Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking that I might make a home use tire balance stand, and be able to check my own from time to time... Has anyone done this and maybe have a drawing or sketch as to what they did...??? Shouldn't cost too much, as 4 good roller bearings and a bit of metal would be all it takes... I am thinking about 8" inside bearing clearance, and about 16" tall... Does that sound about right...??? What do y'all think...???
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
476 Posts
about 20 years ago I used to do my own and just used 2 - 5 gal buckets. Cheap and easy enough for me :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
A guy could build one like this. Balancer This might give you some ideas. Just found this page More balancers

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Glenn, that "Tachyon" wheel balancer looks pretty doggone good for the money, if I understand things right I might even wind up buying one instead of building... Looks to me like $140 with the Alum. cones...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have an old CB750 swing arm welded to to angle iron brackets. I use it for truing and balancing. Only good for skinny wheels under a 150 though

·
Registered
311 Posts
Old Dog
It's a very nice unit and I do like the way the cones work, but I'm the type of guy, that If I see something I can build for less money, I build it. But that's me, I'm retired and I have the time and tools.
When I did mine I ridged up a temporary set-up using a decent set of bearings I had laying around the shop and used the bike axles for the shafts. It seemed to work pretty good, I know you didn't want to spin the wheel very hard or you would have a long wait for it to stop.
If I was going to do a lot of wheels, I would build one similar to Rod Neffs and use some high precision bearings for little more accuracy.
I know I could build one for a lot less than the asking price of any of ones I've seen, Maybe I should build one and see if it would sell.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glenn, you are right, I think I got hung up on the cones, really like them... But on the other hand the much simpler adjustable side would work just as good and use your axle... I am also retired, don't have the tools, but have a good friend in a machine shop (sort of like having a friend that has a good garden...LOL...)... I think you are right, put the money in good bearings and friendship...lol...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts