Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

It has come to my attention that there's a bill in the FL house that is very bad for motorcycle riders! Anyone in FL that rides a bike should check out this bill, and write to their representatives to let them know that this bill should not pass. Here is the link to it:

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Documents/loaddoc.aspx?FileName=_h0137__.doc&DocumentType=Bill&BillNumber=0137&Session=2008

Please post this to any/all groups, websites, etc. so we can get the word out. Thanks!

·
Old new guy
31 Posts
This is not bad for motorcycle riders, unless the rider is one of those fools who screams up and down the highways like a bat out of Hades, creating extreme hazard for everyone around him/her. These people are a public nuisance and need to be removed from civilized society. This bill does not worry me one iota. Obey the law, ride sensibly, and it should not worry you either. I have absolutely no tolerance for people who endanger others for their own self-indulgent thrill seeking. I welcome this bill. It is unfortunate that such a bill is even necessary.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't get me wrong, I don't endorse speeding over the limit at all either, however, the law not applying to cars and trucks is what bothers me, that and the confiscation part. Also, there are several roads down here that go from 65MPH to 35MPH in a very short distance, with very small signs (US27 comes to mind) and I think that's done specifically as speed traps to generate some money for the small towns. I guess these small towns are going to be able to increase the size of their motorcycle police force if this new law takes effect.

·
Super Moderator
11,826 Posts
Sorry folks, but this law is insane. Any cop can make a judgement call here that you were "driving recklessly" and take away your licence AND your bike.

I'm not saying there should not be fines for speeding , but taking the persons bike is just a bit extreme, especialy if this does not apply to car drivers..You might want to dig up the stats on how many speeding motorcycles caused injury or fatalities to others (not on the bike) and compare that to car drivers...
I urge all Florida riders to fight this law...

KM

·
Registered
140 Posts
i agree with mikes and km, this lawmaker probably has an agenda with crotch rockets,but if he succeeds in this bill, do not think you will be exempt because you ride a 750 cruiser. i have read in many posts of speeding, ran out of go, all of us knowing at what speeds this bike( the 750) runs out of go. so do not think you would be out of the net. also a law like this would , if passed, become a model for other states,( yours)? my thought is we already have laws governing everything that is spoken of, it is a matter of enforcing what they have. i am a believer in the saying( they that governs least, governs best) ride sfe

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
ABATE can help.

ABATE is not just for hard core chopper riders. My brother is an officer in the State of Washington - a Wing and Triumph rider - and he tells me about bills such as this that unfairly target bikers all over the country. Why isn't it all inclusive of all motor vehicles?

Washington Abate stopped a bill that targeted loud bikes - only bikes - on the road and off road. Get involved for your rights -equal rights - and join ABATE here:

http://www.abateflorida.com/

good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
At first I agreed with msswmprt. These crazy rocket riders need to be controlled. Then I actually read the bill and saw the part about "reckless driving". Then I agreed with Knifemaker. Any a-hole cop could cite you for "reckless" driving. Speeding is one thing. That's not really up to judgement. But if a cop wanted to he could cite you with reckless driving if he didn't like the way you switched lanes or cut too close in front of a car. And we all know that not ALL cops exhibit good and fair judgement.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I agree that this bill is unfair. Back in 93 I had an accident in Virginia Beach. I was going 45 mph and had the right of way. Clear sight for over a mile in either direction. Someone pulled out in front of me from a side street and stopped dead in my lane (They were waiting for the cars coming the other direction to clear). I had less than 100 feet to stop. I panic braked and locked up the rear tire and ended up slamming into the side of the car and breaking my wrist. The cop gave me a ticket for reckless driving while I was in the hospital getting checked out. The driver of the car only got a ticket for failure to have insurance. I fought the ticket and everything the cop tried to bring up was thrown out. Still, he made a judgement call and it was wrong. If this bill was in effect I would have been in jeapordy of losing my motorcycle license because the cop didn't like motorcyclists.

·
scooterboy
69 Posts
Hi I tried to access this site from your link and got nothing but a blank screen.Am I doing something wrong. Please advise as I would like to see the text of the bill. Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
MikeS can you keep us posted on the status of this bill. Even as rediculous as this sounds Florida uses this act "Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act" to acquire as much as they can. Does anyone know if Abate of Florida is acting on this allready?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just returned from a meeting with members of our local A.B.A.T.E. (I am a memeber for the Gulf Coast Chapter). The word I got there is that this bill is dead.

Artman, maybe I will see you in Tallahassee this year.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
So I guess this must be the Rep. that was in charge of voting in FL, he or she is in the wrong house, should be in the crazy house with other idiots... I think they should be looking at disrespectful auto drivers they kill more than cycle riders, besides that might be like someone taking your horse and water in the dessert if you are packing...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts