP). ie does it rotate, toggle, have wires or hoses attached, etc. It will help you get an accurate answer faster too.:)

#13 ·
I didn`t mean to point the finger just at you Walter. It is a general reminder to everyone to be as accurate and precise as possible in your writing.:smiley_th

#14 ·
Mea culpa, I confess, I'm guilty too! I meant to say the little starter button switch thingey! :doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.