Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
n00b
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if the same mechanics i've learned on cars over the years are going to apply to my newly aquired project vulcan.

If i remove the baffles from the pipes, I'll not only increase the sound level, but potentially adda bit of mid range tourque over the stock configuration?

and for future reference, what's a great set of pipes to go with if i'm looking for the best bang for the buck?

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
vance and hines makes a set of pipes for my 86 vulcan 750 that are only $384 with free shipping i forget the website

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Just curious if the same mechanics i've learned on cars over the years are going to apply to my newly aquired project vulcan.

If i remove the baffles from the pipes, I'll not only increase the sound level, but potentially adda bit of mid range tourque over the stock configuration?

and for future reference, what's a great set of pipes to go with if i'm looking for the best bang for the buck?
No, just the opposite. Removing the baffles will reduce back pressure and will decrease low and mid range torque. The only benefit you have with no baffles is at high rpms at WOT. The pipes are going to be very loud.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
vance and hines makes a set of pipes for my 86 vulcan 750 that are only $384 with free shipping i forget the website
eBay has a set for $355 shipped.

V&H Cruzers #31363

·
n00b
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, just the opposite. Removing the baffles will reduce back pressure and will decrease low and mid range torque. The only benefit you have with no baffles is at high rpms at WOT. The pipes are going to be very loud.
Aaahhh I see what you mean. I was thinking on the free flowing perspective. :doh:Thanks for the correction! :smiley_th

I"ll be looking into the Vance and Hines stuff. As long as they aren't ground shakingly loud.. haha

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wouldn't pulling the mufflers off the stock pipes give you an idea if it would be to loud? I suppose the belly might make it a little more quiet than straight pipes though.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
okay...Ive read a number of "workable" options on this subject here at the forum. Again, all depends on the sound and performance you want, and if ya wanna mess with jetting or not. Results will also vary depending on intake (stock vs pods). I was able to change the sound (albeit quieter) with pods, no belly, and full Sport muffs.

1) Leave goats belly and debaffle stocks
2) Remove goats belly and use baffled stock muffs
3) Remove belly AND baffles from stock muffs
(debaffled stock muffs actually ARE straightpipes, body kept more for JoeLaw methinks)
4)Leave belly and add debaffled Sportster muffs
5)remove belly and add baffled stock sportster muffs (what I have)
6)buy aftermarket made for the VN
7) run straightpipes with aftermarket baffles

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
okay...Ive read a number of "workable" options on this subject here at the forum. Again, all depends on the sound and performance you want, and if ya wanna mess with jetting or not. Results will also vary depending on intake (stock vs pods). I was able to change the sound (albeit quieter) with pods, no belly, and full Sport muffs.

1) Leave goats belly and debaffle stocks
2) Remove goats belly and use baffled stock muffs
3) Remove belly AND baffles from stock muffs
(debaffled stock muffs actually ARE straightpipes, body kept more for JoeLaw methinks)
4)Leave belly and add debaffled Sportster muffs
5)remove belly and add baffled stock sportster muffs (what I have)
6)buy aftermarket made for the VN
7) run straightpipes with aftermarket baffles
OR...for sound only, you can leave it all stock and drill the stock baffles. if you want it louder, you can even remove the inner screen of the stock mufflers (not quite a total debaffle since the outlet is still restricted).

I just drilled 4 holes on the back plate to get some rumble and the back pressure from the Goats belly and inner screens on the stock mufflers seem to give it all the back pressure it needs. Runs and sounds (to me) great!

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Option 9: Spend way too much time and money cutting and welding your own set .....

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Only $$$ thing about opt 9 is needing a welder and bender. Otherwise would always be my choice. Pipe is cheap. Time spent is love. 25 yrs ago, I made all my own systems at a buddy's shop (no, ya dont need to be an engineer, just gotta know the rules and basics). Sadly, he passed and his ol lady sold all at auction.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
I pie cut most of my bends with a chop saw and scavenged an old set of headers for the others ..... still spent too much time and money making mistakes.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I still enjoyed makin my own (started building bikes/fabricating in the 70s, miss it), and also, then when asked, I could always say that they were "Wolfie Customs"..... ;)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I noticed a couple of small screws at the rear of my exhaust tips, but did not mess with them until tonight. When I pulled the screws, I was able to remove the rear "baffles" from the exhaust pipe. The units are about 6.75" long and appear to have been cut. Is this the result of "debaffling" and these tips are in to help muffle the sound? OR is "debaffling" the act of completely removing this part as well? Sure liked the rumble without them, but don't want to remove if reducing back pressure, etc. and lessening performance.

Also, the "goat's belly" is still in place.

I took a picture, but this asks me for the "URL" of insertable item.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
When I got mine, they were completely debaffled, but the PO was also in the middle of an earshave to add pods. If you still have stock air intake, and wanna keep it, then I suggest leaving the baffles or just replacing with Sportster muffs. The debaffled stocks were a lil too loud for my liking...thats why I put on baffled Sportsters.
It wont hurt the engine if you run w/o the baffles, but performance will probably suffer (with stock intake).

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
If you go to a bike custom supply (like V-Twin Mfg), you can get "fabricator kits"...different kits at different prices...I was gonna make mine a 2 into 1 with a collector, then to a slip on single fishtail...at the time, cost was prohibitive...I still might one day...

Lotta guys worry about balancing after a de-goat...Ive been looking into fabricating a custom left header pipe, that would swing forwards first, and then back (slightly larger diameter too)...that would balance the backpressure and still allow a 2 sided exhaust...if it worked, Id patent it, then have it mass produced by a manufacturer...

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
so if I say am earshaved, with k&n pods, and I debaffle my 2sided cobras then what kind of performance change would I expect?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts