Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a new battery after having to constintly charge mine. Now the 2nd one is dead. Did a test on the positive and neg while running.

at idle it reads 12.30 and at 4000 rpms it reads 12.5.

What should my next move be? :hitanykey

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Test the stator for AC voltage. Pull the three yellow wires out of the bullet connectors and test with the bike running. 20VAC~70VAC is expected from idle to ~4000RPM. Check resistance lead to lead. Should be ~same. Test each to ground/case. Should be inf.
If the stator passes all of these tests, then the R/R is suspect. I have a suspicion that bad design/placement of the R/R causes it to fail, ultimately taking the stator with it....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
two of the wires read 25.** and one reads 1.*

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
acv...not sure how to test ohms.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
You are testing in pairs, right? So you mean to say one pair is 1VAC? if so, I think you got a bad stator........

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry i am not real handy with a meter. (while running) I unplugged each yellow wire separately one at a time and hooked my red wire from the meter to the lead and the black of my meter to the body of the bike. Thats how i took the reading from each wire. Then (with the bike off) i did the same with the meter in ohm setting. only one of the wires gave a reading in the ohms setting. Are there any videos or diagrams on how to test? sorry im a computer guy not a mechanic...but im ready and willing to learn!

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Remove all three yellow wires and start the bike. Test AC voltage from one yellow wire to another one. There are three pairs....... example: three wires, 1, 2, and 3. Test AC voltage between pair 1,2 and pair 1,3 and 2,3.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahh ok. Do they need to go back in any particular order? I dont want to unplug and them plug back in to the wrong wire since there all yellow.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they all read .006 vac

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
no particular order is needed, but you can put tape on each side and mark them 1,2,3 if it makes you feel better. but its not needed

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
opps i was testing the wrong side...hahahah sorry. they all avg 20 vac and went up to 70 when rev'd!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmm so now what... also is it common for the bike to get really hot w/o the fan on? I pretty much have to have it on at all times when stopped.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts