Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
wanderer
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my left bar grip has begun to slide off the bar. I did manage to coax it back on once now it is comming off again. I know there was some sort of glue on it originaly but what can I do to prevent this from happing again?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Ok my left bar grip has begun to slide off the bar. I did manage to coax it back on once now it is comming off again. I know there was some sort of glue on it originaly but what can I do to prevent this from happing again?
Hairspray, or you can buy grip glue.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
I use super glue

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Dude, use the golf grip tape available at Academy Sports. One strip around or two...and then slap some gorilla glue from home depot or super glu...and that bad boy aint coming off!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I use athletic or Rx bandage tape on the handle bar.

DT

·
Registered
738 Posts
I installed thin film type heated grips (Symtec) and used hair spray to adhere the grips over the heating elements. Hair spray allows for easy removal if you ever want to replace the grips.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
This is interesting. Mine is about an inch and a half off the end also. How did you get it to go back up? Mine is hard as hell to move. Soapy water perhaps?

·
Registered
738 Posts
This is interesting. Mine is about an inch and a half off the end also. How did you get it to go back up? Mine is hard as hell to move. Soapy water perhaps?
If it were me, I would remove the grips completely, clean and reinstall. Less chance of tearing the grips that way. I took my OEM grips of using simple rubbing alcohol. Gently peel back the end of the grip, pour some rubbing alcohol in, work it down the grip by gently twisting back and forth, add more, twist and pop, off they came.

The hairspray (use any 'super hold' product) will initially act as a lubricate for slipping the grips back on, then it will set. You only have a few seconds before the hairspray sets so work fast! Once set the hairspray will hold the grips in place, but allow for future damage free removal using rubbing alcohol.

·
wanderer
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! What quick and great replies! :smiley_th

This is the procedure I followed:
I used the rubbing alcohol to remove the grip just drizzled a little on the bar and worked the grip a bit and repeated then the grip came off easily. I cleaned the bar with the alcohol and the inside of the grip.

Then because I am the impatient type I used the air hose to blow out and dry the grip. I slid it on part way to test it and painted the rest of the bar with the hair spray. A few taps with the palm of my hand and the grip slid right on. The whole thing took only about 5 minutes.

Thanks again :motorcycl

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
trying this tonight... Have the same issue with the left grip. Would like to eventually upgrade to better grips... Any cheap suggestions?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
trying this tonight... Have the same issue with the left grip. Would like to eventually upgrade to better grips... Any cheap suggestions?
Check the Ebay link in the forums. If you want cheap, there are some under $10.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=kawasaki vn750&_dmpt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&_fln=1&_sop=2&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282&Part%20Type=Grips

If you want good, and larger diameter, check the sell and swap forum on here today for a pair of Kuryakans for $45
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16400

1 - 13 of 13 Posts