Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
It looks like I'm now due for the ACCT replacement at 22K miles. I hear the tapping lifter noise for about a minute when the bike is cold at startup from the front right hand side, then goes away. I have read the Grambo info and have a couple of questions:

- What size screwdriver do I need to turn the screw and do I turn the screw Clockwise or Counterclockwise and let it go and have the spring snap back?

I have also read about the conversion to Manual or buying the manual cam tensioner from TOC, but I'm just a little nervous about messing with it . If I decide to just replace my ACCT with the OEM ACCT, do I just remove the old one for the right hand side and insert the new one in it's place? do I still need to adjust the new ones, tighten the spring or the screw?

Thanks in advance!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
The "grambo" trick is just a short-term solution to get rid of some annoying noise; it doesn't do much to actually strengthen the spring in the ACCT or anything.

I am very happy with my TOC manual tensioners. Many are keen on their ACCT to Manual conversions, too.

Installation isn't that bad.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much guys....I am a little short on cash since I replaced my stator and balancers recently. Cool...so If I decide to just go with the ACCT , I just unbolt the old one and install the new one? If I decide to go with the MCCT, have to get it adjusted and check the tension and all...

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Never replace an ACCT with an ACCT.

I repeat, do not just put another ACCT in there. Replace it with manual or convert yours.

Replacing it with another ACCT is simply not a viable option.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
thtanner, I'm going to replace my ACCT this winter. What is the reason for not replacing with another ACCT?
they are a weak design and you will keep on replacing them.convert to a MCCT and you won't have to replace another.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks Doc. That makes sense. I was beginning to wander if I was going to have to replace these things after another 26,000 miles.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I've heard of them failing sooner than that, some under 10k.

I just think the design is inherently weak.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
I remember someone had to replace one at 7800 miles

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Mine crapped out around 10,500 miles. I replaced a little after 11,000 with some TOC MCCTs. Easy to do and once done its done for good.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just got my APE MCCT's in the mail yesterday. Hoping to get them put in today (after i get the leak under the kitchen sink stopped). From what I understand, I just remove the old ones. Make sure the adjusting bolt is unscrewed all the way. Install the new one and tighten until it stops and then back it out 1/4 turn. Do i need to turn the engine over or rock it back and forth any? Any remarks are welcome.

BTW, its going to be in the 60's today as it was yesterday. Very unusual for northern Illinois and a welcome break from old man winter. Saw 5 bikes on the road yesterday. One of them as late as 10:00.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
do not turn the motor over until they are tight.can jump time if you do.is close to 50 here in upstate NY

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ok. Got the plumbing in the kitchen fixed and wifey is happy. Got the new MCCT's installed and it went pretty well until I began putting the coolant reservoir tank back on. It seemed to take forever, then I realized that the tank was hitting the end of the new MCCT. It would not go into place. I went to ACE Hardware and got a longer bolt and put it in. Now the tank is kinda kattywampus but it is secure. It also is hitting the end of the bolt on the MCCT so I'm sure that if I leave it like this eventually it will wear a hole in the reservoir. Two options I guess. Either send the part back or hacksaw the end off so it doesn't get in the way. This is an APE MCCT. Has anyone had this problem with the TOC products?

Tomorrow is going to be all about riding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts