Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been thinking about a protac for about as long as I've had the bike. I have been using a duffel bag with my clothing stuffed inside, tied on my passenger seat, for a backrest on long trips. My wife picked up this cooler:

at walmart and it worked out fantastic for my trip a couple weekends ago. I stuffed the zippered pocket with 2" foam rubber and faced it toward me. The cooler has a plastic shell insert to help keep it's shape and is big enough to hold 3 quart bottles of water and two blue ice bricks. Kept my water cold all day in 90 degree temps and my back relaxed. I pulled out at 7 am that morning and my water that I hadn't drank was still cold at 10 pm.
I sat it on the passenger seat and stretched a bungee across it and hooked each end on the luggage rack. It rode perfect there and although you have to mount/dismount a little less graceful, it was well worth it!

I edited this post to show the actual pic.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Looks like a good bag. I'm on my way to check it out up close and personal.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Sounds like a good Idea. Back rest and storage!!!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the real thing. It's an Arctic Zone brand.

You can see I stuffed the front pocket with the foam rubber. I just tuck the strap under the cooler so it stays out of the way before I bungee it down.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a good Idea. Back rest and storage!!!
I think so! Heck, when you're loaded down for a road trip, it ain't how you look, it's how you feel that matters and believe me, the backrest is nice. Plus, cold drinks. Can't beat that!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
And how appropriate that it's called the 'BackSaver' :smiley_th

I know the Walmart here has alot of Artic Zone stuff. I had a smaller one I used for storage on my dualsport. But it was mounted on the rear fender.
Great suggestion, Fergy!!

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
to prevent someone from quickly undoing the bungee and running off with it, you might be able to run the strap under the seat. It would almost be permanent (unless someone cut off the straps)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Or he could spit in each bottle of water, so when they stole his H2O and were enjoying it, he'd have the last laugh... :motorcycl

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not at my local walmart or at walmart.com

Anyone know where I could find one online or another retailer?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I picked up the cooler and 2 18" bungees for about 21 bucks. Stuffed the front pouch with a towel. I love it!! And now i have a place to put my lunch. Thanks for the GREAT/economical idea.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I got the exact same colored cooler. Now I'll have to keep an eye for some cooler saddlebags and trunk :doh: LMAO j/k

·
Registered
699 Posts
another idea for the strap would be to wrap it around each turn signal (as long as it is long enough) thats what I used to do with the tote I would use

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't pay attention before, but my strap has an adjuster in it to make the strap shorter. I think I can make mine short enough to just slip around the bottom of the bag when I use it on the bike.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Looks like one of those might be coming to Ky Lake with me...

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I was digging through the archives this morning and seen this and had one of these coolers laying around. so I threw it on my bike and set out for a 120 mile road trip/cruise. man what a difference did it make. threw a couple ice packs and pepsi inside. it will definately go back on every time I have a longer trip.

·
Louder IS better!
289 Posts
went and bought one of those coolers today, cost me like 13 bucks, havent tried it yet, gonna take a ride in the mornin and see how it works

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I stuffed the front with a bath towel and a big beach towel inside it to give it some support.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts