Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
REDRIDER
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, as I was going up a hill and giving it more throttle, the bike started to back fire (not continuously) and I started to loose some power. I made it to the traffic light. As I was turning, the engine shut off. I pop the clutch and it started back up. Made it home safely. I checked plugs, wires and and i was stumped. Started the bike up again and put it into first gear and then I lost power again. Nothing. Check the battery cables and discovered that one of the cables was loose. Tighten it up and I got power. My questions, would a loose battery cable cause the engine to back fire and loose power? I can understand when the engine stopped. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The other day, as I was going up a hill and giving it more throttle, the bike started to back fire (not continuously) and I started to loose some power. I made it to the traffic light. As I was turning, the engine shut off. I pop the clutch and it started back up. Made it home safely. I checked plugs, wires and and i was stumped. Started the bike up again and put it into first gear and then I lost power again. Nothing. Check the battery cables and discovered that one of the cables was loose. Tighten it up and I got power. My questions, would a loose battery cable cause the engine to back fire and loose power? I can understand when the engine stopped. Thanks for any feedback.
Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Only mine quit running on the interstate. I tightened the battery cables and it hasn't done it again. I'm feeling pretty confident it was just loose connections.

By the way, I see you are from Pearcy. I was in Pearcy last week checking out a V-Max a guy had for sale there.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Funny, we got in the car this a.m .to go to work, I turned the engine over, saw a spark, and that was that. No lights, no engine, no cranking. My better half said (appropriately), "what;d you do to the car this weekend?" Borrowed the battery to work on Orleans, but recalled that the neg battery terminal seemed a little loose. THose bad connections wreck havoc - and wires are usually the first place to look when troubleshooting. Glad you got it fixed!

·
REDRIDER
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I live behind Lake Hamilton School and ride the bike (weather permitting) to Benton every day.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes, I live behind Lake Hamilton School and ride the bike (weather permitting) to Benton every day.
Nice ride, I ride mine to work everyday also (just north of Conway to Maumelle). Although it is getting a bit "airish" at night now. I'll keep riding till it starts to freeze though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My uncle-in-law is the Basketball coach at Lake Hamilton. I just got my bike and can't wait to get to Hot Springs to do some riding.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had the same thing happen back in the 80's. Bike just stopped suddenly on the freeway. I learned a good lesson when it happened to me. Had taken the bike months earlier to the bike shop for something and when they reinstalled the document box the mechanic over tightened the bolts and I could not remove the bolts without a big socket wrench. Now days I always check the document box bolts after leaving the shop that I can remove them with just my little hand socket tool I carry inside the box.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I always use a couple drops of blue locktite when tightening battery cables. I learned this lesson from my Ninja 500 a few years ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts