Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There I was cruising home after work and having to hit my reserve switch doing 70mph. no biggie really but it got me thinking that I only have about a gallon of fuel left. Now I had to switch over at 115 miles reading on the odometer which means I can push it to 155 to 160 miles at about 45 mpg before I am completely out of fuel and pushing the bike. So that gets me thinking of installing an auxiliary tank. My question is if someone has done this before or have an idea on who to talk with that has? I sure hate to get stuck in a place where there isnt a fuel stop for the next 220 miles like there is in some areas of Eastern Wa. if you know what I mean. I have seen these extra tanks on the bigger V twins so it can be done but can it be done on our bikes?

Peace :beerchug:

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
I've been considering adding an aux tank myself.

One of the popular options is the tourtank. I do have pictures of a former Y! group members install and they follow below. If you want details on the install you'll need to do a search over on the Y! site for tourtank, once you find messages by jill you've found the right thread.

With good searching you should be able to find pictures of the mounting setup and the mount, apparently all the pics I have are of the plumbing ;-) (I'm probably going to use a different aux tank... but who knows ;-)

Do pay attention to file names - one is a pic of what NOT to do ;-)

Once again, these are NOT of my bike - they're of someone elses...

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
The tank on her bike is mounted on the rear luggage rack.

Making pizza, only hopped on because I lost the dough recipe and wanna try something new... I'll see if I can find the pics of the mounted tank when the dough is rising...

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If its like the tourtank from the tourtank.com thats just down right ugly. I was hoping for something that might hide away, not something as HUGE and round as that...lol. Besides with that on the back you're now greatly reducing your cargo space. Hmmm something for the engineers at work to think about.

Peace :beerchug:

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
I have seen some home made ones that were more rectangular, If you know someone that can weld good, you can make one to fit under the luggage rack like a tiny set of saddlebags.

Of course if you know someone that is a real good welder, you could just have them cut your tank in half, weld in a 3 inch strip, and increase the gas tank capacity greatly.

(Painting again is another cost)

KM

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
The MSR bottle is a great idea. I have a couple lying around with my camping gear that I don't use anymore after switching away from white gas stoves. Now I know what to use 'em for! Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts