Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have an 01 Vulcan 750, its been a great bike, had it now for almost 2 yrs. Last year, my white 'headlamp' light was on, and i know that indicates normally i need a new light, maybe a burnt filament or whatever. So i bought a new bulb, stuck it in, and it did nothing, same thing. The problems is, well i am about 90% certain, that its in the low/Hi rocker switch.
If i keep the rocker switch kinda in the middle, the white "headlamp" indicator goes off.
Our ABATE club put on a big bike show 2 weeks ago, and the local Kawasaki Dealer was there, and i asked him what the thought about it, and he said something about the leads/contact int he switch are bad, and told me to bring it in.
Is this going to be a costly repair? Is it something i can fix myself?
Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Yes, yes and yes. Remove the switch, carefully disassemble it, inspect and clean the contacts with contact cleaner, apply a light coat of dielectric grease to prevent future corrosion and reassemble. Good idea to clean and grease ALL the connections on the bike.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I had something similar happen to me last month. It is relatively easy to take apart. Just be very careful not to lose the spring and ball bearing.
Mine wasn't a dirty contact problem. I ended up replacing the switch with one I got from the junkyard. Easy 10 minute soldering job.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This problem started for me LAST Year, and when i took it apart last year, it looked clean and fine. But when i get the chance again, i will take it apart and clean it and use some dielectric grease.
But like lancer19 says, his wasn't a dirty contact problem, he ended up replacing the switch, and i gotta tell you, the little bit of wires there, i don't see how he soldered it, lol.
I don't think i will have the same luck to find one in a junkyard, and even if i did, its probably in worse shape than mine.

Any other ideas, comments, suggestions?
Thanks.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
To solder it... you just place a little drop of solder on the contacts, then take a nail file (not an emery board) and file it back down until it is almost as smooth as the contacts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts