1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
SteveD has a set, I think ther is a pict in the gallery

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Chad is correct, I am actually on my second set of Ape Hangers. The first set were 12 incher's I purchased from Flanders and I was able to re-route all of the cables to fit, except for the Brake line which I had to replace. The set I have on now are 16 incher's I found on E-Bay for around $30.00. I had to order all new cables from "Motion-Pro" for around $120.00 this time around but they are braided and coated. I am 6' 2" and the 16 inchers have my arms straight out with my elbows locked which is a very comfortable riding postion for me. By the way, our stock bars are 8 inches.....

Stevie D.
Chicago

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was thinking about getting some.....The 12inch ones wouldn't be to bad either...seems like a good height...I'll look around on ebay...

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Steve.....the 12 inchers will probably be what I get......so no problems with the old cables etc huh. That makes it all the more easy

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I was able to re-route all the lines and cable with the exception of the Brake Line which I replaced with a longer braided one. I can't recall which vendor I ordered it from but Motion-Pro has a large selection. Here is a picture of the bike when I had the 12 inch Flanders on.......
bike week_0010.jpg

Stevie D.
Chicago

·
Registered
87 Posts
How much work is involved to run the wires and such through the bars? I really like that look and would love to do something like that. Anyone ever do that?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
How much work is involved to run the wires and such through the bars? I really like that look and would love to do something like that. Anyone ever do that?
One place I'd see troubles with doing that (with stock bars) is that when you drill the bars, you also weaken them.
If you could find bars made for doing that, it'd probably be better (IMO)
But then again, alot of the bikes that do run the wires through the bars don't have nearly as many wires as what we've got, so it could be a tight fit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
What about getting a bigger bar? What does that involve? Curiosity is killing the cat...I really would like to get 16' apes. I like them and they fit me perfectly too..

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
What about getting a bigger bar? What does that involve? Curiosity is killing the cat...I really would like to get 16' apes. I like them and they fit me perfectly too..
For that you'd need some kind of adaptor so the handlebar clamp could hold it. There's very little chance (even with modifying) that a 7/8inch clamp will hold a 1inch bar. The bolts are too close together.
I believe there are some (atleast one) that has ape hangers here. Don't think it's with concealed wires though.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
16' Apes

Dude, you must have REALLY long arms...

-PABlo
Wow, I missed that.
Ya definately may run into some legal issues with them !! LOL

·
Registered
59 Posts
A buddy of mine has 16's on his vstar 1100. had to drill and route the wiring himself and managed to shove 11 wires on the left side through a 3/8" hole, tight fit, but it worked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts