Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad news so soon after posting my forum introduction message,

Last night at 2AM I was riding home, heading down a graded road that leads to a bridge to my neighborhood. It had rained earlier, and the roads were still slightly wet. I was coasting down behind a wagon, when the wagon slammed on the brakes at a green light intersection as I believe the driver made a last minute decision to make a turn. I quickly applied my brakes, entered into a two wheel skid, and dumped the bike toward the left. I was wearing gauntlets, armored riding jacket, and full helmet, so I luckily escaped serious injury and just ended up stoving my hand and getting some road rash on my knee, but my bike slid another seven feet or so. I had not been drinking that night and was completely sober.

The bike took mostly cosmetic damage, but some of it appears severe. Both turn signals were ground down and shattered, the headlight casing was badly dented, and the speedometer housing bent. The rear passenger peg snapped off, and the engine guard and exhaust heat shield were badly ground. The fuel tank also sustained a deep circular dent where my boot hit it. This morning, my insurance adjuster advised me to have the bike towed to their lot, and indicated that I should expect the bike to be totaled. He estimated that if I sign over the title I would get back 2200, plus the value of the jardine pipes and the engine guard, plus sales tax. I had initially paid 1500 for the bike, plus tax and title, with probably another 800 dollars in battery, tires and installation, rejetting, and assorted other parts.

Any advice?

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Take the money and use it as a down payment on a new bike.
X2 on that... Oh, and I'm experienced (about the totaled bike)...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad spill ! Its sad when our girls get hurt. X3 take the $ and put it on a new bike or atleast a newer one.

·
Put music to our troubles
15 Posts
Sorry to hear about your spill unclebadass, but I'm glad you made it through fairly unscathed.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Take the money, first try to get more money, they will always lowball you to see if you take it. ask for more, what can they say but no.
PS my Nomad is for sale.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Glad to hear (or read) that you came out of this basically ok--after all, that's what REALLY matters anyway.

You've unfortunately found one of the real weaknesses of this bike--it doesn't have anti-lock brakes.

In a "panic" situation, it is sometimes all too easy to grab too much front and/or rear brake. Depending on the available traction and the other dynamics of the given situation, the bike can then slide out from under you. This has also happened to me (albeit not in wet conditions--at least, not yet).

Take a lesson from what has happened to you here, and don't let it happen to you again.

How's that, you may ask? Make sure your next bike has anti-lock brakes. Then, if you later grab too much brake, the electronics will bail you out (assuming the bike isn't leaned over much). Thus, it's just another ride--and not a crash.

Let us know what you end up with, regardless.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
thats what I was thinkinking, buy it back from the ins, company and pick up parts here and there and buy you another bike!

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
oh, glad you were okay! thats the side i layed mine down on hitting a dog at 60mph, me and the bike slid 65 yards but both sustained far less damage than you and your bike did, it was raining too. you just never know what kind of damage will result of an accident!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Sorry to hear of your mishap there uba$$. :(
Only you can determine what is the best course of action in either totalling the bike or repairing it.

After my accident, and whenever I hear of another motorcycle accident, I ask myself;
"What could the rider have done differently to prevent it".
In your case it seems that if you had increased your following distance on a wet gravel road by a couple of seconds that you probably would not have crashed.

One thing we can count on when riding is that we always have to expect the unexpected, and give ourselves the time and space to respond accordingly.

I have learned much from spending many hours on the msgroup safety site reading the 260+ safety tips and two of the forums there, namely:
1. Sharing of Lessons Learned, and
2. Motorcycle Accident Reports (WITH COMMENTS)
http://www.msgroup.org/

I highly recommend all riders here bookmark this link, come to it often, and read a few of the tips and threads that catch your interest. Many/most of us do not live where we can ride all year long. This is one way to stay sharp and thinking about MC safety even in the "off season".

Except for the wind, we have had nice riding weather here in southern Alberta for the past 2 weeks. It can`t last forever, Old Man Winter will be showing his face sooner or later. :(

Wishing all who are riding today fair weather and twisty roads. :smiley_th Keep the shiny side up.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Decisions, decisions...

The ultimate choice is of course all yours....but....

He estimated that if I sign over the title I would get back 2200, plus the value of the jardine pipes and the engine guard, plus sales tax. I had initially paid 1500 for the bike, plus tax and title, with probably another 800 dollars in battery, tires and installation, rejetting, and assorted other parts.
So, you'll actually getting back closer to $2800, right ? And your total outlay was $2300...well, instant profit, but no bike.
What you can do though, is take the cash, buy a used bike for mebbe $1800, and used the rest to fix it up....or, do what I did :
When I had my only accident ever with my Harley, I requested a repair estimate. Also, within one week, the cage owners lawyer sent me a cert mail with an offer of $1800 to repair (my shop estimated $1200)...I took it (the 1800). My shop's estimate was made using stock, new parts, plus labor. Well, that was just an estimate for the suits an ties. Being a custom shop, they repaired it with mostly used/rebuit parts the way "I" wanted it done. Bill came out to $900. So I made $900 on the deal, plus after one year a "pain and suffering" lawsuit won me another $14,000 (this was 29 yrs ago, mind you).
With the additional $900, I had the bike custom painted, AND threw a pigroast for a few of my Angel-ic friends, lol. With the $14,000, I bought a tournament bass boat, and used the rest for bills. Granted, i was in great pain for about a month, and severely de-mobilized for 2 more, but IMO still made out ahead. I sold the bike 2 yrs later for 3x more than what I bought/invested in it, due to all the custom stuff in part.
Really, its up to you, but do the math. Buying another used bike, you may be buying another's headaches. You KNOW the bike you have now, and it doesnt need all that much, IMO. Mostly bolt-ons.
Best of luck, bro...

·
Super Moderator
11,869 Posts
With apologies to Falco...it's just a bike. Bikes are girlfreinds, not wives. Life is short and there are MANY bikes out there, why limit yourself to just one?

It's going to cost a bit to replace all those pieces.. A gas tank alone a few hundred... When all is said and done you'll still have a ten year old bike with perhaps even older parts, and have spent all that money just to get back where you started.

Now if the insurane company was going to pay for all those parts, might be worth the time and trouble... But instead they want to give you $2200 for a bike that's not worth half that now.... And you still got to ride her all this time up to right now for basically free.

If you have ridden alot of bikes and found the 750 to be the best you ever had, you can go through the work and money to fix her up.... Or just find another perhaps newer VN for that 2200 bucks. Or ....

shop around and find something newer/different or something you like more. I've owned alot of bikes, but there are still many I'd like to ride or own before I die. Turn your accident into a free ticket to try something else...

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Yeah, I understand the lure of restoring your bike to what it was, and from your pics yours was pretty sweet, and I definitely love my vn, but seriously, I gotta
agree with knifemaker. Maybe if the tank wasn't toast you could pick up the other parts at a boneyard or online but the love us members have for this bike far exceeds its actual worth. As far as I know it isn't officially recognized as a collectors motorcycle and some have said it's worth more parting out than selling whole. That tells ya something. Uba, if you are partial to the vn, someone recently posted one for sale at a grand and it looks pristine with low miles. Can't remember who it is but that's a very fair price. Good luck with everything. I wish ya the best.

PS: found the bike I was thinkin of from lumpy. And also clocks is selling his, althought not road ready yet.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19922

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19823

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
..."baaaaahhhhh"....*sheepwink*....and like I stated, its ultimately up to you...you might go a year w/o finding another though...wanna do that ?... a fix would be mebbe a month tops...my Vulc is my only transport, so I'd have no choice, but if ya got money and other wheels, do as ya please....good luck to ya though whichever way ya go....

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
I don't know how many has dealt with Insurance Claims but in My experience they always try to Low ball Me. So maybe the Insurance Co. knows more about what these VN750s are worth then some here on this forum.

If you keep telling everyone what you have isn't worth anything then it won't be when you go to sell it.

When all is said and done you'll still have a ten year old bike .
.. But instead they want to give you $2200 for a bike that's not worth half that now.... ...

·
Super Moderator
11,869 Posts
Well it is important to carry the right kind, and the right amount of insurance. We went o er this awhile back in an insurance thread ...but to recap.... Many are clueless on what their insurance actually covers, and just assume things they really need to ask about.

I have "replacement cost" insurance on my bike , the add ons I installed, and on my gear. If I total the bike, instead of looking at the "blue book" value, they look at regional ads for what that particular model/year/ miles is being sold for.

This is more important to have on older vehicles. My 76 El Camino was blue booked at 500 bucks. But try and find one with a perfect body and a rebuilt motor for that. I had it insured for 3 grand.

Some insurance companies won't pay you over a certain amount for damaged gear, and some will only cover the bike.

So...before you wreak your bike...ask your agent specifically what is covered...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi all, and I would like to say thanks for all the responses... I appreciate the help and concern.

I have been concentrating on recovery and trying not to think about the insurance options too much till they get back to me with an actual assessment and offer this week. I had my parts x-rayed today, and luckily no bones were broken... just some ground down skin on the knee and some sprained tendons. I have been thinking about the accident a lot, and what OlHoss said is absolutely true... I was in an unfamiliar situation (steep downhill, wet road, nighttime) and with more cautious riding it wouldn't have happened. Good learning experience.

The points people have brought up in the thread have gone through my mind as well... and like what Knifemaker and Daves mentioned, the condition of the bike did not seem too bad... until I saw the fuel tank. Though I love the bike, if Progressive offers me a decent offer I'm going to take it.. with a grad student income it doesn't make sense to put myself in the red.

One question though... what advice do people have regarding buying back salvage? A friend of mine told me about his experience after wrecking his Triumph and having the insurance company total the bike and give him a $3K payout. He turned around and bought the bike back as salvage for 500 bucks, and fixed it up with part of the profit. Is this something you can typically do? If so, it seems like a no-brainer. I could probably buy back the bike, fix it up piecemeal, and have enough left over to get a second ride. What is the catch?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts