Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just because I like getting all my ducks in a row before poking at things.

In the DC area it has rained about 3-4 inches in the past two days. In between storms to avoid parking tickets ("street cleaning" in this town) I fired up the bike to move it. As I backed off the choke it changed tune as if I had the petcock on "off". It stayed at the right rpms but had a sluggish throttle response. Drove it 3 blocks and it was acting like I was shifting at too low an rpm and it was making an odd almost backfire noise occasionally as if it was under water. I left it on when I parked and the front cylinder exhaust wasn't hot and I could faintly smell some gas.

This makes me think I either have a stuck float or no spark. Since I haven't messed with these things yet I just had some dopey questions:

To check for spark, all I would need to do is remove a plug, ground it against the engine case and hit the start button right? Preferably not zapping myself.

For a float, I should drain the front carb bowl via screw, find the line from the petcock that goes to the front carb and put some seafoam in there over night, drain, and give it a go. How much seafoam would folks recommend/which hose?

I am leaning towards spark since it rained a lot and the wires prob haven't been changed ever (1994/29k miles).

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
191 Posts
wait until everything is 100% dry.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a very good point. If the problem fixes itself I couldn't ask for better.

Should be dry tonight or the very latest tomorrow.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That is a very good point. If the problem fixes itself I couldn't ask for better.

Should be dry tonight or the very latest tomorrow.
Well almost :) If you think everything is dry and it's still not running right you might need to ride her or at lest keep it running to dry out any unseen moisture..

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Just because I like getting all my ducks in a row before poking at things.

In the DC area it has rained about 3-4 inches in the past two days. In between storms to avoid parking tickets ("street cleaning" in this town) I fired up the bike to move it. As I backed off the choke it changed tune as if I had the petcock on "off". It stayed at the right rpms but had a sluggish throttle response. Drove it 3 blocks and it was acting like I was shifting at too low an rpm and it was making an odd almost backfire noise occasionally as if it was under water. I left it on when I parked and the front cylinder exhaust wasn't hot and I could faintly smell some gas.

This makes me think I either have a stuck float or no spark. Since I haven't messed with these things yet I just had some dopey questions:

To check for spark, all I would need to do is remove a plug, ground it against the engine case and hit the start button right? Preferably not zapping myself.

For a float, I should drain the front carb bowl via screw, find the line from the petcock that goes to the front carb and put some seafoam in there over night, drain, and give it a go. How much seafoam would folks recommend/which hose?

I am leaning towards spark since it rained a lot and the wires prob haven't been changed ever (1994/29k miles).

Thanks for the help!
Coul;d be moisture in the fuel tank or moisture in the air filters. If you still have the ears, pull out the foam filters and dry them out. A can of dry gas in the tank might help.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think I figured it out.

I started it up today since it was bone dry and it idled/reved great. I started looking at my plug wires and they looked fine. Was about to fuss with them when I looked up a touch on the left side of the bike. Turns out my carb boot was only seated about halfway on! I'm going to replace the screw since it is stripped but I am assuming this is the culprit (and probably why I have been popping a tad more on decel). If you guys feel differently- steer me in the right direction.

I used to own a cover. One of those "It's not just a bike" ones that are silver at the top. Was pretty worthless. Let in plenty of rainwater and not just condensation. I have been lazy getting a better one.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts