Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered the square bar to start fabricating a sissy bar to go on my sportster for camping. Came across this tent. Gotta love it.

·
Bobber Junkie
74 Posts
Oh holy crap, that thing is awesome! I've just started to get back into tent camping. I NEED one of these!

·
Bobber Junkie
74 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Did you notice his custom(homemade) Luggage rack? Looks like he made it for carrying his camping stuff. I like the little Martin Backpacker guitar he is hauling around with him. :)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Much as I love my bike, I cant see needin to sleep with it....hell, thats room fer 2 more wimmins....lol....

I used to use my bike for a lean to....just a cheap tarp, the bike as an anchor, tarp was long enough for a floor too....

But honestly, if I had the bucks, Id own one (me, a redhead and a blonde....mebbe 2 redheads and a blonde)...and I think his custom sissy is for mounting a frame backpack maybe ?....

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Much as I love my bike, I cant see needin to sleep with it....hell, thats room fer 2 more wimmins....lol....

I used to use my bike for a lean to....just a cheap tarp, the bike as an anchor, tarp was long enough for a floor too....

But honestly, if I had the bucks, Id own one (me, a redhead and a blonde....mebbe 2 redheads and a blonde)...and I think his custom sissy is for mounting a frame backpack maybe ?....
They stopped making frame backpacks about 25 years ago yo :p

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
I am not really sure why having a tent connected to your bike is such a great idea. If you are trying to go on a long distance run from point A to point B with a few stops just to sleep it may not be a problem. If you intended to stay at one place more than an overnight then packing everything up just to have access to the bike seems like some extra work for nothing. I am sure I could find something other than a sissy bar to use for a tent upright or some of the new shock corded poles pack down into very short lengths and take little room while adding minimum weight.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
They stopped making frame backpacks about 25 years ago yo
The guy in the pic looks to be around my age....I still have my aluminum frame backpack....its obvious the guy made the sissy to suit his own needs, because it IS butt ugly, lol....

Last time I was in Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS)...they were still sellin em....theyre more for hardcores though....not weekenders....mebbe thats why ya aint seen em....Wallymart wont have em Im sure, lol....

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
I still have my aluminum frame backpack as I used it only for one real camping trip up into Canada for a week of fishing with some Canadian Search and Rescue boys, a Nuffie and my brother-in-law that was an American Air Force Major at the time stationed there while in an exchange program with the Canadian military. Maybe I will see if I can support the frame on my bike when needed using the new saddle bag supports I am working on. Between that backpack and the two oversized saddle bags I may be able to pack enough for a two week or longer ride when I finally decide to retire again.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Next time I see ya Tom, I gotta show you the patches I got when I was training in Canada (DH Beavers).....gonna sew em on my vest if my fingers will let me, lol....along with a few others...

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had a old BSA 'w frame' pack for my CX500. Pocket in pack fit sissy bar perfectly, Sat on rear seat. Full size pack, CG was about bottom of my rib cage. And would pack 80#+. Was made in the 60's. I've been looking for one lately.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I've still got an old aluminum external frame backpack from my slightly younger days camping with the BSA. I've since upgraded to a couple of different internal frame backpacks that are better built and can each hold a lot more gear then the external frame one can.

But yeah, they still make them, just gotta look in a real outfitters store and stay outta wallyworld for that kinda stuff.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The guy in the pic looks to be around my age....I still have my aluminum frame backpack....its obvious the guy made the sissy to suit his own needs, because it IS butt ugly, lol....

Last time I was in Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS)...they were still sellin em....theyre more for hardcores though....not weekenders....mebbe thats why ya aint seen em....Wallymart wont have em Im sure, lol....
It's not unusual for me to do a 100 miles on the AT yo :) Last time I saw a external frame pack was about 20 years ago. They're too heavy. Ounces count! That said, I ordered 16ft of square bar to start working on a sissy bar for my pack.

·
Registered
196 Posts

The rare times that I can get away for more than a day ride I still use my bike as a lean to or if it is really nice out I just lay my sleeping bag out next to the bike and sleep under the stars

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The rare times that I can get away for more than a day ride I still use my bike as a lean to or if it is really nice out I just lay my sleeping bag out next to the bike and sleep under the stars
Interesting idea. Build the tent into the sissy bar...hmmmm

The problem with sleeping under the stars in the mountains is that you wake up drenching wet from the dew regardless of the weather.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts