Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my 6 year old Metzler ME880s with Avon Cobra tires (AV71/AV72). The ME880s were a great tire, no complaints and would buy again. However, I’ve heard mix reviews about its replacement, the ME888. So, I decided to give the Avons a try and upsize the front to 110/90-19 this time around. Got a screaming deal from JakeWilson.com (same place I purchased the Metzlers), under $200 for both tires delivered. For reference I paid about the same for the Metzlers 6 years ago. Tire manufacture dates indicate that they are only a few months old, so they are not old stock.

So far I like the Avons just a bit more than the Metzlers. The Avons provide a softer ride (in a good way), equal, if not better grip, and no tracking when crossing bridges with metal-grated decks (the Metzlers tracked a little). The Avon Cobras are a single compound tire, so they won't last as long as the ME888. However, I'm only a weekend rider and my tire die of old age, not tread wear.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I always find my 880s too hard, and transfer a lot of the road shock into the bike. Looking forward to trying another tire, may consider the Avon Cobras after this review.

·
Tinkerer
572 Posts
Thanks for the review, I'm purchasing new tyres shortly, so will see what prices the Avon's are here in the UK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts