Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it is just Rhode Island drivers but it seems every time I go out some idiot wants to be up my ass. Most of the time I'm talking close enough to where I can't see their headlights in my mirrors. Do they just not understand that if the slightest thing happens and I need to stop or I lay down the bike they will not be able to stop if they are that close? Anyway. I just had to get that off my chest.... I mean ASS! :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Rhode Island doesn't have a lock on idiots. They're everywhere. :doh:

The best method I've found in dealing with tailgaters is to gently "wave" them back. Extend the left arm with the hand toward the ground and slowly move it as if you are pushing them back. If they back off, give them the thumbs up signal to thank them. If they don't, find a good place to let them by. It may be hard to use a gentle wave and avoid the other rigid digit sign when they are extremely close, but keep your cool. Folks respond better to requests, which is what the gentle wave is, than demands, and leaves a better impression of bikers. Plus, you are educating them for other bikers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
881 Posts
ya, i hate it in my truck when they do that, its even worse on the bike. i usually try to get there attention by doing mirror checks, if that don't work i give a slow down wave, left hand to the side & back a bit & wave my hand like im petting the dogs head. if nothing works i get myself out of there.

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
I have two methods to combat the butt-huggers.
1 - I extend my left arm downward and push back as does flightcontrol, adding in a few taps of the foot brake to enhance the experience with a bit of light. Almost always works.
2 - at rest I turn and point out the sticker on the back of the bike that says "Tailgaters Suck". They laugh and back off when we're moving again.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have two methods to combat the butt-huggers.
1 - I extend my left arm downward and push back as does flightcontrol, adding in a few taps of the foot brake to enhance the experience with a bit of light. Almost always works.
2 - at rest I turn and point out the sticker on the back of the bike that says "Tailgaters Suck". They laugh and back off when we're moving again.
I gotta get me one of them stickers :beerchug:

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Rhode Island doesn't have a lock on idiots. They're everywhere. :doh:

The best method I've found in dealing with tailgaters is to gently "wave" them back. Extend the left arm with the hand toward the ground and slowly move it as if you are pushing them back. If they back off, give them the thumbs up signal to thank them. If they don't, find a good place to let them by. It may be hard to use a gentle wave and avoid the other rigid digit sign when they are extremely close, but keep your cool. Folks respond better to requests, which is what the gentle wave is, than demands, and leaves a better impression of bikers. Plus, you are educating them for other bikers.

Good luck.
First time hearing this, GREAT idea flite. I usually get frustrated and romp on it a little but this is way, WAY better. The fact that we're educating people is definitely the best part of it, not to mention that its effective. Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
363 Posts
sometime i wish i had a LED sighn board on the back of my bike so i could type a message to those that feel like the have to occupie the same space that i am f=riding in . have thought about getting a sticker that reads " IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOU ARE TOO DAM CLOSE , BACK OFF!!! "

·
Registered
668 Posts
man i need to learn how to control myself...last time i had a tailgater i stopped in the middle of the road and vent out all my anger at the driver...he tried to be a smart ass so i took my helmet and slammed it on his hood making a big dent!!!!! I know my reaction was very immature but couldn't help it. when i think about it , i feel bad....but at the moment i felt in danger knowing there is a truck (lawn mowing truck) full of dudes tailgating my butt!!!

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I 100% agree with this. You are totally vulnerable on the bike so be nice. If they pull over when I pull over to let them pass, I get my 40 handy.

Jon

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
man i need to learn how to control myself...last time i had a tailgater i stopped in the middle of the road and vent out all my anger at the driver...he tried to be a smart ass so i took my helmet and slammed it on his hood making a big dent!!!!! I know my reaction was very immature but couldn't help it. when i think about it , i feel bad....but at the moment i felt in danger knowing there is a truck (lawn mowing truck) full of dudes tailgating my butt!!!
It's really hard at times not to be too emphatic with the wave or other hand gestures. Having that much metal moving right behind you at speed really interferes with your concentration and raises the stress level considerably. Just remember, for 99.9% of them, they just don't recognize the danger to you. They're oblivious! Sorta like a little kid with a knife. They just don't know it's a hazard. If you think of it as an investment in education that might keep you or another biker safer the next time they're behind a bike, it helps. I guarantee that they won't forget the experience, especially if it is a positive one.

There are people who have the self control and diplomacy to speak to a tailgater and make it a positive experience. I've never done it to someone who tailgates me, because I don't have that level of control. However, I did it once for a young girl tailgating another biker. Followed her to where she stopped for ice cream and talked with her. It was fairly easy because it wasn't my behind she was threatening! Sure hope she remembers the next time.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The best method I've found in dealing with tailgaters is to gently "wave" them back. Extend the left arm with the hand toward the ground and slowly move it as if you are pushing them back. If they back off, give them the thumbs up signal to thank them. If they don't, find a good place to let them by. It may be hard to use a gentle wave and avoid the other rigid digit sign when they are extremely close, but keep your cool. Folks respond better to requests, which is what the gentle wave is, than demands, and leaves a better impression of bikers. Plus, you are educating them for other bikers.QUOTE]

I 100% agree with this. You are totally vulnerable on the bike so be nice. If they pull over when I pull over to let them pass, I get my 40 handy.

