Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Well, I just completed (and passed BTW) my local BRC last weekend! :smiley_th

I know there have probably been similar threads in the past, but I just wanted to share my experience and possibly encourage other new riders.

I had logged absolutely zero hours in the saddle before taking the course and was excited to get started. There were still a few "nerves" going on -- you know, thinking "Will I suck at this? Will I lay the bike down?"

First morning out on the range the weather was overcast and rainy. This is a "rain or shine" class, so we got our introduction to motorcycling in some rather adverse conditions. Our gear (helmet, jacket, etc.) helped shed most of the water so we ended up just a little damp around the edges. (That is until the torrential downpour soaked us to the bone and drove us indoors).

We just laughed about the uncooperative weather, made the best of it and figured if we could succeed under conditions we wouldn't normally volunteer to ride in, then we'd be okay in fair weather.

I won't bore everyone with a detailed play-by-play, but here's the point:

I feel that taking the BRC was the best way I could have begun my motorcycling journey. Even if you have zero riding experience, the instructors make it easy to learn and begin gaining confidence with a few new found skills. The time and expense involved was well worth it.

I now have a better understanding of my strengths and weaknesses as a motorcyclist and have gained more insight into my responsibilities as a safe rider.

I'm still very much a beginner -- a single weekend class does not an expert make by any stretch. I will consider myself a beginner for a very long time to come. But now I have a solid foundation from which to build my skills and grow into the rider I am to become.

I highly recommend the BRC and look forward to taking the Experienced Rider Course sometime in the future.

Thanks for reading. Have you taken the course or are thinking about doing it? Please share your thoughts.

John

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
Well, written, and in line with what many others have said about BRC. I'd like to suggest that new riders also do an online search for motorcycle safety tips (here's one such site: http://www.msgroup.org/), and read David Hough's book, Proficient Motorcycling. Learning from others is one of the quickest ways to gain knowledge. The better we become at riding, the better the overall experience.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
I strongly agree that the BRC is the best choice for not just totally new riders, but for anyone. Many insurance companies now give discounts for those riders that take the course, so you not only save some money but might learn something that can save your life.

KM

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
i took the course with my wife and i had been riding for 10 years safety is always a good thing

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I plan to take the advanced course in the future. Basic course was excellent ..instructor had over 30 years riding everything. Plus, he was a former Marine Instructor...got used to being yelled at real quick. Made me stronger though.
:)

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
i want to go to fl and take the ride like a pro course

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Here`s a link to Liberty Pilots thread on "chair riding" practice when you can`t be on your bike. I have heard of everything from basketball teams to piano players using visualization to improve their performance. I recommend it, give it a try.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9996

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Definitely agree with taking the BRC no matter what level experience you "think" you have. I took mine early last Summer and it was well worth it. I plan on taking the ERC either later this yr or early next yr.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Based on my riding experience (having had both courses), I'd say you'd want at least 6-8k miles more riding, b4 you take the ERC. The point here is that you need some real riding time under your belt after taking the BRC, to really get a good return on your investment with the Experienced class.

Also: try to avoid climate extremes for your area when scheduling either class. I had to reschedule my BRC twice, because I took it in the fall and we were ducking hurricanes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I took the BRC as a means to both receive my motorcycle license and to brush up on my skills. I did quite a bit of dirt bike riding in my younger days and had been riding my Vulcan for the last year sans license, so I have some experience on bikes.

The course instructors both had over 30 years experience and did a heck of a job relaying that experience to us. The class consisted of 8 people, six of which had NO experience at all, and another that had ridden a small 50cc bike on a farm growing up.

It was a lot of fun watching my classmates go from no experience to being able to control the bikes. The instructors took us through all the baby steps (which bored me to death) but it was all worth it. I recommend everyone take these courses to brush up on skills and learn new ones.

For those that think "I've been riding 30 years, they can't teach me anything" you may find out how wrong you are. Both of my instructors have failed a few riders with that much "experience." Experience means absolutely nothing if you're doing things the wrong way, and trust me we ALL have bad habits. I heard 4 different instructors say how they would rather deal with people with no experience, than have to break the bad habits of so called experienced riders. I for one plan on taking the IRC an the ERC in the years to come. I want to know I have given myself the best chance for survival when that moment arrives, and it will.

Stay safe out there, and remember learning to ride is a marathon, not a sprint. Although sprinting is a lot more fun. :motorcycl:

RR

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Took the BRC fives years ago? Sounds like it's time for you to sign up for a BRC2 class.

http://msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?pagename=RiderCourse Info&content=C55DBB87-A0CC-53D5-64D098C9870C8030&referer=MSF RiderCourses

"Basic RiderCourse 2 - Skills Practice (BRC2-SP) [formerly ERC Suite]
Similar to BRC2 - License Waiver RiderCourse, but consists of only the riding exercises. It is a perfect way to reinforce basic skills on one's personal motorcycle. Passengers are permitted with a licensed operator on a personal motorcycle."

-Sloppy

·
Registered
11 Posts
I take my BRC next week. Just picked up my Vulcan last night. just moving it, I realized how long it has been since I've riden, and won't be taking it out until I get some skills back under my belt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Finished the BRC today. Started off on a bad foot , the bike I had been riding, was crashed in the morning session. All went well up until the final riding test, woman in front of me who had been riding well the whole course, dumped her bike during the quick stop. She locked up the brakes and took a tumble. Wouldn't you know it , lock up my breaks too, but managed to keep the bike upright and in a straight line.
Spoke to the instructor afterwards about it, he said he was a bit surprised that I managed to keep it rubber side down and under control. At least know I know what I need to practice more off.

It is a great course, and well worth the time and effort of attending. The Instructors will take the time to work with you on any and all issues you may be experiencing to get you through the course.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
How much do these things cost ???...Hell, I taught many of the guys that teach em (most of them were sperm when I began riding)....I'll do it fer half.... ;)
Feed ya too...

Ya know...brainstorm...Im gonna open up my own motorctycle school, lol...no sheit...teach em how to sneak by in inspections and all....
Thanks fer the idea guys ! :smiley_th :beerchug:

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Ya know, PA is a way cool state (commonwealth)...like NH....I live right over the border in NY state, and used to go to the free Fish and Game shooting ranges in Hawley (guess im using yer tax dollars now...sorry brah...but I pick up my targets and brass, and nobody even knows i been there....
3 best states in the NE are PA, NH, and Maine....Vermont is "okay"...

Add yerself to the member map brother...could have others close to you...

·
Registered
384 Posts
I plan on taking the local Star course this fall. I have taken them in the past, and you always learn something new.
I'm taking it to lower my bike insurance. Right now mine is $18.53 a month, but that also comes with under/non insured in case someone hits me with no insurance. Plus I have a speeding ticket that will go away in 8/13 which will lower as well.
A good course is always a good idea no matter how much experience you have.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
A good course is always a good idea no matter how much experience you have.
Sometimes they try to teach the wrong thing to older riders...I know this for a fact, because most of the "teachers' have only ridden for 5 yrs themselves....its fine for noobs...but guys whove ridden for 30 yrs or more, their "methods" screw them up....
A friend (60yrs old) took a course to lower his insurance...he tried their "suggested evasive manuevers", and almost lost a leg...he's involved in a lawsuit now, stating that what is being taught doesnt apply to reality. He's 100% right, and Im gonna testify in case...."lay the bike down" they taught him....he did, and the pickup ran over his leg with the bike in between....

These courses are only good for noobs....

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I took mine mabey 6 months ago great instructor. Before I went I found a book called the proficent motorcyclelist. Helpd a lot since I had never been on a bike before. I suprised my teacher. To be new and out on the course the first time I pussed more than other and drug foot pegs all over the course wat great fun it was am wanting to take advanced course soon.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts