Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Adventuregeek
162 Posts
Many thanks for the tailgater tips! As a new rider, I'm always borrowing the lessons you folks have learned.

Has anyone tried riding with a dummy on the back? (no spouse jokes!) You push the dummy off when a tailgater's on ya and let 'em run over it. It would cause an accident, yeah, but wouldn't you pay to see their face?

How many of you ride with their gun?

Mr. Smith (he's .40) rides behind the front pocket of my jacket. With that said, it's my very last resort when running like hell has failed.

As far as calling an LEO in Atlanta, don't bother. I tailed the worst DUI you ever saw one day, in constant cell phone contact with police dispatchers. He was clearing three lanes on the interstate weaving at 45 MPH, no kidding. 70 minutes and four police jurisdictions later, he parked at home unmolested. Georgia State Patrol, Dekalb County, Cobb County, and City of Marietta just couldn't be bothered to go get him, with me telling them where he was moment to moment. Too busy writing speeding tickets to actually catch a criminal.

·
Super Moderator
11,972 Posts
Just for fun, and not meant as a serious solution, one of my fellow FJR forum members installed an electric fuel pump, with handlebar mounted switch , that sprays water? out the back of his bike via two windshield wiper fluid spray nozzles.
Short video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzlfkNOBGSA

Unfortunently other than trying the "back off signal" there is little one can do to repell a tailgater safely.

A few folks I know in the New England area (why are there so many tailgaters there?) have solved the daily commuting problem with these assholes by finding an alternate route and/or leaving for work earlier.

As I mentioned in a few other threads, you can not win an arguement with a cage. There are too many asswipes that will run you down with very little provication needed... going offensive is simpy stupid and dangerous.

KM

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
As someone pointed out, there was a farily big thread on this a while ago, and I'll add here what I added there. I've done the back off arm wave, tapped the rbakes enough to activate the tail light, the side to side weave, and even the hands up in the air like WTF! (only do that when you are stopped though). I'm not a big fan of the pull off move unless you first do the stomp on the gas. Especially in the OP's situation. Often the tailgaters are so close you run a major risk of getting clipped as you turn. Fortunately, here in CA, I never have to deal with tailgaters for very long since I can just split up to the front of the herd and be clear.

I would say be careful no matter what state you're in, cause you never know what is in someone else's mind (or in their inside pocket) that could make them snap at a moment's notice.

Letitflight - I hope you've replaced that helmet by now...

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
On another forum someone made a suggestion that has stuck with me. If you are being tailgated while on your bike, don't do anything you wouldn't do if you were hiking in the woods and came upon a grizzly bear. You shouldn't throw paintballs or rocks at it, you should try to calmly leave the area without provoking it. Seems like a good analogy.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts

·
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!
256 Posts

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
I do. Almost all the time, unless I'm going to work (get caught with it there, I am terminated on the spot).

Usually carry a Makarov in 9x18mm.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I don't know. I think if we were all to report every idiot cager we would need thousands of posts. Yesterday alone I got cut off twice, At a light someone squeezed between me and the sidewalk and tried passing me when the light turned green (woman on a cell phone) and someone went around me as I went to back up into a parking spot. I did have my turn signal on about 50 feet before the spot and basically stopped in the middle of the lane and they still went around. :doh:

Anyway. I think I'm done with my bitching for a while. Ride safe everyone.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
:rockon: I agree too...i need to keep it cool!!!!
I have a vest that has a gun carry pocket on each side, I carry a S&W 11oz. .357 in the left side and 5 extra cartridges in the right for balance, "dang" I dread having to shoot that darn light thing in .357 as they always felt like they had more hand hurt than a .44 Mag....lol...
But it does carry good...lol...
On a side note, I think I saw on the news this morning (just passed) that you can now carry leagal in US parks, if you have a permit of course...???
[edit] Note-Tenn. permit holders, it now takes about 4 mos. even for renewal...!!!????
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
881 Posts
i feel no need & have no desire to carry a gun...the .44 mag stays where it belongs. what a number that would do on my ribs if i ever laied the bike down.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I grew up in Massachusetts (there 44 years) and have friends and relatives in Rhode Island. So, I know about the agressive driving in the area. However, I moved to Portland, Oregon 2 years ago where the drivers are not aggressive at all (very passive actually). It took me a while, and 1 ticket, to abandon my agressive ways. Then I flew back to Boston for a funeral 2 weeks ago and I noticed (more than ever) that the traffic congestion and agressiveness has gotten worse (not to mention the roads around Boston are a mess now). I would probably sell my bike if I ever moved back to the East Coast. In Oregon most auto drivers yield right-of-way to 2 wheeled vehicles of any kind.

·
Adventuregeek
162 Posts
Why does everyone carry a gun? Do you need it? What for?
Well, first I repeat that "absolute last resort after running has failed..." part. Situations where I might need it include:

- Any mugging or attack with armed or multiple assailants. I'm not Chuck Norris, and you can count on the creeps to be armed.
- Being broke down in any of the thug-infested neighborhoods around my house (SW Atlanta). Spent an hour after dark just like that fixing a problem last week. It was nice to have a "companion" along.
- Any need to protect my wife. She's tough, but Asian and kinda short... and not Michelle Yeoh either.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Well, first I repeat that "absolute last resort after running has failed..." part. Situations where I might need it include:

- Any mugging or attack with armed or multiple assailants. I'm not Chuck Norris, and you can count on the creeps to be armed.
- Being broke down in any of the thug-infested neighborhoods around my house (SW Atlanta). Spent an hour after dark just like that fixing a problem last week. It was nice to have a "companion" along.
- Any need to protect my wife. She's tough, but Asian and kinda short... and not Michelle Yeoh either.
This is about right, most of the bad guys have them, so I like evening the odds. Hope to never use one except for at the range, but wouldn't hesitate if warranted.

Jon

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Why does everyone carry a gun? Do you need it? What for?
LP, its like good whiskey, better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it... The one I carry was test fired at the factory and I am taking their word it will fire again, but I have never fired it, and hope I never do... The only pistols I shoot will out shoot 99.9% of rifles out there, I am just an accuracy nut and not a fan of the little carry pistols, but I think it is best to have one if needed...lol... The same could be said of a cell phone, it isn't worth a crap if you don't need it, but it is good to have if you break down or need something, so I carry both...
I don't think a hot head should carry, but I do believe if you carry you must be willing to use it if neccessary, but only if neccessary...

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Makes sense. One of my buddies at the airport does alot of flying in and out of cities in South America and he's never without one. I know its a 45 but I don't what that means. I've always wanted to learn how to shoot but never got around to it. Do I just google "shooting ranges" and my zip code? Do I need a gun in order to use a shooting range or will they I guess "rent" me one?

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
LP, in most cases if you just visit a range there will be shooters willing to help, a lot of shooters are very helpful and would probably even let you shoot their guns to see how you liked the shoooting sport... They may be, and should be, a bit contrary where safety is concerned...
I would think you could google shooting ranges in your area... There are usually different kinds of ranges, skeet, trap, pistol, rifle etc., a lot of gun clubs have most of the ones mentioned also...
Give it a shot and see what you find, and if you don't find anything check out the NRA site and see if they list any...

21 - 40 of 52 Posts