Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I ordered 140 pilots and 142 mains and installed them after my ear shave. The V idles beautifully but is so sluggish when you go down the street it can't get out of it's own way. Now, the new jets have a very short head (like a nail) where the originals have a long head (like a shoulder screw) but the jet side is the same. I'm hoping the pic will upload. I believe it is the short length jet "starving" the engine at low speed operation because it isn't in the fuel deep enough. I emailed the company before I installed the jets and told them I didn't think they were the right fit, but of course they said they're fine as long as the threads are the same and that that year bike
(2000) had a production change which I believe to be bs, unless at some point Kaw went with different carbs which is possible. They sent me 2 sets of mains and only one set of pilots... the wrong set imo, and isn't that just the way it goes. I'm just looking for some confirmation on what I think the problem is. Thanks very much for your insight.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
do you mean you ordered a 40 pilot or a 140?

that is likely the problem. Did you check here for part numbers on the jets?

My new pilot jet (42) looked just like my old one (the long one), my main jet was short and stubby but it sat inside of an adaptor of sorts.

Hope this helps

·
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks so much for the info. Yes I meant 40 for the pilot's. Bad day and I'm a bit upset at having to take it all apart again. I knew it, should have kept the originals in for now. I'll check those part #s too. The kit I ordered was a pro 3 stage kit on ebay. Thought I saw that people on here used them. Have a great night KidChaos!

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
It is not just real easy, but you can do the jets without removing the carb.
BTW some shims are also recomended on the needles when shaving the ears.
Those can also be done without removing the carbs. Be sure to put the same needle back into the same carb. Good luck.
Which air filters did you use.

·
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hey niterider. Yes I put the shims on the needles. 2 on each. Yeah I don't think I'll be opening the jet chambers while they're in place but I'll probably just pop the carbs off of the manifolds to make some working room rather than pulling the set all the way off. I fabricated a single air cleaner using a spectrum hi flow filter. I'll try and attach pic to this reply. I was looking at the position of the jet chambers and they are at dead bottom of the carb so my hunch that the pilots are sucking air as soon as the fuel level drops a little bit seems to be what's happening. A golf cart should never go faster than a VN so I gotta make this right pronto. Anyone ever drill out the original jets on these bikes? I'm tempted cause I'm not hearing back from the seller of the kit :-/
Thanks for the reply also.
BTW, these suckers are kinda loud when they're shaved, ha ha. Reminds me of flipping the air cleaner cover on my chev 350 to hear the four barrrels scarfin' air.
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
The Kid is right...something isn't right here. If the photo shows old/new pilots, you have the wrong pilots...they should look identical in size

·
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for confirming

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Could he have sold you jets for a different brand of carb?

·
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
jets for a different brand of carb?

That's what I wondered also since he mentioned a production change. I don't get that, and it hasn't been mentioned here at all but anyway, I'm going to put the originals back in tonight. Still think I should match the orifice on the 40's with a drill bit and drill the originals larger cause she will be lean and poppin' with the original jets and my new air cleaner. I deep sixed the surge tank so this was a one way ticket to the shaved state. Still going to get the proper new jets so it's a temporary thing but Please stop me if any of you have had nightmares drilling them lol.
Incidentally, I think they gave me pilot jets that sit in the traditional configuration abutted to the float needle valves in a typlical carb... and our bikes aren't set up that way. You guys are all great people on here. Must be cause we all have good taste ;-) Have a great day everyone.

·
Member? ... check.
534 Posts
Definately not the expert, but you could probably run the original jets as long as you want with the right length duct tape around the new filter. Just to get a little more venturi action on the jets.

·
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's true. Not a good idea to drill them then? :-\

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree with the pilot being wrong but another thing I wanted to ask, when you say sluggish is it low end top end or midrange? The pilots I believe operate for idle up untill about 2500 rpm. If she idles well I would think maybe the issue is elsewhere. But I guess that'll show up with the new (correct) pilots. Hope it all works out for you.

·
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi stones. It's. At low speed that it dogs. Good point about the idling except that at idle, the little jet chambers will probably be full so the jet will be in the fuel but then when you give a little throttle that fuel level will drop very quickly since its not much more than a few capfuls of fuel in there.... can't wait to get home. This whole job thing gets in the way.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yeah then its just the pilots, I've heard you can just pop the floats off and use a flat head screwdriver bit and a 1/4 in wrench to get the pilots out without removing the carbs. Im about to attempt this again as I never upped my pilots when I did my shave. I actually work in the moto industry and its real hard somedays to ignore my bike and focus on all the others lol hopefully time passes quickly. Happy tinkering!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Don't do the work twice!!

Here's what you need:
Parts: (see Figure 2)
1 Mikuni Needle Shims Item# 009-396 $6.95
2 Keihin PN: 99101-393 Main Jet Size: 142 $13.90
2 Keihin PN: N424-22 Pilot/Slow Jet Size: 42 $13.90
Total $34.75
Order from here You'll have them this weekend. If you prefer 140/40..order them.
Just scroll down 'til you find your part number....pick size. Done.
Call the guy...real easy to talk to. Knows his carbs :smiley_th

·
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey thanks guys. And I'll call them right now voipdoc. I sent an email to the compan I bought the kit from asking them to credit me1/3 back since I was able to use the mains. I think that's reasonable so I hope they honor it. Stones, what kind of performance are you getting with the original pilots with the air shave? Did you crank out your mixture to compensate?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I would drill them if the drill bit fits good into the jet hole. Just clean the shavings off good. That is all the other jet is, the same jet with a bigger hole.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well she runs like a bat outta hell now lol but theres still a little popping, I have straight pipes and my screws were out pretty far already I think Im at about 3 1/2 on the front and almost 4 on the rear. My needles are a bit high so the mid range is a bit soft once shes heated up. The low end is a little lacking but I had to take a break from carb work after pulling them twice and several different adjustments. Hopefully I get it all squared away this weekend.

·
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very cool Stones. Love the seat and apes you got on it too. Good News. I drilled the originals and threw them back in and mine too goes like a bat outa' hell. Funny tho, now it barely idles because it's too rich. I knew that would happen because... yup, one jet was clogged solid in the shaft. That little tiny microscopic hole, not the side ones, but I didn't have a bit small enough and the wire I was using wasn't cutting it. So, since I'm getting the correct jets from the guy Voipdoc suggested, I went for it and drilled the shafts too ha ha! Oh yeah, baby gets gas now man! Chug chug chug at idle then when you give her a lil' juice she about throws you off the seat. Which brings to mind, what kind of seat you running on that Stones? I'm thinking about changing mine. Saw the mean streak on one and that looked cool. Well, I'm in a better mood now but I'll be glad when those jets come and I can button her up nice and tune/sync the carbs. Thanks for all the replies guys. Really very helpful for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Very cool Stones. Love the seat and apes you got on it too. Good News. I drilled the originals and threw them back in and mine too goes like a bat outa' hell. Funny tho, now it barely idles because it's too rich. I knew that would happen because... yup, one jet was clogged solid in the shaft. That little tiny microscopic hole, not the side ones, but I didn't have a bit small enough and the wire I was using wasn't cutting it. So, since I'm getting the correct jets from the guy Voipdoc suggested, I went for it and drilled the shafts too ha ha! Oh yeah, baby gets gas now man! Chug chug chug at idle then when you give her a lil' juice she about throws you off the seat. Which brings to mind, what kind of seat you running on that Stones? I'm thinking about changing mine. Saw the mean streak on one and that looked cool. Well, I'm in a better mood now but I'll be glad when those jets come and I can button her up nice and tune/sync the carbs. Thanks for all the replies guys. Really very helpful for sure.
If you like the way it runs now read this thread
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19133:smiley_th

a little more throttle response would set it all off ,enjoy:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts