498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Looks like you'll have a blast with that. When do you think you will have delivery?
Bronson

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
its a great idea for when we get so old we cant hold the bike up anymore but it might be about the same price to do the same mod to our bike

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
about $300 at current exchange rate.... I think he would have to pay me to take it away personally! It's got money pit written all over it...lol:)
Definitely. The funny thing is it's probably just the tensioners making that noise. How many times have we seen a spring change not fix the issue?

I think the chains stretch a bit, and go beyond the ability of the ACCT to hold them at bay, so even with a spring change it can't cope. MCCT keeps that constant pressure, and hopefully, keeps the chain happy and not-streching.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
If it wasnt in the UK, I'd try to grab it in a hearbeat...was just talking to KC and Merc about getting a basket case and making a trike (VN is set up fer it since the driveshaft)...and its a 700, and thats what I got...so know em well...this'd be a perfect winter project for me !!! Damn shipping !

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
More I think about it...more I wanna do a trike project....was a Yammy (I think) wreck at the junkyard when me and KC went...V-twin, guessing 750-1000 with driveshaft....stick a rear from a GM J-car in and done...lil steel and a Mig welder...man...cant wait till 2013 when I get my small pension !
First project is a welder, then a basket case, then a trip to the Doc's...I really miss building bikes !...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Definitely. The funny thing is it's probably just the tensioners making that noise. How many times have we seen a spring change not fix the issue?

I think the chains stretch a bit, and go beyond the ability of the ACCT to hold them at bay, so even with a spring change it can't cope. MCCT keeps that constant pressure, and hopefully, keeps the chain happy and not-streching.
I have a spare ACCT that I have converted to MCCT. The total adjustment possible extends the mushroom headed tensioner bolt out about 1/2 or 9/16 of an inch. If the new TOC springs won`t apply sufficient pressure to tighten the cam chains, go to MCCTs.

There are several threads outlining converting the stock ACCT body to an MCCT. The biggest objection to modifying a Kawi`s aluminum bodied ACCT seems to be the fear of the small threads at the top of the tower stripping out due to the relative softness/weakness of aluminum compared to TOC Manufacturing`s steel units. I overcame this possible weakness by using an idea gleaned from one of Wolfie`s posts. He suggested epoxying a 6 mm nut up inside the top of the tower for the adjustment screw to thrust against.

Hallelujah, the nut fits up there! The condition of the aluminum threads that held the little sealing cap screw is now irrelevant. The aluminum threads can even be drilled out if desired, as the nut will take all the thrust from the adjustment screw.

I got all the parts I needed for a buck.

1- M6 X 1.0 X 90mm long cap screw (bolt), which took about 5 minutes to run through a die to thread full length.
2- rubber/steel bonded sealing washers of slightly different diameters.
The larger one sitting against the ACCT body (and is equal to or slightly larger than the OD of the tensioner body) but the ID hole is too big to seal properly, so a second smaller washer with an ID that seals against the adjustment screw is placed on top.
2- plain 6 mm nuts to lock the adjustment screw.
Looking back I could have used just one (1) lock nut in their place.

I had 3 of the 6 mm flanged nuts that had held the licence plate mounting bracket and illumination lamp to the fender before moving the plate up directly under the taillight so it didn`t look and act like a mudflap.
I used one of those flanged nuts to epoxy up inside the ACCT body.
Probably no better or worse than using a plain 6mm nut but I used it just because I had one. <shrug>

I have not installed it yet, but have it mainly as a spare when needed.
Or I may install it on the front cylinder now as an experiment to see how well it works, and how well it stands up in the long run. :lockd::blah:

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Awesome, brother !!!! :smiley_th ...ya use what ya gots !!!! :beerchug:
..."specs" ?...whats specs ?????...and if ya aint got it, ya make it !!!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
i have an extra goldwing motor and frame.the only trouble is i have no paperwork for it.if the numbers are clean maybe can get a title through a title company(getnewtitle.com?)i have mocked it up as a trike and i thought it would look cool.it is a 1978 frame,so it is not a land yatch

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
No numbers, no prob....I know a guy in Yonkers that can fix that, lol....Goldwing, eh ?...hmmmmm...winter project ?...all I need is a MIG welder...the rest comes easy from favors owed, and old friends...
Wanna make the OCC theme bikes look bad ?...mwaa haaa haaaaaa.....
"Ya know Louie......." (Bogart)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
yeah my theme is usually no money.lol.i have a few other bikes that are much closer to running.my goldwing needs a water pump.my xs400 needs paint and a seat fabbed up,unless i cheat and buy a cafe seat.i also need to fab mounts for the fairing

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Im gonna camp in yer yard fer a few weeks...ya got a mig welder ? I may have one soon if I can work a trade....the guy dont use it, dont know how...but he needs stuff...gonna see what I can do....you got 220 ?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Im gonna camp in yer yard fer a few weeks...ya got a mig welder ? I may have one soon if I can work a trade....the guy dont use it, dont know how...but he needs stuff...gonna see what I can do....you got 220 ?
not in my shop.got it for stove and dryer,though.funny thing.my little brother was looking around for scrap(he knows not to take my "good"stuff)and he found a 220 cord with a plug down behind my house that was about 25 foot long inside a piece of pvc pipe.a 220 extension cord???i have a 115 mig,not sure of the amps

1 - 16 of 16 Posts