Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dreamin, seems like that is about all I do anymore durin these winter months, maybe its because I don't have much to do except sit around and imagine my spring & summer rides... Bein retired and at my age you know it's not gonna last forever...lol...
So, I'm thinkin E. Tn., E. Ky. & western Va. & W.Va., the bit more mountainous country with twisties I have'nt rode yet, and also some I have rode... Like ride the Dragon and the Devil's Triangle again, 74 west out of Middlesboro Ky. and on to Tn. 90 to Morley Tn. again, alot of roads come to mind, some I could ride several time before they got old...lol......
I'm just thinkin, at my age if you're gonna, you better be a doin, or you'll be a draggin your cane instead of your pegs...lol...
Also thinkin if y'all have the gatherin at Shawnee again, that would be a good run for me to make, and get to meet you fine folks ...
What are y'all dreamin about these rough winter months...???
Kick in and lets hear about it...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Already made plans for a ride to Myrtle Beach, SC in June this year. Along the way, I hope to hit "the dragon," "moonshiner 28," and then the cherahola (sp?) skyway on the way back. Should be fun and REALLY lookin' forward to it. Anything else along that way I should be checkin' out?

John

·
Registered
659 Posts
We are planning to head down to NW Arkansas and spend a few nights camping and the days riding. All of the roads down there are spectacular.

I would like to get back to Colorado, this time to ride off-highway on the DR400 Dual Sport that I haven't got yet...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John, that sounds like a good plan... I have not rode The Moonshiner 28 but others that have say its great, and it looks to be on the map... I think that Cherohala out of Tellico Plains (Tn. 165 to NC 143) to the Dragon would be a great ride also...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Well, all I can do is dream about such roads... nothing near me like that, except for this big mountain called "La rumorosa" which I wouldn't dare ride on yet lol.

Roads on the U.S. side near me are alright and I would love to ride on them, but my visa just expired on January 25th :( and since I have no steady job right now, I'd just waste my money if I apply for another one.

So right now I suppose I'm hoping for a good, steady job so I can get my visa back and I can fix up my bike well enough that I can take any trip I want on it!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi to all,

Its been a long time since my last post. I am thinking of going abroad to Sicily with my 89`Vulcan 750 this coming mid June. I managed thanks to all information provided in this site to equip my bike with all the goodies such as TOC MCCT`s, Yuasa maintenance free battery, relocated rectifier and soon a volt meter. I have had this bike for 2 years now but only for the weekend blast, and had no real big problems so far. I was using a Vulcan 500 as my daily commuter but it had to go due to finances. Anyway the only thing that scares me is the stator/rectifier failing while I am abroad. Anyway I`ll keep you posted with Photos when I come back :)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
That's really cool! I would make sure to lube the splines before going over there, and maybe buy a spare regulator/rectifier to take with you. As far as the stator goes, if it ends up malfunctioning it will require getting the bike to a shop anyway, so it's your call on whether to take a spare or not... although a spare would make things easier if it were to fail.

All in all, I think the splines are the major thing to consider if you'll be putting on a lot of miles over there :)

Greatest luck with that, I'll look forward to the pictures!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Last year at this time I was waiting on the last Saturday in Febuary. It was the first RC race of the new season. A hobby of mine for 6 years. Then Feb 21st I bought my first motorcycle in 26 years, My brothers VN 750. Still ready to race the new RC Truggy that a had spent $2000 dollars on truggy, race engine, parts and so on, I was starting to kick arss and take names at the races. It got warm enough to enjoy taking the longer rides on the bike in April. Rc truck has been on the shelf sense the first 2hr ride. I never lost the love for a bike ride over the years, just for me the funds for a bike at the time with self employment and kids;; and then when the money got better other hobbies kicked in. Once back on the bike:smiley_th,,, SO READY FOR A GOOD DAY OF RIDING:beerchug:. And now that I've dressed it up so, I hope to spend even more time on it this year. I put 6000 mile on it last year mainly on weekends and only in a 5 county area:doh:

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
260 miles of twisty roads today. Tomorrow is more of the same. Dreaming? I'm living the dream!

