Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, its been a while since ive posted on here, mainly because Ive been riding every chance i can get and the long hours at work. I have a question. I know that fuel milage depends on the rider, weight, in town or highway, and other things, but there is normally an average. I am curious what other riders are getting out of a tank of gas. I am getting about 80 or 85 miles out of a tank, and that is normally around town, not riding it hard, just cruizing around. I get on the open road occasionally, but not very often since i ride it back and forth from work. I feel like i should be getting more. It is all stock, and the carbs were just recently gone through. Any input would be great. Thanks yall.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Semper Fi Devin!!! I get around 35 mpg. Where you posted and what is your MOS?

·
Banned
431 Posts
42-44; I stay on the throttle though

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Cruising at 45-50 I get around 46 mpg. On the Interstate, as low as 35 mpg. Don't have much stop-and-go riding around here. I have the larger front tire and the odometer reads under actual mileage, so it is actually a little higher than reported above.

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
You should be able to go at least 115 to 130 before switching over to the reserve. Giving your driving habits.....you should be getting much better than you are. Even when my carbs were way out of Sync and my rear jet needle wasn't moving at all due to a bad vacuum slider......I still averaged 40-50 MPG....and that's with aftermarket V&H Cruzers exhaust! I would have some things checked out on it. Your not even getting 30 MPG. Somethings just not right....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats what i thought to, that something jsut wasnt right, burnign to much fuel. Any idea what could cause it to run this rich?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and i am stationed at Camp Lejeune and im a 3521 or MT mechanic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i was getting lousy gas mileage and a drastic loss of power. i found a vacuum hose behind the radiator was disconnected. put it back on and now i get a hard-on every time i twist the throttle. havent had time to see if my gas mileage is better though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was getting lousy gas mileage and a drastic loss of power. i found a vacuum hose behind the radiator was disconnected. put it back on and now i get a hard-on every time i twist the throttle. havent had time to see if my gas mileage is better though.

I dont have any oss of power, just really lousy gas mileage. I should be getting close to double what i am getting now, and am going to be riding to ohio very soon. Would having the air/fuel screws out to far be a cause? I had plans on rejetting when i had the carbs off so they are set at about 2 1/2 turns out, but i am still running factory air and exhaust. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
555 Posts
117 miles highway. around town it's about 80mpg

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I run Chevron brand gasoline in all my vehicles and my bike gets 47 mpg around town and close to home riding. 51-53 mpg at a continuous hwy ride. I,m a 300 pound fellow. Maybe ya'll are to lite weight:doh:

My bike still has the factory carb settings and factory exhaust with the belly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have gotten up to 57mpg. average 114 to 120 before switching to reserve. I am 230 lbs. I also only buy quality gasoline (Chevron or Tesoro). :smiley_th

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the same problem. except I get 70 to a tank MAX. To make it even crazier, I have stock 132 jets, and 38 pilots. LOL WTF? We have what is called an enrichner as a choke. This is not your typical choke, even though it says choke. It just dumps fuel in the carb when opened. If you look in your carb you will see only one butterfly. Anyway, thats probably where you need to focus. I am in Motorcycle Mechanics school, my current teacher is a Kawasaki 20 year tech. I have explained it all to him and he is as stumped as I am. I have even gone as far as to totally disconnect my choke cable to see if it helped. Time to tear it down. I will however let everyone know if I find the problem.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I am curious what other riders are getting out of a tank of gas. I am getting about 80 or 85 miles out of a tank, and that is normally around town, not riding it hard, just cruizing around.
80-85? thats it!? i get about 150 miles before i even switch to reserve!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts