Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sad time for most of us here in the northern parts. Fair weather riders are parking their bikes soon. I plan on riding at least into the mid to low 40's so I still have awhile, but times getting shorter. I got a new Tourmaster Saber series jacket click here (in black)a few weeks ago and love it riding home in the mornings. Keeps me very warm and the cold air stays out. :motorcycl

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I can't wait for fall feeling temps! Even winter temps are fine withe me. It will be a pleasure to ride when it doesn't feel like 105 with 99% humidity. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Here in the Midwest fall is the perfect riding time. You can wear all your protective armored gear without sweating, the rides in the country as the leaves change color are spectacular and the motor loves the cooler air.

Highs this week very from low 80's to mid 70's and lows from mid 40's to low 60's. Can't think of better temps to ride in.

I realize it it gets colder sooner farther north, but here until there's snow or ice on the roads, riding continues.
:)

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Same here in the Atlanta area. This is prime riding season now!

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I just hate mowing the leaves!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I like to ride year round. Unless there is snow or ice on the roads I'm out there. Last year here in Idaho I went riding at Christmas and New Years day. People were looking at me kinda funny.

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Just curious... what is low to you Slim? As a matter of fact, what is the lowest temp any of you will consider riding in?

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Up here cold doesn't start until 0 degrees .... until then it's just chilly. I have ridden before in sub zero weather, but that was out of neccesity (one running vehicle) and younger days. Now I park it at about 30F .... riding in anything colder just freezes the boogers and that can be a distraction.

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
I will ride year round. Or at least, I used to when I lived in CA. Up here in OR, it's probably going to be a different story. I don't mind riding in the rain; in fact, I enjoy it. However, I might have to draw the line at snow, and I'll definitely draw the line if there's the chance for ice. Ice is bad enough to drive over in a car; on a bike I think it would almost be an instant crash, especially if leaned over at all.
I like to ride year round. Unless there is snow or ice on the roads I'm out there. Last year here in Idaho I went riding at Christmas and New Years day. People were looking at me kinda funny.
Now wait a minute, I thought last year at Christmas you were recovering from an accident. Did that not really happen?

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I will ride year round. Or at least, I used to when I lived in CA. Up here in OR, it's probably going to be a different story. I don't mind riding in the rain; in fact, I enjoy it. However, I might have to draw the line at snow, and I'll definitely draw the line if there's the chance for ice. Ice is bad enough to drive over in a car; on a bike I think it would almost be an instant crash, especially if leaned over at all.

Originally Posted by TSmith68 View Post
Now wait a minute, I thought last year at Christmas you were recovering from an accident. Did that not really happen?

...BUSTED !

WilliamTech :smiley_th

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
I thought Eugene got an inch of snow about once every 3 to 4 years.
It got a little snow last year when we came up for Christmas. But even then it gets plenty cold enough for ice, especially out in the hills where the best roads are. And ice is the thing that worries me/us the most on the bike.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I knew about the ice.. I have a lot of friends in Eugene/Springfield/Halsey area. They always complained when they got an inch of snow sticking for a week or two. while us guys on the eastern side were stuck in our drive ways.

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Yeah, it's kind of a matter of perspective, isn't it? Not being able to go for a ride vs. not even being able to get out of the house.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Big thing about autumn riding, is wet leaves....they can be as bad as ice or worse if oak. Also, due to the drought this year in many parts, nut trees are producing/dropping more than usual. Hit a black walnut nut on a curve at 30, and you'll be at zero soon. Acorns too. Usually squirrels around tho, hit them...nice lil on the road snack. Dont hit em unless ya plan on eatin em though. Roadkill on a curve will make ya slide too...

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Wow... I feel very lucky. Down here it shouldn't drop below a low of 30 for more than a few days at a time. I plan on riding all year if I can get the gear to stay warm. I still need a full face helmet.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Cycle Gear has been running a lot of deals on their Bilt full face and modular helmets lately. They aren't Shoei or anything but they are DOT approved. Sorry about discussing helmets...I don't want to turn this into that kind of thread. :)

I also plan to ride year round. I had to put the wind-breaker liner in my Tourmaster jacket a couple of nights for a ride. But it came right back out. I still have that and the quilted liner so I should be good for a while still.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts