Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone thought about doing the back of the dragon this summer. if so hit me up. i live about 25 miles from there. would love to meet some of the members.

Sent from [urlamy=http://www.motorcycle.com/mobile]Motorcycle.com App[/url]

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
what/where is the "back of the Dragaon"?

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
holy Kaw! the back of the Dragon is 335 miles and 8 1/2 hrs LONG! that's one big dragon! lol

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good use for the mustang seat lol. the part i live near isn't that long.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've heard about it here in Wisconsin, some riders have made the trip down just to try it out.

Also heard it's considerably dangerous at speeds(no duh) but some bikers try to take it fast and there are plenty of road side crosses for those people. Any merit to the myth?

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I've heard about it here in Wisconsin, some riders have made the trip down just to try it out.

Also heard it's considerably dangerous at speeds(no duh) but some bikers try to take it fast and there are plenty of road side crosses for those people. Any merit to the myth?
or are you thinking of the tail of the dragon? 318 curves in 11 miles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deals_Gap,_North_Carolina

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
If Back of the Dragon is anything like Tail of the Dragon I'll pass. 11 miles of Tail of the Dragon is enough, I don't think I'd want to ride 300 miles of curves like that. I plan to ride the Tail again this spring but 300+ miles of GA and NC hills round trip for me is about my limit. Moonshiner 28 is a pretty good ride too but usually I pick a direction rather than a destination. Tons of good roads around me and after a few hours of just riding I can turn on the gps if I'm unsure of how to get started back and roll on back to the barn.

Turning down unknown and new roads makes my lady friend nervous but there are just too many good roads to explore.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
I ride the northern half of 16, sort of my old stomping grounds. That's the road Car and Driver rated among their top picks.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ride the northern half of 16, sort of my old stomping grounds. That's the road Car and Driver rated among their top picks.
what part of wv are you from? i live in Princeton right near the Virginia line.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Yeah, they had to go easy on those Vette drivers.

I'm up near P-burg don, near the Ohio line.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, they had to go easy on those Vette drivers.

I'm up near P-burg don, near the Ohio line.
your only about 3 hours away. im about 1 1/2 hours from charelston. thats probably half way. we may half to meet up in charelston when the bikers go protest this year.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ah, that would be it. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
we may half to meet up in charelston when the bikers go protest this year.
Wait ... What are we protesting?

Chucktown is only an hour for me. I can be at the north end of 16 in St.Marys in under 20 minutes. .. where the tractor-trailers smash through the Dairy Queen after losing the brakes on 16 hill outside of town.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
well looks like September 11 to the 19th ill have some vacation time so im planning on riding both the back and the tail of the dragon. looking at state parks for camping and some other places to hit on the was home.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Hey, I just realized, I've rode some of that when I had my 06 VN750, so it would have probably been 07-08... Anyway I went down (head in rear & coal dust on road) in a mean right hander North of Welch going South toward Welch... Hardly any damage and continued on... We rode out of Tullahoma Tn. up into E. Tn. & E. Ky. & W. WVa., some very good roads in that area, we rode about 4-5 days RT as I remember (CRS), a darn good ride...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
We ought to get a "tag-team" type ride. Riders from up north head south, get down into NC or GA. Southern riders meet up and join them riding north before heading back, Everybody gets a good 2-4 day ride and a day or two to visit as we travel.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts