Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive written the proceedure one too many times in threads, so here it is as a sticky.

Often particles get into a carb which SeaFoam and such wont dissolve. Many passages are somewhat "venturied" (just made that up) meaning the stuff gets in, but wont pass...like a bad gallstone.
Theory is : send it out the way it came in. Pure logic.

A quick and easy proceedure that often solves the problem :

1) remove the intake device on a specific carb (be it a stock snorkel or a pod).

2) place a piece of tubing over the drain nipple on the carb and loosen the screw. Drain carb.

3) place and hold a 1 foot or more piece of tubing onto the drain nipple. Blow thru it untill you see it "spitting" from the intake.

4) close the drain, refill carb, and repeat.

This works 7 times outta 10....easy peasey...back on the road.

Added note to my original proceedure...if its really bad, blow it out once plain, then open up the throttle and do it again....

·
aka Smokymtnvulcan
41 Posts
What's an intake device? (I know, I'm stupid)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'd guess an air cleaner since he mentioned a pod... ;)

·
aka Smokymtnvulcan
41 Posts
Are there two drain nipples on the Vulcan, one for each side? The fuel pours from someplace up kinda high on the right side. I'm having a hard time finding exactly where it comes from cause it only does it when the motor is running on one cylinder or cranking. I'm reluctant to crank it much with the fuel flying splashing! I know where the drain nipple is on the left side, is that the only one?

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Are there two drain nipples on the Vulcan, one for each side? The fuel pours from someplace up kinda high on the right side. I'm having a hard time finding exactly where it comes from cause it only does it when the motor is running on one cylinder or cranking. I'm reluctant to crank it much with the fuel flying splashing! I know where the drain nipple is on the left side, is that the only one?
And guess what, you get to finger them both! :p

I'll have to do this when I get my 750 back tomorrow. In fact, both carbs need a tear down and rebuild.

·
aka Smokymtnvulcan
41 Posts
Thanks guys, let the fingering begin!

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I did all the easy fixes first. Checked and cleaned petcock ( had bug remains in it.) Removed and blow out fuel lines and filters. Checked the carb vent hose. Checked the vaccuum hose. And lastly removed and cleaned carbs. Main problem was that the carbs were stopped up. 9k in 3rd marking 90 mph on speedo.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
I finally did this the other weekend and the rear jug seems to cold-idle better than before. Still need to back flow some seafoam and let it sit; but overall easy process once I found a hose to fit the nipple.

·
aka Smokymtnvulcan
41 Posts
I still can't find the damn right side drain nipple! The pic Wolfe was nice enough to put on doesn't look like my right side! Bike is driving me nuts!

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
I still can't find the damn right side drain nipple! The pic Wolfe was nice enough to put on doesn't look like my right side! Bike is driving me nuts!
Should be right across from where the front one is. Examine the front carb, take mental note of stuff near the nipple and find the same thing on the other side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
something worked

I was able to do the blow back thing only on one carb, the other carb's drain screw wouldn't come out. I also ran the seafoam through the gas and after sputtering a few seconds the power was back. I took it up and down the street and it ran like it use to run. I was in a hurry to get this fixed 'cause vacation was coming up, I took it to the coast and then to the hills, so glad it's running again. And it's thanks to you guys, this made my vacation. This forum ROCKS.

·
aka Smokymtnvulcan
41 Posts
DUMB Q:
Does the float bowl on the left side of the bike (as you sit on it) feed the front jug? I'm too mechanically challenged to be able to tell by looking at it!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The pic Wolfe was nice enough to put on doesn't look like my right side!
Thats because its not exactly the same CVK (but almost identical)...still the same location....the right side drain (on the VN7xx) is slightly more angled than in this pic...but still the same place...

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I wanna try this but I wish there was a video or something because I have no idea how to follow directions
what, no video ?
...get your camera out Wolfie....:worthless LOL

(Just kidding...I understand the issue)

:smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its too eassily done to require a video.....I aint doin it...I mean, cmon....drain the specific carb...remove the air intake....same place the gas pisses out when ya drain, you attach a hose, and blow thru it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts