Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone know anything about these backrest websites:

Utopia backrests and Pro-Tac backrests (I can't post any URL's until I've been here longer, sorry)

I'm a firm believe in "if it seems to good to be true, it probably is." Just wanted to know if anyone has seen or heard of them.

Thanks,

C.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Pro-tac are pretty popular, never heard of the other. but alot of members have pro-tac and love them.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Pro-tac bracket bolts onto your top shock bolts and is an easy on, easy off backrest. Most popular with the VN750.
The Utopias that I have come across insert throuh your seat which means seat modification.
For the money and ease, I'd go with Pro-tac

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I had the Protac on my (now my son's) 750 and it is worth every penny! combine that with a set of floorboards and you really raise the comfort level of the 750. Call and order directly from Protac. They will want your measurements so they can make your backrest at the perfect height for your body. Plus you usually save a little $$ ordering from them.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I bought a used seat off a guy that had the Utopia backrest. He said it was VERY comfortable.
But, like Dianna said, you do have to put a hole completely through the seat to mount it.
I only wish he would've left it on the seat, but he put in onto his other bike.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I have the pro-tac and love it. The only problem with it was that it sat me too far forward on the bike, I felt like I was eating the bars. The guy I bought it from machined parts that set it back about an inch and a half and included them with the sale. Once I figured how the genius made these work it was perfect. With the high way pegs on the engine guard and the back rest on I felt like I was in a recliner - very comfortable...

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I looked very hard at both of those backrests and went with the pro-tac. No regrets - I love my pro-tac backrest. It does cause me to sit about an inch closer to the bars, as LibertyPilot mentioned. If I was taller than 5' 9" that may have been a problem.

Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I especially was happy to hear that it caused a few people to sit closer to the handlebars. I have mine rolled back as far as they go but it still wasn't enough. Definitely going to order a Protac seat as soon as I get back to the states :D

C.

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
I had the Protac on my (now my son's) 750 and it is worth every penny! combine that with a set of floorboards and you really raise the comfort level of the 750. Call and order directly from Protac. They will want your measurements so they can make your backrest at the perfect height for your body. Plus you usually save a little $$ ordering from them.
Fergy,
Is the Pro-Tac tall enough and secure enough to tie luggage to? Would it easily pop out of its brackets and dump your gear? How about if you drilled it and put in a set-screw or clevis pin?

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
^ Sorry to jump in here but I can help. The only thing that held mine on when I was riding without the machined parts (just the brackets that come with it and the backrest)was my back. Its not secure enough to tie anything to and it will dump your gear. You would definitely need to put some set screws in there or do something else to secure it. The machine parts that I got had 3 set screws in each peice and really locked it down nice and tight...

·
Registered
148 Posts
I made a cable to attach the Pro-tac to the helmet lock.
I used vinyl coated cable that I also use to lock my helmet on the backrest.
I'd heard where the Protacs are stolen and resold with replacement brackets.
Such the world we live in.

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
I have the pro-tac and love it. The only problem with it was that it sat me too far forward on the bike, I felt like I was eating the bars. The guy I bought it from machined parts that set it back about an inch and a half and included them with the sale. Once I figured how the genius made these work it was perfect. With the high way pegs on the engine guard and the back rest on I felt like I was in a recliner - very comfortable...
So, you're saying that the machined bracket that moves the Pro Tac rearward also secures it to the bike with set screws,and that this bracket was made by a previous owner who was not the manufacturer or other business? I have learned the hard way that custom metalwork is expensive to have done commercially.
Can we see pics of the brackets? This sounds good.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
So, you're saying that the machined bracket that moves the Pro Tac rearward also secures it to the bike with set screws,and that this bracket was made by a previous owner who was not the manufacturer or other business? I have learned the hard way that custom metalwork is expensive to have done commercially.
Can we see pics of the brackets? This sounds good.
That's exactly what I'm saying actually. :smiley_th I'd be happy to take some pics of the machined peices for you guys. The guy actually found me here (he's not really a frequent poster). He noticed I was looking for a protac and he was looking to get rid of his. He's a Harvard professor and works in the machine shop there. These brackets are genius, I really lucked out. A protac for 70 beans is pretty good without the brackets he made that move it up and back and inch AND secures it nicely to the bike. I'll try to take pics tonight...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts