Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone-

I've searched around for an answer and have no come up with anything yet on here. Should my speedo, tach, fuel gauge and temp gauge be backlit? I'm currently rebuilding the bike and wasn't sure what the proper behavior of the cluster is.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
tach, spedo, and fuel should be backlit. I think the temp gauge is lit by the same bulb as the spedometer.
The cluster lights' v+ wire coming out of the junction box is shared with the front signals, if you're in the middle of troubleshooting.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, got it. Now, my front signals, high beam and low beam work just as they should. Could there be a short in the harness somewhere, leading to no lighting?

Thanks, Thorn. I'm a newbie to bikes in general.

tach, spedo, and fuel should be backlit. I think the temp gauge is lit by the same bulb as the spedometer.
The cluster lights' v+ wire coming out of the junction box is shared with the front signals, if you're in the middle of troubleshooting.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Seems likely that you've got a break in a wire somewhere, most likely in the wiring harness where it transfers from the body of the motorcycle to the handlebars, where it flexes a lot. Another common failure point is where a wire goes into a molex connector, but since ALL of your dash lights are out, and they use different connectors, the more likely culprit is a wire in the harness, which is not a particularly easy fix.

If you look in my signature, there's a link to a wiring diagram. I don't think it's accurate with regards to where or how many physical splices are in the physical harness, but it'll give you a good overview of what's electrically connected to what.

It's possible but unlikely that all the bulbs have burned out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I believe the gauge cluster used to light up, so I'm thinking a break in a wire is more likely too. I'll check out the diagram.

Seems likely that you've got a break in a wire somewhere, most likely in the wiring harness where it transfers from the body of the motorcycle to the handlebars, where it flexes a lot. Another common failure point is where a wire goes into a molex connector, but since ALL of your dash lights are out, and they use different connectors, the more likely culprit is a wire in the harness, which is not a particularly easy fix.

If you look in my signature, there's a link to a wiring diagram. I don't think it's accurate with regards to where or how many physical splices are in the physical harness, but it'll give you a good overview of what's electrically connected to what.

It's possible but unlikely that all the bulbs have burned out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts