Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Yellow 1986 VN750
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the murder hornet running and it's been my daily driver for the past couple months (10 miles to and from work everyday). It has been running great so I thought I'd put some miles on it over the weekend and see how comfortable itll been on a 150 mile burn up the mountains and back.

Drove through town and made it to the freeway when I noticed a bit of ticking and an occasional clank. Nothing rythmic, real spontaneous. For a mile it would stop then return again. Turned around and got it back home. Took a stethoscope (aka screwdriver) and got to work pin pointing the sound. At this point it was constantly clanking. Ended up zeroing in on the left side case where the infamous balancer/dampers live. Pulled the stator cover and pickup coils. Felt sick to my stomach when I peeped into the cut out for the pickups at the balancer. The bolt for the balancer was GONE and I could jiggle the gear on the shaft freely through the hole.

So using some suggestions and pictures for the engine tilt from Spockster I pulled the left case cover. As soon as I pulled the cover the bolt and washer tumbled out.

I think I caught it before any real damaged happened. The balancer gear was working on chewing through the case leaving the metal shaving all over the stator cover. A few light dings on the rotor but nothing bad. I found a replacement balancer and set of dampers as the old ones where grenaded. I plan on flushing out the oil pan with kerosene to hopefully get out any metal shavings. Ordered up a tuxedo plate as I don't want to go through the hassle of pulling the left cover ever again.

What would of caused this bolt to back out on its own? When I install the new bolt would there be wisdom in locktite? Also since I'm this deep any thing else I should look at accomplishing? Thanks

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
Definitely Loctite as listed in the repair manual, torque to spec.

Try to analyze condition of the damper bushings, if they break apart you get to pull the cover again.

·
Registered
Yellow 1986 VN750
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took a week or so waiting on parts & gaskets but we're running again. Replaced the balancer & gear along with dampers. Would of been easier having a garage or shop; wrenching on a gravel driveway and keeping everything clean is a bear.

Took the opportunity to do the tux mod and ear shave which was straight forward with this forum as a guide. Jetted 142 on the main, 42 pilot and added a shim under the needle.

Seemed to have more vibrations at 3-5k which had me worried I installed the balancer wrong but things smoothed out after tuning fuel mixture and synching. Not sure why synch got so far off unless I threw it off pulling the carbs. So much easier to install without surge tank in place.

Thanks for the help provided here. Hopefully I can do more riding than wrenching! Haha

1 - 3 of 3 Posts