Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Let's make it into a contest.the one with the coolest password gets a free lobster dinner:):):):):):)

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Hello all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management
The date on this is June 14 but I do not remember seeing this before today. Am I getting that mentally blind or is there another explanation. Also all the responses are from today also I doubt there would be no response from the 14th till ten days later. Ole Dirty Doc could not let it go that long. lol

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Believe it or not I saw it the 14th at work but was busy and forgot about it

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Believe it or not I saw it the 14th at work but was busy and forgot about it
I trust your word on it. Just odd that no one had any questions or comments till today. I guess I am getting older and the mind is going quicker than I thought. Just wish I could pick and choose what I don't want to remember or forget.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
I was gonna change my password then but the site kept working with the password of my old dog so I pulled the lazy human act and forgot about it.if it ain't broke,don't break it.;)

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
Well, this morning there is a notification on the top of the page. I read said notification.. what I gather about what was said is:

in Feb 2016, VerticalScope (owners of this site), had a data breach.. June 13 they became aware of data stolen from VerticalScope was being sold online..

NOW, unless I have a total swiss cheese memory, I do NOT recall anyone notifying us about a breach in Feb.. it is possible that VerticalScope itself did not know until June. I dont know.

What *I* want to know is, did VerticalScope know about the breach before June 13. and if so, WHY they didnt tell us members about the breach.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Well, this morning there is a notification on the top of the page. I read said notification.. what I gather about what was said is:

in Feb 2016, VerticalScope (owners of this site), had a data breach.. June 13 they became aware of data stolen from VerticalScope was being sold online..

NOW, unless I have a total swiss cheese memory, I do NOT recall anyone notifying us about a breach in Feb.. it is possible that VerticalScope itself did not know until June. I dont know.

What *I* want to know is, did VerticalScope know about the breach before June 13. and if so, WHY they didnt tell us members about the breach.
You remember well, first I've heard of it.

A lot of us sometimes have personal info in our PM inbox. Back in Feb I got notified by some other websites to change my password because I had entered the incorrect username/password several times, except I had not done that. So someone else was trying.

Time to clear the PMs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nothing like resurrecting an old thread, but I have to do it...

vBulletin has had the "no SSL" problem fixed for some time. The VN750 forum site isn't the only motorcycle forum site affected. When are we gonna get SSL (https://) enabled for logins, at *least*?

Doesn't matter how "spiffy", long, complicated, etc. your password is if you're sending it in the clear :-(. Seriously people, this is 2017, and way past time for encryption-enabled-during-logins to be fixed.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
this won't make me need a new login password?

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It shouldn't but we'll know for sure when that time comes. If it does happen to be the case, re-entering your current password as the new should allow you to keep your current password.

Thanks,
Natalie

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
It shouldn't but we'll know for sure when that time comes. If it does happen to be the case, re-entering your current password as the new should allow you to keep your current password.

Thanks,
Natalie
Sweet because my brain is already close to capacity and one more password might throw it over the edge.and we don't want that

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
HTML:
Let's make it into a contest.the one with the coolest password gets a free lobster dinner:):):):):):)
Great Idea! :smiley_th
Let's all post our passwords to see who has the coolest one!
>:)

Reactions: OleDirtyDoc

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
HTML:
Great Idea! :smiley_th
Let's all post our passwords to see who has the coolest one!
>:)
I have a better idea.let's all take off our pants and take selfless and see who wears the coolest underwear

·
Super Moderator
11,819 Posts
I know I've read at the Vulcan 750 Facebook page that there's members there that said they can't get on this forum anymore because their password doesn't work or because they forgot it.
I had the same issue. I got directed to a "change your password" page, but to do so I had to enter my old one...which I lost.

I never "log off" on my phone .... so if I don't write the password down somewhere, I can't always remember it.

·
Administrator
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can request a password reset email here: Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums - Lost Password Recovery Form

If you are unable to receive the email and are locked out of your account, you can use the Contact Us and we will deal with you directly to get you back up and running.

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums - Contact Us

I didn't see any postings about it on our Facebook page. Is this a Facebook group and if so, would you be able to provide this information to anyone on there who is locked out?

Thanks.
- JB

1 - 20 of 21 Posts