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,678 Posts
:rockon:
260 miles of twisty roads today. Tomorrow is more of the same. Dreaming? I'm living the dream!
anyone from CA., you don't count! jjk lol :doh:

good for you! I'm glad SOMEBODY is out riding!:smiley_th

but your right, I am not dreaming, I'm planing! right now I'm working on the next "Iron Maiden Run-to-the-Hills Run"!:rockon:

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And how much did you say you charged for that small sleepin room over your garage ???...lol... More power to you...:smiley_th...:smiley_th...:smiley_th...
Couldn't believe it, at 6 am it was 41* here, at 7:30 it was 34* and still fallin, don't have a clue where that 41* came from, supposed to be better tomorrow, but don't look very good for the rest of the week...

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Hey EQ, would love to see pix of you doing the "Big Sur" hwy...what do you think?...:beerchug:...:pepper:

I think there are a number of "rides" out there that ought to be on everyone's must do "bucket list" if they have a VN750 (or any other worthwhile motorcycle). Among them are:

1) The "Dragon" (of course).

2) The "Snake" (Hwy 421--best part is near "Shady Valley" TN. All of 421 anywhere near there...VA part, too...is very good though).

3) The Florida Keys (during spring & fall only!).

4) The Cherohala Skyway.

5) NC's "Diamondback Loop".

6) The Blue Ridge Parkway.

7) Skyline Drive.

8) The Beartooth Hwy.

9) The "Big Sur" Highway.

10) US Hwy 163 in AZ & UT, especially near sunrise or sunset (this takes you thru Monument Valley--some of the movie "Easy Rider" was shot there).

The above list is not necessarily meant to be totally inclusive. For example, I said nothing about the "Bad Lands" near Sturgis, or anything of the Adirondacks in NY state--but both are also very good riding ideas. The Beartooth Hwy is indeed truly epic--but there's obviously a lot of other fantastic riding to be seen and had out west.

And of course, the other suggestions mentioned above in previous posts are very good ideas, too.

The biggest mistake I have found a biker can make regarding any of the above is to (instead) ride an interstate. The only reason a biker should take an interstate is if he/she is in a real hurry. Otherwise, you cheat yourself out of a lot of local experiences, scenery and neat "finds" by taking the "express" route....:(

Especially on a motorcycle journey, time IS the ultimate luxury....:)

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Hey EQ, would love to see pix of you doing the "Big Sur" hwy...what do you think?...:beerchug:...:pepper:
Here you go!

Want even MORE fun? Naciemento-Ferguson road, Santa Rosa Creek road. Both are off of Highway 1 (Big Sur). Both are (insert many fabulous adjectives here).

Now excuse me, time to gear up for a ride. Forecast for today is typical early February weather: Low 70's, blue sky. Going to check out some twisties north of San Francisco. See you on the road!

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,678 Posts
Here you go!

Want even MORE fun? Naciemento-Ferguson road, Santa Rosa Creek road. Both are off of Highway 1 (Big Sur). Both are (insert many fabulous adjectives here).

Now excuse me, time to gear up for a ride. Forecast for today is typical early February weather: Low 70's, blue sky. Going to check out some twisties north of San Francisco. See you on the road!
that pic is just beautiful! :wow:

now if you go out today for a ride, don't came back unless you've got pic's! lol :smiley_th

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,678 Posts

I think there are a number of "rides" out there that ought to be on everyone's must do "bucket list" if they have a VN750 (or any other worthwhile motorcycle). Among them are:

1) The "Dragon" (of course).

2) The "Snake" (Hwy 421--best part is near "Shady Valley" TN. All of 421 anywhere near there...VA part, too...is very good though).

3) The Florida Keys (during spring & fall only!).

4) The Cherohala Skyway.

5) NC's "Diamondback Loop".

6) The Blue Ridge Parkway.

7) Skyline Drive.

8) The Beartooth Hwy.

9) The "Big Sur" Highway.

10) US Hwy 163 in AZ & UT, especially near sunrise or sunset (this takes you thru Monument Valley--some of the movie "Easy Rider" was shot there).

The above list is not necessarily meant to be totally inclusive. For example, I said nothing about the "Bad Lands" near Sturgis, or anything of the Adirondacks in NY state--but both are also very good riding ideas. The Beartooth Hwy is indeed truly epic--but there's obviously a lot of other fantastic riding to be seen and had out west.

And of course, the other suggestions mentioned above in previous posts are very good ideas, too.

The biggest mistake I have found a biker can make regarding any of the above is to (instead) ride an interstate. The only reason a biker should take an interstate is if he/she is in a real hurry. Otherwise, you cheat yourself out of a lot of local experiences, scenery and neat "finds" by taking the "express" route....:(

Especially on a motorcycle journey, time IS the ultimate luxury....:)
you forgot one........Hocking Hills (spring or fall) Poker Run! lol

you know, I think you are on to something, a motorcyle ride "bucket list"! some of the 10 you have listed here I have heard of and some I haven't. this give me something to look into. is there any more? if so, keep them coming and I will start listing them, so I can start planing on crossing them off my list! what fun!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Years past I would always do Daytona Bike Week in March and Sturgis in August. I just couldn't get away last year do to work. In fact the only trip away from Chicago in 2010 was the weekend before Labor Day when I rode up to Milwaukee (Iron Horse Hotel and the HD Museum), across Wisconsin to LaCrosse, down the Great River Road to DuBuque, IA (Field of Dreams in Dyersville), on down to Savanna, IL (Poopy's) and back home in three days. I even rode through Dixon , IL on the way home knowing our infamous Pick was probably on his way back from The Gathering and was going to bed his wife and drink his beer. Alas, I had no idea where his house was!
Right now, I am trying to swing Arizona Bike Week in early April to ride thru the desert, mountains and of course, touch Indians. Then either during the Sturgis Rally or some other time during the Summer, back up to The Black Hills with the incredible roads like Needles Highway, Iron Mountain Road, Spearfish Canyon and like mentioned, The Badlands near Wall, S.D..........
Here's to a better 2011...............

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Still more "epic" or "bucket list" rides you ask, Ruger?....:)

Well, one other that is truly a one-of-a-kind "ride" that frankly I'd like to see more of.....

for details, Google or look up "Amtrak Auto Train".

I don't think a lot of the biking world is yet aware of the fact that you can load your motorcycle onto a passenger train in the NE, and have a really cool train ride down to the sunny deep south. Then do Daytona's "Bike Week" (which really, every serious biker should do at least once). Or do something else (like the FL Keys). Or both. Hey, whatever.

Personally, I think it would be really neat if Amtrak somehow had the funding to offer this "Auto Train" service in other parts of the country, as well...:smiley_th

As a bonus, the train ride is usually otherwise cheaper than the trip itself (as of this writing, anyway)....if you made the same distance by car.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
We are getting ready for the "Friday the 13th" ride to Port Dover. This year it is in May. Perhaps Americade in June???

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
I don't have any plans to go any particular place this summer. All I know is that I can't stop thinking about riding my scoot. I can't wait. It is affecting my levels of concentration. I think that riding is an addiction fueled by the pleasure of endorfins to the brain. It's feels just like an addiction.

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
... a motorcyle ride "bucket list"! !

OK. this is on my list and is in the plans to get to in the next 3-4 years:

http://www.edelweissbike.com/en/allTours/true/cont/eur/the-ultimate-alps-tour.html

There is also a good chance we may just rent a bike and do it freestyle on our own. Definitely want to do Italy ...may sidetrack it to Spain. Or...may just do one of the other tours from with the same group above... they have many packages:
http://www.edelweissbike.com/en/cont/def/motorcycle-tours.html#eur

KM

1 - 20 of 20 Posts