Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read another post about vibrations... didn't want to be accused of thread jacking, so here's a new one. Although now I may be accused of starting a new thread for no reason lol.

Imagine your balance dampers (or dampeners, don't know which is the right word) go out and start to disintegrate... you should notice this when you change the oil, by seeing small pieces of plastic in the oil screen.

Now, imagine that you pay no attention to it at all and just keep riding and doing oil changes.

Is there a point when there will be no more plastic bits in the oil screen at all and the bike is still ride-able?

I ask because my bike isn't smooth at all, plus it has a certain clanking sound. I've suspected the balance dampers, but I've never seen plastic bits in the oil screen on any oil change. No plastic bits and no metal shavings either.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I just read another post about vibrations... didn't want to be accused of thread jacking, so here's a new one. Although now I may be accused of starting a new thread for no reason lol.

Imagine your balance dampers (or dampeners, don't know which is the right word) go out and start to disintegrate... you should notice this when you change the oil, by seeing small pieces of plastic in the oil screen.

Now, imagine that you pay no attention to it at all and just keep riding and doing oil changes.

Is there a point when there will be no more plastic bits in the oil screen at all and the bike is still ride-able?

I ask because my bike isn't smooth at all, plus it has a certain clanking sound. I've suspected the balance dampers, but I've never seen plastic bits in the oil screen on any oil change. No plastic bits and no metal shavings either.
I would imagine the dampers still could be bad. They can also shrink, and not break apart, which can cause the vibration/noise.

Edit: May want to get manual cam chain tensioners to eliminate cam chain noise as the knocking/clacking.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Edit: May want to get manual cam chain tensioners to eliminate cam chain noise as the knocking/clacking.
I do WANT to get them, I just don't have the cash for them lol

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should probably just take the engine out and rebuild it... but last time I was looking at parts, it was over $500 and I just stopped looking.

Might have to investigate just how much money I'd need for a rebuild. An engine from 85 should need a rebuild by now.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I should probably just take the engine out and rebuild it... but last time I was looking at parts, it was over $500 and I just stopped looking.

Might have to investigate just how much money I'd need for a rebuild. An engine from 85 should need a rebuild by now.
Changing balance dampers took me less than an hour after the engine was out. A rebuild is going 100 steps further than you need to, so just do the dampers and stator if needed. :smiley_th

·
Registered
29 Posts
Since you were so kind not to hijack my thread, how about I hijack yours! :)

Quick question: Are there any shortcuts to doing this job? Can you remove the engine mounts and just shift the engine, or do you really need to remove the whole thing?

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
ceal you said your s has a " clacking " noise is this all the time or at a certain rpm?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
There was no way that I could of done that job without engine removal. I did hear of some one doing it with the engine tilt.
Agreed. By the time I got the engine to a point where it could be tilted, it was only an extra 10 minutes to get it completely out. Would have been pointless to try to just tilt it.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Changing balance dampers took me less than an hour after the engine was out. A rebuild is going 100 steps further than you need to, so just do the dampers and stator if needed. :smiley_th
Well, I haven't done any engine tear downs in years, so it'll probably take me a lot longer than that lol.

If I try to change the dampers I feel like I'm gonna open the engine and find a whole bunch of stuff wrong in there lol I dunno, I'm a little bit afraid of even looking in there XD

I think a stator change would definitely be the right thing to do if I do take the engine out. Along with a mosfet RR just to top it off.

Or I should probably just get another bike lol.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Well, I haven't done any engine tear downs in years, so it'll probably take me a lot longer than that lol.

If I try to change the dampers I feel like I'm gonna open the engine and find a whole bunch of stuff wrong in there lol I dunno, I'm a little bit afraid of even looking in there XD

I think a stator change would definitely be the right thing to do if I do take the engine out. Along with a mosfet RR just to top it off.

Or I should probably just get another bike lol.
There isn't much to see behind the generator cover. Just the rotor, stator, dampener. Everything else is hidden away from view. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There isn't much to see behind the generator cover. Just the rotor, stator, dampener. Everything else is hidden away from view. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Hmm... you may be right. I'll look into what parts I need and how much they'll cost.

I've been trying to avoid any work that involves taking out the engine, but I suppose it's better to do it before I get any internal parts sticking out of the case lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts