Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the "normal" or "average" fuel economy and range on a single tank of Gas that you are all getting?

I just got the bike very recently and have been filling it up from a 5 gallon gas can in the garage until the last few days.

The first time I measured it, was all highway speeds at 70-75MPH and I got 64MPG. Second trip was a mix of city and highway and I got 55MPG.

Is that normal? I'm riding with a single (200lb) driver, no passenger, and empty saddle bags. I am driving pretty conservatively too. Given that mileage, it might well become my primary method of commuting 31 miles to work. The weight feels a bit funny with a 30lb backpack on riding along, but you get used to it after a day or two.

-Greg

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been keeping track to see how accurate my gas guage is. I've been averaging 48-50 mpg.

Commute 60 miles round trip, all freeway speeds.

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Roamergrg,

What size tires are you running? A smaller (stock size) front tire will make your speedometer about 10% optimistic, while a larger than stock rear tire will lower your RPMs in any given gear which will actually increase your gas mileage.

48-50 mpg at steady highway speeds is about what most of us get.

-Sloppy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stock tires.

Me thinks I need to check speed with my GPS.

And I WONDERED why people were being impatient when I was doing 10 over the speed limit!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I always go 5mph over the speed limit. ran along side my wife's car while she was going 60 mph and my bike's speedo was at 65. I'm a fat boy so I only get an average of 45mpg combined city and highway driving and average 120 without reserve on a tank of gas with both tires stock size.

·
Registered
166 Posts
well not using res i get between 115-130 miles to the tank. and i too is a fat boy lol . i have the over sized tires and the home made drag pipes with the air/fuel screws at 3 turns.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I averaged 45 mpg and I'm 260 (ish). Yes, your stock tires are jacking up your speedo by about 10% so your trip meter will be off by about 10% too as I recall. The 110 front tire closes that gap considerably, to +-3%.

I don't really understand the logic behind the Jap speedos reading high especially on the smaller displacement bikes. My buddy's 01 shadow 750 reads at least 10% high and he thinks I'm always speeding when we ride together. My 1500 is pretty close to spot on with a GPS, for whatever reason, with stock tire sizes.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I Just went 138 miles to reserve.
DT

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Interesting posts! I thought the VN750 speedo's were pretty accurate. I guess not. I just sold a 2004 Honda VTX1300C and it too was about 10% too high. That was digital, so it could be fixed with a speedohealer. Is the only fix for these a tire change?

·
Registered
175 Posts
My bike, with stock size tires, indicates about 10% high on the speedometer and overreports mileage by about 1.7%. I'm not too concerned about correcting anything. I just ride at indicated 10% faster than I really want to go and leave it at that. 10% is nice easy math to do on the fly.

My average mileage is around 52, high tank 61. High miles on a tank 173.7.

The 64 at highway speed is an impressive number. Are you sure you got it the same amount full before and after that tank?

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
I average 46-52 combined city/hwy, depending on how hard I ride i. Best mileage was 55 mpg. I've been keeping 35 psi in the rear tire, and 30 psi in the front. Might go a bit higher on the psi when I switch to nitrogen this week (Costco is doing it for free since I buy all my car tires there).

What tire pressure are you using? Your mileage really is phenomenal.

I just got the bike very recently and have been filling it up from a 5 gallon gas can in the garage until the last few days.

The first time I measured it, was all highway speeds at 70-75MPH and I got 64MPG. Second trip was a mix of city and highway and I got 55MPG.

-Greg

·
Super Moderator
11,932 Posts
I averaged 45 mpg and I'm 260 (ish). Yes, your stock tires are jacking up your speedo by about 10% so your trip meter will be off by about 10% too as I recall. .
Actually the odometer and trip meter are pretty accurate, only the speedometer is off by about 10%.

Keep in mind to get a "average" fuel consumption , you really need to keep track of several tank fulls.

In all the years I owned my Vulcan , I never paid any attention to mpg. I still really can not say what I averaged , and even today with my FJR , I can push a button on the dash to get an instant read out of my fuel comsumpsion, but have not used it for a few years now.

Becuae I am still going to ride the thing, and I am still going to put more gas in when the fuel gauge says it needs it , so knowing what amount of gas it actually uses a day, a month, a mile, whatever, is useless info in my opinion. ;)

KM

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Knowing your MPG is useful for trip planning and gas stops. I want to know where I'm going to run out of gas ;-) If I ride a combo of interstate and county roads, I plan on 50 MPG.

DT

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Knowing your MPG is useful for trip planning and gas stops. I want to know where I'm going to run out of gas ;-) If I ride a combo of interstate and county roads, I plan on 50 MPG.

DT
I average around 120 to 130 miles before switching to reserve and I usually fill back up and reset my trip meter,since my fuel gauge doesn't work and from what I have heard about it's accuracy on here, it is not worth fixing .I never had a gas gauge before and remember running out once back in '82 nor '83.Gas mileage as a number is not that important but the range of a tank of gas is. It lets you plan your stops a little better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Was getting about 46 mpg,I'm 6-03 @265 so I'm hauling around a little more beef that some of ya'all . I rode a little sporty but not fast or recklessly

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Was getting about 46 mpg,I'm 6-03 @265 so I'm hauling around a little more beef that some of ya'all . I rode a little sporty but not fast or recklessly
Some ,maybe :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Speaking of reserve... I am going to run it down to reserve just to see how long I get. How much sputtering do you get before it shuts off? A few seconds or a few minutes? It's easy enough to switch to reserve while on it, but just not something to do on the highway.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Practice with the Reserve lever with the bike on the center stand. It might seem silly, but it is a good idea to be able to flip it to Reserve without thinking about it, because when you ask for a burst of power and the bike sputters, you don't want to have to look down or fumble for seconds to find it.

If I'm close to where I think Reserve might be necessary, I'll actually sometimes flip it to Reserve proactively when I anticipate a merge or other critical maneuver for power delivery (In time for the fuel flow from the lower pickup to be well-established in time for the need for power), then flip it back to On to ride steady-state on the highway so I get the advance running-out-of-gas warning.

The first time I ever needed Reserve, I'd been running steady-state on a 45 MPH road and coasted gradually to a stop. The first warning I noticed that I needed Reserve was that the bike died every time I let the clutch out.

The better the bike runs and the more power you're demanding, the more warning you'll get if you pay attention when the running starts to roughen.

·
2,526 Posts
Speaking of reserve... I am going to run it down to reserve just to see how long I get. How much sputtering do you get before it shuts off? A few seconds or a few minutes? It's easy enough to switch to reserve while on it, but just not something to do on the highway.

When the sputtering starts, you probably only have a few seconds. You won't be able to accelerate and will actually slow. This is my experience. I let mine run down pretty regularly and I am used to putting on the reserve while moving, then it kicks back in after a 2 or 3 seconds. Just make sure when you fill up to take it off of reserve.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Once you sputter you only have only a few moments to switch to reserve. Easily done even on the highway. Once it happened to me when I just passed a truck and pulled in front of him. Made me slow down for a moment, and boy was he pissed! I panicked but did what I had to and shot off like a bat out of ...! My advice is to be keenly aware that your mileage is such that you will need to switch to reserve very soon, and be prepared to make the switch so it goes smoothly.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts