Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I searched and the results weren't really definitive, and didn't match the pic in the manual. The manual shows it using the mark that's right below the four drill holes, some pics here conflicted.

Finishing up the stator job, I have to redo the mark alignment because I know they aren't lined up. I was tired, it was late, and sealer was setting up, so I stuck the cover on to set the grommet in silicone.

My question is: Which of the four marks on the rotor is used to line up the damper gear?

Another thing:

Didn't mark the shaft myself when I took the damper gear loose.

The manual shows a dot on the shaft to line up the gear. Mine doesn't have it. It does have a painted stripe in a low groove of the shaft splines, but that stripe is a tooth and a half away from the line on the sprocket when I put the gear on the shaft.

In other words, the splined part can only go on the shaft two ways and still be close to the stripe with the line on the sprocket, but the line is still 1.5 teeth away from the stripe. The teeth are big, so it's quite distance to be off, if this is the alignment.

I don't know how to line this up. ???

Which rotor mark, and how to line up the damper on it's shaft?

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody?

Was hoping to work on it some tonight and tomorrow, getting so busy now, and I'll be gone Fri-Sun. Same next weekend. Maybe I'll get caught up soon, but the marks have me stalled.

Stripe and no dot on the balance shaft.... four marks on the rotor....

Don't want to shake the guts out of it, just dropped cash on new dampers, stator, and all that.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
According to the manual I have, there should be punch marks on both the balancer gear and the shaft it slides onto. They will need to be aligned onto one another.

The pictures are not the clearest, but it looks like the shaft mark is offset. I haven't found anything about alignment in relation to the rotor. Sorry.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah, that's half the problem, there's no punch marks, just the stripe. When I try to line up the only mark (scribe line for use on the rotor alignment) it's a tooth and a half off to either side because the splines are so large.

Didn't punch it myself because there are supposed to be marks. Others have reported the stripe, but they just said "line it up with the stripe"... line up what with the stripe? lol

edit: Somehow I think this may be covered in a 2003 supplement to the manual, which isn't in the downloaded manual, must not be in the Clymer/Hayne's books either.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Yeah, that's half the problem, there's no punch marks, just the stripe. When I try to line up the only mark (scribe line for use on the rotor alignment) it's a tooth and a half off to either side because the splines are so large.

Didn't punch it myself because there are supposed to be marks. Others have reported the stripe, but they just said "line it up with the stripe"... line up what with the stripe? lol

edit: Somehow I think this may be covered in a 2003 supplement to the manual, which isn't in the downloaded manual, must not be in the Clymer/Hayne's books either.
Did you look on the back side of the gear? I noticed in the manual, the starter clutch has a mark on the back side of it. Maybe that's where the gears' marks are, too?

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll double check when I get in there, but I was checking everything all over, real close.

The only other mark was a small circle on the gear itself with some rough casting on it, just looks like something from the mold.

What a way to line something up! I don't see any info about how to get this in phase any other way. Trial and error is really, really, going to be a pain in the keilbasa.

People! Punch mark these parts yourself before removal and spare the headaches later!

Must have become too expensive to mark everything in the 21st century.

**************************************************************************************

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
I'll double check when I get in there, but I was checking everything all over, real close.

The only other mark was a small circle on the gear itself with some rough casting on it, just looks like something from the mold.

What a way to line something up! I don't see any info about how to get this in phase any other way. Trial and error is really, really, going to be a pain in the keilbasa.

People! Punch mark these parts yourself before removal and spare the headaches later!

Must have become too expensive to mark everything in the 21st century. QUOTE]

When you get a chance, see how the gear lines up with the shaft using the rough spot you found. Could be the punch mark faded over the years.

I was looking at the pics again. It appears the shifter side gear has a punch on its face really close to a tooth. The other side has a punch on the back side sorta half way between the outer edge and center of gear.

There has to be something on them to help alignment.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright good, that's something to look for, I don't recall checking the teeth real close. I don't think the download manual shows that mark either.

Do you mean a tooth on the outer edge of the gear (teeth that mesh with the rotor)? Or a tooth on the inner edge at the splines? I now there's nothing on the inner edge, nor the shaft besides that stripe.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Alright good, that's something to look for, I don't recall checking the teeth real close. I don't think the download manual shows that mark either.

Do you mean a tooth on the outer edge of the gear (teeth that mesh with the rotor)? Or a tooth on the inner edge at the splines? I now there's nothing on the inner edge, nor the shaft besides that stripe.
Yeah, the inner teeth which mesh with shaft is what I meant. The download manual (might be the same one you have) I have indicated a dark spot which it indicated to be a punch mark on the face near / on an inner tooth. This was for the shifter side gear. The clutch side indicated a mark on the back side of the gear half way between outer teeth and inner teeth.

I hope you get this figured out.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
One last thought. I noticed the balancer gear can separate allowing access to dampeners. Look on that piece for the punch marks. The picture in the book showed the punch mark slightly obscured by the outer piece (cover). This would be for the shifter side gear.

Something else. It appears the punch mark is aligned to the open hole of the balancer gear. Align that with the mark on the shaft and see where that gets you.

I'm going to bed now.... ZZZZZzzzzzzz........

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help, I hope I get figured out too.

I looked all around the inside of both pieces because of the pic in the manual, and sort of all over too. I recall checking out the hole with alignment, for some reason I decided not to use it. Bright lights with extreme closeups and still no marks that I saw.

I'll post pics when I get it opened up again.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Blind Squirrel Finds Nut - film at 11

Well kids, old age is no picnic. I'm feeling kinda dumb right now.

I found the marks, right where they should be, don't know why I couldn't see them the other night, except I should have waited and done it later. Was more exhausted than I thought.

Balance weight mark is a dot, straight across from the big pin. This dot lines up with the light blue stripe on the balance shaft.

The rotor mark is the one on the rear edge of the rotor, right beside the gear. None of the marks out front have anything to do with this. The back rotor mark lines up with the line on the balance gear.

And the final alignment of the rotor and damper gear:

It takes all these to do this job twice:

Thanks blaze for checking that out. :doh:

Saved the gasket and got to use my puller twice.

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
whats with the pennies? I think ill have to do this this summer or winter ?

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha, I thought everyone recognized those. If you don't have a better way to hold the gears from turning when you break the bolts loose, you put the penny between the gears. Softer penny doesn't damage the teeth, but holds enough to get 91lbs on the rotor bolt.

Have to switch directions for the left-hand threaded bolt in the damper gear, and they're both blue Loctite'd.

I used my long suture tweezers to place the penny, almost bit my fingers a couple of times.

I found the perfect length to wedge the engine away from the frame for the engine tilt. I'll get a measurement when the wooden mallet comes back out of it's spot on the front head. I was able to pull the stator cover while talking on the phone, there was so much room.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts