Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Anything can be made to fit with enough effort and innovation. Right now I am working on making custom saddlebag supports for my bags that I bought late last riding season. I used them for one weekend ride but I want to do things better now and the supports are the final hurdle before it all comes together. My bags are 7" deep, 13" tall and 18" long so they are larger than the bags offered on line as the correct fit for the VN 750. I have seen many bags that are labeled as the "correct" bags but they are too small for my needs so I am going this route and I believe my problems will be solved very soon. If you really like those bags and can make a deal (price) that you are happy with I would go with them.

If you have any questions as to how they will look you could take a sheet of cardboard and cut the dimensions out and see where they line up on the bike. Remember that most saddlebag setups require a relocation of the rear turn signals. That can be a diy project or you could buy the brackets on line.

Good luck in your decision.

·
Proud Owner of '99 VN 750
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Will keep this conversation up for other commentary also. I will get the brackets for the signals online once I find the link. As for mounting I'm wondering if the Kawasaki fs mounts would work out. I've never installed saddlebags so this is all new stuff

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
There are many options when it comes to bags. My opinion, you could do better on price.
I understand the "ancy" feeling once you get an idea to do something.
But, myself, I'd keep looking.
With that said, I prefer bags that are hard mounted opposed to throw overs.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I got some cheapos from Leatherup ($69.95 and I think I had a coupon code that saved me even more) that are close to those same dimensions. To be honest, after nearly 2 years without any supports, they've really done pretty well for the price. I just have them resting against the shocks and tied off wherever I could find a spot. A couple of the tie loops came un-sewed from the bags, but I was able to rig them so they still work.

Like Kanuck said, I would hold out for something cheaper...especially for used.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I don't blame him for wanting the hard weatherproof bags, dry socks and underwear mean a lot on a wet trip. :)

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
I don't blame him for wanting the hard weatherproof bags, dry socks and underwear mean a lot on a wet trip. :)
Agreed as far as wanting dry socks and underwear but there are other ways to accomplish the same without going through the expense of hard bags. Dry bags (available at any camping supply along with Wally World) used in kayaks and canoes slid into the new synthetic leather bags is a hard combination to beat. Also it makes for easy carrying of your things without having to remove the entire bag in case a hard mount option is decided on. I have seen some "leather" bags last a long time while being exposed to the full spectrum of weather. A little care and a soft cloth with leather treatment once a month should keep them looking good for many years to come and as mentioned a few posts earlier the price is a big reduction vs. hard bags. There are all kinds of options available when it comes to saddle bags.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
I've been in torrential rains and my leather bags kept everything dry. I had sprayed them with protect-ant so maybe that's why. I wish it was Friday...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts