Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw these on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x24-End-Filler-Spun-Aluminum-Gas-Tank-8-Gallon-FREE-LIGHTENING-FAST-SHIPPING/231067097429?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222002&algo=SIC.FIT&ao=1&asc=261&meid=2519087344618940308&pid=100005&prg=1088&rk=1&rkt=5&sd=231006674097&

Anyone use them? They have 3.5 gallon and 5 gallon. I think the 5gallon would be the right size I'd look into for touring. It'd just mount to the back luggage bar. I'll just add a quick connect line so I can remove it when I don't need it. It would just gravity feed directly to the petcock? Maybe I can even use the petcock, maybe into the reserve line?

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Somebody had a pony keg on the luggage rack.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Never heard of those, but some riders on advrider.com have used purpose built aux tanks made for motorcycles. They are common on Iron Butt runs and trips to Alaska. http://tourtank.com/

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I saw these on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x24-End-Filler-Spun-Aluminum-Gas-Tank-8-Gallon-FREE-LIGHTENING-FAST-SHIPPING/231067097429?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222002&algo=SIC.FIT&ao=1&asc=261&meid=2519087344618940308&pid=100005&prg=1088&rk=1&rkt=5&sd=231006674097&

Anyone use them? They have 3.5 gallon and 5 gallon. I think the 5gallon would be the right size I'd look into for touring. It'd just mount to the back luggage bar. I'll just add a quick connect line so I can remove it when I don't need it. It would just gravity feed directly to the petcock? Maybe I can even use the petcock, maybe into the reserve line?
Many of us welcome the fuel stop for a butt break. LOL
3.5 gal would be a good back-up.
....just sayin'

:smiley_th

·
Super Moderator
11,943 Posts
We had a gal in the Yahoo group years back that put one on her bike. On the way to a Gathering a hose popped off and leaking gas caught her bike on fire.

I'd feel safer just taking a sealed bottle of fuel, and yes, those pit stops for gas every 120 miles are the limit of my butt too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never heard of those, but some riders on advrider.com have used purpose built aux tanks made for motorcycles. They are common on Iron Butt runs and trips to Alaska. http://tourtank.com/
The Ebay ones look like cheaper version of the Tourtank. They look identical, but if they're not baffled inside, then the gas would slosh around a lot. So I think I'll go with the Tourtank version. Not a huge difference in price for the peace-of-mind.

The reason I got the Vulcan is to tour with... I toured with my Kawi Z1000, and it has a 4.3 gallon tank and get about the same gas mileage as the Vulcan!
The Vulcan has a much more comfortable seat, so I can definitely do more than 120 miles per leg. I'm only getting about 30-33mpg, probably because I'm riding it like the Z1000.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Most of the miles on my Vulcan 750 are from long distance interstate riding. There are almost always gas stations close enough together for it not to be an issue. I put gas in mine without getting off the bike. I just pull up to the pump, open the gas cap, stick the card in the pump, and fill the tank. I use a magnetic tank bag on longer trips, which I usually just remove and lay on top of the pump.

There have been times I needed to carry extra gas, and I did so in those one gallon plastic oil jugs. I can easily ride 500 miles on the Vulcan 750 without needing to get off. That is one of the main reasons I have bought two new ones, and why I still have one. This bike was built to ride, not to look at, though I think it looks pretty good too.

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
I live in New Mexico and there are plenty of stretches of road without gas. I do worry about figuring wrong or the gas station I was counting on being closed or out of gas. I have a couple of empty Seafoam cans that I fill with gas and tuck into my saddlebags just as a safety net. I experimented and found by adding one can I went over 150 miles. I'm one of those that needs to walk a bit after a hundred miles.

·
Super Moderator
11,943 Posts
I carry a one liter aluminum camp stove fuel bottle on trips filled with gas. Never had to use it but seemed a good idea to take along.

Never really saw the need to spend the time and money putting in an auxillery tank however, even with the Vulcans tiny tank. Going more than 120 miles without getting my butt off the seat for a while would be torture.....on any bike no matter how comfortable it is.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
At freeway speeds of 70 mph my bike would get 105 miles. By 106 miles I'd have been pushing it for a few hundred yards. I'd like to find a good, quality custom bike shop to widen my tank by two inches on each side for the extra fuel, whatever that would work out to be.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,733 Posts
At freeway speeds of 70 mph my bike would get 105 miles. By 106 miles I'd have been pushing it for a few hundred yards. I'd like to find a good, quality custom bike shop to widen my tank by two inches on each side for the extra fuel, whatever that would work out to be.
so by my math, you are getting around 30mpg at 70mph? :confused:

I get around 45mpg at 70mph with my bike being fully loaded. Hmmm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts