Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I did a search of the forum, but couldn't find anything about miles per gallon, so I thought I would post a question : what is the average mpg you all get?

I ask because I was figuring I would get between 40-45mpg, and it seems like I am only getting 35. Does that seem low, or is it about average? Of course I realize there are a lot of variables - highway vs city, laying into the throttle a lot, etc. That's why I said average.

My bike only has about 8000 orig. miles on it (1989) and is in really good shape. Seems to me like I should be getting a little better than 35... any thoughts?

As always, thanks a million all - this forum rocks! :smiley_th

AZ Kev

·
Registered
399 Posts
i get about 45, thats a mix of highway and city miles. i drive conseravtivly (sp)

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
i get about 45, thats a mix of highway and city miles. i drive conseravtivly (sp)
As I remember I even beat that a bit, more like 50-55 mpg, didn't do much city ridin but mostly on the backroads... I think you should get close to, if not 50 mpg. ... Maybe add a bit of SeaFoam to clean up the carbs., and clean the air filters...???
PS-I should mention I went against most on here, and ran high test non ethanol almost 100% of the time...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Hello all,

I did a search of the forum, but couldn't find anything about miles per gallon, so I thought I would post a question : what is the average mpg you all get?
I know there have been threads on this, just a bit hard to find because of how the threads were titled.

First off, you can't go by one tank of gas , you need to track a few of them, and pay attention to how and where you are riding.

I ride my bikes lot I stole them, so I tended to get mpg figures in the mid
30's myself.

Stuff like wind, windsheild size...your size, and terrain have an effect too. How far up are you from sea level?

Has the bike been altered at all from stock? Could it have been re-jetted?

How are you measusing the fuel you use? By looking in the gas cap or running each tank till the bike begs for reserve?

The fast way to get a ball park number on your mpg is to run the bike until it starts to stutter and needs to go to reserve. Carry a one gallon can of gas with you, pour it in the tank , zero your trip-meter and run the bike until it runs out again.

KM

·
2,527 Posts
I get about 38 when I ride hard, and close to 48 mpg when I take it easy. I could probably do better than that, but what fun would that be.:beerchug:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here's the best way to figure MPG:
Fill the tank,
Zero the trip meter,
Ride like the wind!
After your done riding, fill the tank again,
Note the gallons added and do it again,
Divide the miles traveled by the gallons added.
Do this a few times and take an average of the totals.
You should get I would expect, around 50 mph. Now, I must say I haven't done this myself as I'm still in trials with this machine. BUT, the HD I had was getting 30-35 mpg. It had 100 HP AT THE REAR WHEEL. So, I expected as much. Normally the HD's get about 45-50 depending on riding style and they're alot heavier.
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
399 Posts
the best i have gotten is 55 on the highway, about 45-50 anywhere else

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have oversized tires front and rear, ride a combination of city and four lane roads. Last three tanks averaged 49.5 mpg.
Ron

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
I usually get about 40. Would be higher if I'd just slow down a little. Forgot how...

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for replies all

KM - I'm glad to hear that at least someone out there got close to what I am getting. I'm not sure that I ride it like I stole it, but I do get into the power band at least once every ride - it's just too dang hard not to. I claim "the bike made me do it!" Lol

I have run some Seafoam through it, and am planning to again on this next tank. It's worth noting that the bike only had 7800 miles when I bought it, and the guy I bought it from was an older gentleman who said he never really had the bike above 40 mph - used it to put around the retirement town where he lived. I noticed that the bike only seemed to be getting around 30-32 when I first got it, ran a tank with Seafoam through it, now it's getting closer to 35-46mpg.

I am thinking that another tank or 2 with Seafoam in it, and maybe even some new plugs, might do a lot to bump my mileage up. If I could get to 40mpg, I would be happy. I wouldn't expect to get much more, as my bike seems to like me twisting it up a bit now and then ; )

Thanks all! :smiley_th

AZ Kev

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I am thinking that another tank or 2 with Seafoam in it, and maybe even some new plugs, might do a lot to bump my mileage up. If I could get to 40mpg, I would be happy. I wouldn't expect to get much more, as my bike seems to like me twisting it up a bit now and then ; )
new plugs, (iridium ones) and a few Seafoam treatments will help. Also does matter what they are selling as gasoline where you live. Some of these folks saying they get 50-60 mpg are burning fuel without the damn alcohol in it....which makes more power. Air density along with humidity can factor in too...(It's that damn "dry" heat you have there thats hurting your mileage..lol)

I don't think at any time durring my ownership of my Vulcan did I actually try to figure out my gas mileage. I did a rough estimate once on a trip...but that was loaded up and with a passenger. ...the other time was just after a fill up where I remembered to zero the tripmeter ...hence the "around the mid 30's" estimate...as best as I can recall.

My FJR has a little button you can push that will give you your average MPG. Most owners say they are getting mid 40's , every time I check mine it's around 38....so I know I just ride harder.... :smiley_th

As I said before...if I cared about MPG figures I would have bought a scooter................

KM

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I get around 48-52

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
As I said before...if I cared about MPG figures I would have bought a scooter................ KM
KM-Evidently you don't ride stick country much, or that would be somewhat of a key factor... It does however look like your bike has a pretty large tank... I lost approx 5 mpg from the VN750 to the 1200 Sportster, but I did get the 4.5 gal. tank, on the Sportster my milage usually runs about 45 mpg but with an occasional 50 mpg tank...

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
KM-Evidently you don't ride stick country much, or that would be somewhat of a key factor... It does however look like your bike has a pretty large tank... ...

6.61 gallons. As I seem to average around 38 mpg, I can thus ride about 250 miles before I need gas.

On trips on the Vulcan, I would carry a 1 liter fuel bottle of gas ...just in case...but never had to use it.

KM

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
6.61 gallons. As I seem to average around 38 mpg, I can thus ride about 250 miles before I need gas. On trips on the Vulcan, I would carry a 1 liter fuel bottle of gas ...just in case...but never had to use it.
KM
Yep, that'll get you in the sticks and back...lol... At least with me, 250 mi. in the sticks and I won't need any more gas for the cycle, I'll be whupped and out of gas..lol...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I get a consistent 50 to 53 mpg, mixed city/highway. My bike is stock all the way, engine wise,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Man i live bikes... my truck gets about 12 mpg!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts