Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I haven't been on in a while, but I haven't rode in a couple of years now. Had heart problems that eventually resulted in my dropping the bike. Luckily not much damage to me or the bike. After lots of tests I learned my heart takes naps for a few seconds once in a while, which lays me out wondering why the floor is in my face. So, got a pacemaker last year and I haven't had any floor in my face since. Bike ran OK after drop, but now won't fire right. Pulled carbs and cleaned, pulled plugs and cleaned, fully charged battery, replaced fuel, etc. Fires good on rear cylinder and sporadically on front. I'm at wits end.
I believed there are a few members here in San Antonio. I'll pay anyone $200 to get it running right again or I'll take a reasonable offer to take it off my hands. Fairly new tires, windshield and lots of spare parts. Most of forum mods applied.
Eventually, heart and wife permitting, I'd like to buy a new Vulcan S. What a beauty.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Check and clean ignition switch, that little ball bearing ball in there gets jarred out of place from a fall and anything can happen. Sorry to hear about your heart issues. Glad you can still ride!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starts with a little coaxing and can even drive, but it's mostly on the rear cylinder. Front cylinder is sporadic.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,299 Posts
How's the spark on front?check plug wires for a break.when front cylinder quits does the tach quit as well?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Doc, I'll check the wire at the coil. The wire to the plug looks good. Perhaps the crash loosen the wire. Tach is fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Being intermittent and limited to the front cylinder I would check the electrical first, both spark plug wires and the coil wires. Although it is possible crap could have came loose and ended up in the carb jet I would look to electronics first. Crap would be consistent (in my experience you can always count on crap). You didn’t say which side hit the ground. You can check the resistance on each spark plug wire and even the spark plugs themselves (Iridium?). Also check the grounds for everything, including the coil(s). As an aside, Harbor Freight sells a nifty little item that goes between the plug and the wire and is clear so you can see how strong the spark is and if it even happens. Also check the pickup wires on the opposite side (a recent post showed the wires actually broken off the pickup). Screws can come loose and “crap” happens. You can check the coil easily by switching the 2. Basically trading one for the other. If the problem switches from the front cylinder to the rear you probably have a bad coil. You should be able to narrow down the problem with little physical effort or $. I’m sorry to hear about your health issues. However I am glad that tech has came up with a solution though. The pacemaker is a great invention.

My bike usually ends up on the ground because of RSP (rider stupid complex). It has taken years but I am still working on my stop and drop technique. Getting older it helps if I can yell loud enough, and am close enough, so my son can help me pick her up. I can do it but I hurt for days after. Spinal fusions don’t actually fix your back, just as a pacemaker does not actually fix your heart. Take care of yourself and ride safe.

Reactions: Paulywog

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All electicals check good. A little gas in intake and it fires up. Pulled carbs and cleaned again. Was missing an o-ring from front carb mixture screw. Will finish putting it together this week and see. But :BLAM: I'm done with this bike either way. Wife :x agreed to a new bike >:) and this one will be gone. Guess I could part it out if no one wants to just haul it away.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Sad end I guess but it is what it is, GL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts