Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 99 750 with only 11K miles on it. Just started going thro it and based on my multimeter readings the stator & r/r are both bad. I got stator cont readings at ground & individual wires. That indicates a short. Strange thing is that this is the 2nd stator in the bike. There are 2 sets of wires coming from the engine. :confused:

I proceded to the r/r and performed the tests in the factory manual. I had 2 legs fail on several of the tests. The r/r appeared to be the original one.

How common is it for both of these to fail?

I have a new AGM gel battery ordered, but I need to fix the r/r & the stator also. I have read the stator replacement w/o engine removal.

Where/what replacement parts do you guys use for the r/r & the stator? I am familiar with Ricks & a couple of other aftermarket suppliers. Are there any other bikes we can use the stator from? I have done the cross reference & found some bikes that use the same r/r.

Thanks for the help. Dean

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The Tim Parrott Enterprises rebuilt stator is what you want:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/motorcycle-stators-rebuild-service_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem29ff9dc1a1QQitemZ180382187937QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Rick`s reputation for electronics parts is going down due to so much Chinese junk coming in now.

If I were replacing my reg/rec, it would be with a Shindegen/mosfet style as outlined in these threads.
There are several other links in these threads with more info.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18195&highlight=shindegen+mosfet
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18361

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have a 2005 and my stator failed around 19k miles. There should be continuity between the stator wires, I would say 1-3 ohms. However if the wires are shorted to ground thats a bad thing. I decided to replace my R/R just on the chance it could of contributed to the stator failing. Some of the wires on my stator were burned in half. Something had to cause that and the R/R is what it plugs into. I followed the advice of members on here and went with Tim Parrot for my stator ($85.00), Also went with The Mosfet. And thanks Olhoss for the Mosfet refererance. I pulled my engine though did not choose the sidecover modification. I havent read alot about the do it yourself mod but I think the tolerances are to close for me to use a dremil tool on it. The two sets of wires coming out of the left side cover are for stator (3 yellow wires)and the pick-up coils, one for each cylinder. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
it is very common for both the R/R and stator to go.. in fact it is recommended to replace the r/r after stator failure. and it is common for the aftermarket stators to fail faster than an oem stator. as Oll Hoss suggested, get the TPE stator and shindegen R/R... might even ask tim to wind your stator for a little bit more amps.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
as Oll Hoss suggested, get the TPE stator and shindegen R/R... might even ask tim to wind your stator for a little bit more amps.
As HOSS and Slim said PTE is the way to go. Just got mine back from him 2 weeks ago and it is definitely a top notch job. Wand totally full of wire. I learned the hard way and bought the Ricks and it lasted 400 miles before it melted the wiring due to small, poorly insulated wire. Here is a picture of it. Never mind the dust on it. That's from the stator cover mod job.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Tim advertises on ebay and his TIM PARROTT ENTERPRISES.com site. His personal site is $4 cheap than the ebay store.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts