Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times, but can someone tell me about how many miles can I expect from the brand new stock tires. I ride an average of 4000 miles a year, I am not hard on the bike at all. Just turned 8000 miles and the tires still look new.
Thanks for any advice
Wayne

2006 VN750

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I have an 06 with 9000+ miles and the tread in the center of the back tire is almost gone. I think I was using a bit too much air.

I took a look at the front tire and found that the tread depth is fine but the edges are cupped.

So I'm replacing both tires with a bit less than 10000 miles. I ride my VN pretty aggressively, though, so you may get more life out of yours.

Mark

·
Registered
387 Posts
I was able to get 13000 out of mine.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I don't think I got more than 6k on my IRC's running near max pressure. I need to back off the throttle more ;-) and lose some weight.

DT

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
My Stock tires got only 10K, I put on Metlers and sold the bike with 23K and the tires still looked great.

·
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!
256 Posts
Sometimes time is more important than mileage. Rubber deteriorates over time and any tires coming up on the 5-6 year mark are getting pretty dangerous. If they're over 6 years, you're risking your life every time you ride. If you can see fine dry rot cracks then it's long overdue. Most experienced bikers I've spoken with have recommended every 3-4 years whether they're worn down or not. Same goes if you buy a "new-to-you" bike. Make sure you understand the date codes on the side of the tires. Look for a number starting with "DOT" and ending in either a three or four digit code (tires after the year 2000 have a four digit code) that indicates the week/year of manufacture. For example my front tire code ends in 3905 which translates into the 39th week of 2005. I plan to replace them next spring at roughly the 4-year point. Make sure to check any "new" tires you buy as there is a lot of "new" old outdated stock out there. If they're more than a year old, you're getting gipped and should complain/return/exchange them for a newer set.

·
Registered
154 Posts
20K out of mine....

·
Registered
802 Posts
Don't know if the tires are stock ones or not. PO didn't say they had replaced them. But I have almost 11k on mine, and it's about time for a new front. Figure I'll change both out just for my piece of mind..

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Another drive-by spammer!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great information !!! Now, all that being said, does anyone recommend any particular type of tire or brand for an '05 750 ?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think the Metzler 880's and the Avon Venom X seem the most popular.
Definately go for the bigger front tire 110/90. The back tire size is a preference. I have the larger back tire and it seems to work fine, but am thinking of going back to the original size when I have to change it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hmmmmmmmm.........

I think the Metzler 880's and the Avon Venom X seem the most popular.
Definately go for the bigger front tire 110/90. The back tire size is a preference. I have the larger back tire and it seems to work fine, but am thinking of going back to the original size when I have to change it.
Why would you go back to the smaller tire? Is there much difference in the handling ?

·
Registered
387 Posts
There is another (or multiple) threads about the tire sizes. The bigger front tire helps correct the MPH offset to about 3% under speedometer reading where the stock is about 8-10% under.
The bigger rear tire feels nice and handles well. Kind of gives the Vulcan a bigger bike feel. It also seems to lower the RPM's by about 500. But the fit is tight and can be a bit of a hassle to take off. I've had to deflate the tire to take it off to check the splines.
I have the bigger tire sizes in my sig.

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Putting on a bigger front tire gives you better turning stability.
Also makes your speedo more accurate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts