Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Was gifted a set of 14 inch ape hangers. Having a bit of trouble finding cable kits to fit. Does anyone have any leads to where I may find or if there are kits from harley that will fit?

most kits I see are for harley, and or claims that won't fit vulcan bike.

Thanks Ant

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
probably will have to have custom cables made.I think Pro Motion makes longer custom cables

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Remember, our stock bars are 7/8" diameter. The HD bars may be 1".

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
7/8 bars I have its the cables I was wondering about - the specific details within the cables and those little hook up tabs that fit the linkage areas.

After from what I see and am being told I may not be able to do this without extensive cost and such

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
7/8 bars I have its the cables I was wondering about - the specific details within the cables and those little hook up tabs that fit the linkage areas.

After from what I see and am being told I may not be able to do this without extensive cost and such
My understanding with the 4 cables you need it would be a $200 project or so via MotionPro. Not cheap =/ Doable though, just ask for VN750 throttle/clutch/choke cables + X inches.

·
Registered
101 Posts
How tall can you go with the handlebars and keep the stock cables? I was looking at some 12" apes, but would definitely go down to 10" if that meant I didn't have to do new cables!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
I had 10" z-bars on mine

·
Super Moderator
11,825 Posts
From my understanding 12" apes you'll need new cables or have to find a clever way to reroute the stock ones. The clutch cable being the major problem and the wires for the electrics. A 10" bar would be a lot easier. (Amazing how just those few inches matter)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had 10" z-bars on mine
Good data point. Did the cables follow the bars? As in I might get away with 12" apes since its more of a straight shot up to the controls?

From my understanding 12" apes you'll need new cables or have to find a clever way to reroute the stock ones. The clutch cable being the major problem and the wires for the electrics. A 10" bar would be a lot easier. (Amazing how just those few inches matter)
Thanks, Knifemaker. I'd much rather not have to do this by trial and error if I can avoid it ;) Is that personal experience talking or best guess (albeit a well qualified one!)?

·
Registered
101 Posts
So I was tinkering with my handlebars last night, and I found them to have a rise around 10". Unless I'm totally measuring wrong? I've got lots of slack in the cables currently (especially after rotating the bars to be more upright). Am I missing something?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
measure from mounting point to highest point on the bars.that's your height.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Time I weigh in on this as I have 16" on my bike and had 12" before. With the 16" (and I assume 14") I had to order all new cables from Motion-Pro, the electrical was able to be spliced. The 12" bars I started my mod with, I only had to order a new brake line from Motion-Pro. These guys are great as they dealt with me so much about 12 years ago they still have all of the specs for our Vulcans....

Good Luck!
Stevie D.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't tried yet to install. The quote i got was a zip code, that's not gonna happen. current bars are upright now and I lessened the pull back a few inches with heat bends. I will look into motion pro about the lines, and maybe add that to the re designing of the winter project.

Thanks guys

1 - 16 of 16 Posts