Jon

:rockon: I agree too...i need to keep it cool!!!!
How many of you ride with their gun?

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
If you want to help them learn not to tailgate, get their license number and when you pull-over and stop somewhere give the CHP/Police a call.
Give them the license number and tell them that the person was Tailgating & Driving erratically. Your afraid that they're going to cause an
accident.

When they're stopped they will be told that somebody called in about their tailgating. From then on they will know somebody is watching
their driving.

But if you just like to be mean........Carry some of those little paint balls with you. When they get too close flip 1 or 2 over your shoulder.
They'll be wondering what kind of bug splatters Bright Pink/Green/Blue when you hit it.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
First time hearing this, GREAT idea flite. I usually get frustrated and romp on it a little but this is way, WAY better. The fact that we're educating people is definitely the best part of it, not to mention that its effective. Thanks for posting this.
Not my idea originally; got it off a list of MC safety tips on the internet.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
We had another thread almost identical to this one a few months ago, and I saw many of the suggestions mentioned here, on that thread too. I agree that the left arm out, hand down, sweep back motion is probably the best first response. It is a gentle, courteous action that will often get the desired response. It also leaves the public with a better image of bikers.

However there were a few more ideas to consider. One member said that he would make a couple of quick swerves right in front of the tailgater. Another would lift both hands off the grips, and hold them straight up for a couple of seconds. Of course the second idea requires that you have a cruise control or throttle lock, so you don`t slow down too fast and get run over anyway, (which would negate the whole purpose of this action).

Both these tactics seemed to get the desired response, as the tailgaters thought the biker didn`t have control of the bike, and was about to crash. I saw another move mentioned on the forum, not long ago. You just touch the rear brake pedal enough to activate the brake light, and slow 2-3 mph, then turn in the seat and point your index finger straight at the driver. This is most effective if performed in front of a LEO, as it may get the offender a ticket for unsafe driving.

Another offered one more step to jthill`s suggestion to phone in their license plate number, report tailgating and erratic driving. Also report that they pointed a gun at you. It will make for a memorable stop and search for the cager.

A rider who was also a LEO, would reach inside a pocket to get his wallet, and flash his silver star at the offending driver. An instant back off was the norm.

I think my favorite was from someone who had access to licensing data on his computer at work. He would record the plate number, then check it at work and cross reference it with the registered owners drivers license and physical description. If it all matched, he would write a letter to the registered owner and inform him of his tailgating and where and what time it occured. The owner would then be reminded that the writer knew who he was and where he lived, but the recipient had no idea who the writer was. He would then be advised that his driving habits should improve. I LOVE IT. I wish I could see his face when he opens the letter.

jth, no matter how tempting it is, I would be carefull with the paintballs. It doesn`t take much to set off road rage these days, and you on a bike are no match for 2 tons of steel with a pee`d off driver on your tail.

So what do you say that we all make a commitment not to be the one who becomes enraged, or causes another to do so. Stay calm, use the brush back sign. If that doesn`t work, change lanes or pull off, or speed up and pull ahead, then pull over and get their plate number as they go by and report them. Do what you have to, to stay safe, and live to ride another day

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Getting the license number and reporting the offender may work well in some areas. Not in mine. For a LEO officer to pull someone over here, he must have a reason to do it; broken taillight, failure to signal a lane change, etc. Doesn't have to be much, but it has to be something they saw. Me simply saying the guy was tailgating gets me a "Gosh I'm sorry and I wish an officer had seen it so we could do something about it." response. If I lie and say he pointed a gun at me, I risk being charged with making a false report. Here, only LE has access to license and registration information, names, address, etc. They cannot legally release that information to the public. One local deputy lost his job for doing it as a favor for a friend. The computer records whoever logs in to check someone's information.

If a LEO was within his jurisdiction, flashed his badge and didn't ticket someone who was tailgating them, I'd say they were shirking their duty. Before someone gets the idea of buying a badge to wave at tailgaters, in some areas that is considered impersonating a police officer, a felony offense.

Personally, I'd like to be able to mount RPG launchers fore and aft to take care of tailgaters and those that cut you off. Until then, guess I'll stick with the wave. :smiley_th

·
Redneck on a rice burner
179 Posts
When the hand signal don't work ,I back off the gas & SLOW down & put my hazards on.Most people are in a hurry to get home and sit on there butt.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts