Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Description

This Listing is for a Brand New pair of Fork Oil Seals & Fork Dust Seals for the following models:

Model/ Year(s): Kawasaki VN750 A Vulcan all models from 1984 to 2002

We will NOT be beaten on price or Service. Guaranteed! (if you see the same item cheaper we will beat it).

* Japanese Quality Natural Rubber Seals (not cheap silicone ones)
* Vacuum sealed for best quality (wont dry out like loose/boxed seals).
* Complete Kit includes 2x Fork Oil Seals & 2 x Fork Dust Wiper Seals
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My fork dust seals are cracked to the point that they have to be replaced before riding the bike again. The oil seals have not given any indication of leaking that I have seen. I was just looking through the link to ebay, and found the ad above which looks like a good deal for a set of both oil seals and dust seals for $19.99. This seems strange because the same vendor is selling the sets separately for the same price of $19.99 each. He is only charging a $5 flat rate for international shipping as well.

So I have a few questions to ask.
1. - Are rubber seals better than silicone as indicated in the ad? The brand on the vacuum packed cardboard is "Pyramid."

2. - Has anyone dealt with the vendor - "motorcycle express", or Pyramid Parts Worldwide? Any feedback to offer?

I am going to phone the local Kawi dealer for prices tomorrow to compare prices, but this seems like a good deal with both oil and dust seals for the price of one.
I saw another set of dust seals for $12 and change, but the shipping was $12.95, so the delivered price was a bit higher.

So is this a good deal, or too good to be true?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well the stealership wants $13.18 each for the dust seals and $18.38 apiece for the oil seals. Total is $63.12 + 3.15 tax =$66.27.
I guess I will take a chance on ebay, for a saving of about $40 on the 4 seals.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Well the stealership wants $13.18 each for the dust seals and $18.38 apiece for the oil seals. Total is $63.12 + 3.15 tax =$66.27.
I guess I will take a chance on ebay, for a saving of about $40 on the 4 seals.
The Pyramid seals are rubber made by NOK and are the same one KAW uses, I have them on mine and three other VN750's I fixed. :beerchug:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-VN750-Vulcan-84-02-Fork-Seals-Dust-Seal-Set-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53dfb90b39QQitemZ360235731769QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
i bought the ebay set should be here any day now. we will see how it goes

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the one on Ebay too, and they should be here any day now.

In answer to my own question in the first post about why rubber dust seals are better than silicone, I Googled and found this:

SILICONE ( VMQ )

Trade names:
Dow Corning - Silastic®, GE Silicones - Silopren® and Silplus®, Wacker - Elastosil®

Temp. Range:
-65°C to +232°C
-85°F to +450°F

Description:
Silicone elastmers possess a wide temperature range. Their major problem is the relatively poor tensile strength and tear resistance which in turn makes them susceptible to wear and also more prone to damage on assembly.

* Excellent resistance to oxidation and ozone degradation
* Most commonly used in static applications
* Popular for food and medical applications

Suitable with:
Mineral oils, vegetable oils, brake fluids, water, ozone, ageing, weather

Not suitable with:
Aromatic hydrocarbons and solvents, water and steam (>120ºC), acids, alkalis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So it appears they are not as strong, and are susceptible to tearing, wear and damage when assembling. They work best in static (not moving) applications, not where they are subject to the fork tube sliding back and forth through it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts