Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Vulcan 750. The stator went out on it. Without going through a long story, I removed the engine and replaced it. I also replaced the voltage regulator. I fired the bike up and went on a short 15 mile trip. When I got back, I noticed trace amounts of smoke coming from the stator wires and a little bit of burned insulation. My first thought was that it was up against something hot. After further evaluation, I realized that the heat was coming from the wires. All parts that I used were brand new. Ive retraced my steps a 100 times and I cant find anything wrong, Does anyone know whats going on? PLEASE HELP!!!

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I have a Vulcan 750. The stator went out on it. Without going through a long story, I removed the engine and replaced it. I also replaced the voltage regulator. I fired the bike up and went on a short 15 mile trip. When I got back, I noticed trace amounts of smoke coming from the stator wires and a little bit of burned insulation. My first thought was that it was up against something hot. After further evaluation, I realized that the heat was coming from the wires. All parts that I used were brand new. Ive retraced my steps a 100 times and I cant find anything wrong, Does anyone know whats going on? PLEASE HELP!!!
What kind of battery do you have and how old is it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery is a super start. I bought it brand new a month ago. I killed it a couple of times before realizing the stator was bad. Its currently not charged. My plan was to jump the bike off, ride it for a while and let the stator charge it.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
The battery is a super start. I bought it brand new a month ago. I killed it a couple of times before realizing the stator was bad. Its currently not charged. My plan was to jump the bike off, ride it for a while and let the stator charge it.
You must charge the battery before you start the bike, a low or bad battery can fry the stator. Is it a flooded lead acid or an agm mf battery?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
You must charge the battery before you start the bike, a low or bad battery can fry the stator.
And for the best charge, use low amps....around 1.5 or 2.
Lower amperage for a longer time gives a much better charge than higher amps for a short time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its lead. It looks like acid has been dripping on the regulator, I fixed that. Doesnt look like any major damage was done. But the battery was completley dead when I installed it. I jumped it off with a car. I got it slow-charging right now, I hope it didnt cause any damage to the stator. I figured the concept was the same as a car, the alternator will charge the battery, I guess I was wrong.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Its lead. It looks like acid has been dripping on the regulator, I fixed that. Doesnt look like any major damage was done. But the battery was completley dead when I installed it. I jumped it off with a car. I got it slow-charging right now, I hope it didnt cause any damage to the stator. I figured the concept was the same as a car, the alternator will charge the battery, I guess I was wrong.
With an alternator it is not a problem, with a stator it is. :doh:

Get a good MF AGM BATTERY and save yourself problems in the future.

Battery

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deka-ETX15L-Powersports-AGM-Battery-100-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem3eee173adbQQitemZ270282472155QQptZOtherQ5fVehicleQ5fParts

Once you get the bike running, test the battery voltage @ 4000 rpm to make sure you are charging.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Get a good MF AGM BATTERY and save yourself problems in the future.
QUOTE]

Yes Do........It's been between 103 - 112 deg here for the last 2 weeks.

I went out the other day to take the bike on a short trip after it's been sitting for a week and a half.
It started as soon as I hit the Button.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts