16,076 Posts
I think Mercury has one.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I had a tire that I had balanced two or three times and no one ,including me, could get it right. I had read a bunch on the Dyna beads , and i am here to tell you even without the weights they work and work well. I haven't tried the Ride on sealant so I can't speak to that.

I have that same tire changer and haven't bolted it down yet but it has to be easier than c-clamps and tire irons, I'll let you know next week as I have two to change out both on Hondas, one tube type and one tubeless

·
Registered
856 Posts
I use that tire changer and it works pretty good for me

To make it REALLY shine though I would HIGHLY recommend some upgrades.

I would get the Mojo Lever and Mojo Blocks
Lever: http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm
Blocks: http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm

The Blocks insert into the tire/rim clams and allow a much more secure clamping down of the wheel with no marring if the wheel shifts at all (which it will)
Without the blocks, the tire will have a tendency to pop UP out of the clamps. The blocks hold the wheel down. Though you will still need to use a tie down strap to keep the wheel from spinning.

The lever is WONDERFUL. Allows you to pull the old tire off and pop the new one on in under 5 minutes. It has no mar tips on it, and it infinitely better then the lever that comes with the tire changer.

The lever also allows you to do the removal and install with no tire spoons.

Video of some guy using the HF setup with the MoJo add ons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuH5BzAR4a4

another video of a guy using the Mojo lever on a car tire: (note, the Mojo lever instruction say not to do this)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGzrJSTSoXk

As for balancing..o each their own for that. I've been using Ride-On only with no weights for a few years now and in my opinion, its give a much better balance then weights can.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Also,

If you can bolt the tire changer directly to a concrete floor, it will make things so much easier.

Otherwise, the stand wants to wobble all over the place when attempting to remove install the tire.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Never had a problem getting any tire off the wheel and have used the HF changer to mount new tires on VN750s and KLR. But, had no luck mounting bigger tires. I was able to mount Metzelers on my 750 but could not get Metzelers mounted on the Nomad rear and ended up having the HD dealer down the road mount 'em. Just seemed like I was gonna tear/damage the tire??. I bolted the changer to a hefty pallet which worked out OK for me.

·
Super Moderator
11,825 Posts
The reason I suggest balancing with weights THEN using Ride On ...is because It's a liquid. If the tires balance is off, the majority of the liquid will flow to only one side of the tire....meaning if you pick up a nail on the other side you're not getting the full benefit of the sealant.

If you balance using weights and at least get it real close, the sealant will distribute more evenly in the tire.

·
Registered
856 Posts
The reason I suggest balancing with weights THEN using Ride On ...is because It's a liquid. If the tires balance is off, the majority of the liquid will flow to only one side of the tire....meaning if you pick up a nail on the other side you're not getting the full benefit of the sealant.

If you balance using weights and at least get it real close, the sealant will distribute more evenly in the tire.

Well that makes a lot of sense. Honestly hadn't thought about that.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Never had a problem getting any tire off the wheel and have used the HF changer to mount new tires on VN750s and KLR. But, had no luck mounting bigger tires. I was able to mount Metzelers on my 750 but could not get Metzelers mounted on the Nomad rear and ended up having the HD dealer down the road mount 'em. Just seemed like I was gonna tear/damage the tire??. I bolted the changer to a hefty pallet which worked out OK for me.
I've run into an issue once like that where the tire didn't want to go on. Then I realized the bead at 180 degrees to the position I was tying to mount was almost seating itself while trying to lever the opposite side onto the rim.

I pushed the bead down into the center of the rim and then the the rest of the tire popped on nice and smooth.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Jury still out on the ceramic bead balancing for me. Did the front tire 3 weeks and 260 miles ago. On back roads with the less than perfect pavement if seems to be just a small vibration in the bars. On the highway if feels about the same as before, smooth. Keep in mind though at my tire only had 1- 1/4 oz weight to start with and it calls for 2 oz of beads to be added.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses guys! I'm excited to try this out... I have four tires to mount... 2 on the Vulcan, and two on my girlfriend's Honda VLX 600... those are tube tires with spoke rims... Is there anything I need to know about mounting the tube type tires? I'm fairly certain I can do the Vulcan ones no problem, but a little iffy on the tube ones...

I got some Readhead concrete sleeves with bolts to mount to the garage floor... and that'll allow me to unbolt it when I need the space back, without leaving a bolt sticking up... Hopefully it'll be more stable like that...

I've heard soap and water is all I need for bead lube, is that right?

Thanks!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

I agree with km. I replaced my front tire with a 110/90-19 at the beginning of the 2013 riding season.
I balanced it by sticking the axle through the hub and resting the axle ends on a pair of small jack stands.
KAL Tire, where I buy my cage tires, just gave me half a dozen 1/4 oz stick-on steel weights for free.

I used only 2 or 3 of them and the tire seemed pretty well balanced as it quit stopping in the same place.
As a check I did 4 static tests with the air valve placed at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock then released, imparting no movement. It did not rotate at all.

Final test was perhaps a dozen slow spins with the wheel stopping rotation in random places. I was now satisfied it was balanced. I rode it about 300 miles, including about 40 miles at 90 mph on a newly repaved rural secondary road that was basicly deserted that day, and felt absolutely no vibration from the front end.

I then did add a bottle of RIDE ON for the puncture sealing protection more than needing any better balancing. :):motorcycl

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Jury still out on the ceramic bead balancing for me. Did the front tire 3 weeks and 260 miles ago. On back roads with the less than perfect pavement if seems to be just a small vibration in the bars. On the highway if feels about the same as before, smooth. Keep in mind though at my tire only had 1- 1/4 oz weight to start with and it calls for 2 oz of beads to be added.
I asked around on the VROC and the consensus was that the front and rear needs about 3 oz. of beads to be good to go so I went that rte. and run no wheel weights at all.

It seems that chart is a little light on the recommended amount of beads, especially if you have a tire that is a little bothersome to balance.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys! I'm excited to try this out... I have four tires to mount... 2 on the Vulcan, and two on my girlfriend's Honda VLX 600... those are tube tires with spoke rims... Is there anything I need to know about mounting the tube type tires? I'm fairly certain I can do the Vulcan ones no problem, but a little iffy on the tube ones...

I got some Readhead concrete sleeves with bolts to mount to the garage floor... and that'll allow me to unbolt it when I need the space back, without leaving a bolt sticking up... Hopefully it'll be more stable like that...

I've heard soap and water is all I need for bead lube, is that right?

Thanks!
Yup, all I use is a little squirt of dish soap in a spray bottle of water.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I mounted the first tire last night!

It was a lot harder than I thought, but probably since it was my first one... getting the old tire off was a breeze, and getting the first half of the new one on was easy too... getting the final side of the new tire on the rim was a bear!

Things I learned...

1. The bar that comes with the Harbor Freight Tire Changer is crap. Period!
2. Having some tire irons handy is really helpful!
3. Whoever designed the harbor freight tire changer never had to use it
4. Must use a strap to keep the rim from rotating
5. Using starter fluid and a lighter to set the bead doesn't always work :)

I don't have an air compressor, so I guess I'll have to run by the local tire shop to have them set the new bead for me... maybe they'll throw in a few balancing weights too...

I'm gonna try the back tire next... hopefully it'll be a little easier!

·
Registered
856 Posts
The front tire on the Vulcan can be a challenge mostly due to how narrow it is. The wider back tire is a lot easier. (the tire is able to flex more due to the large surface area -or something like that)

Yes, the bar that came with the HF changer is very craptastic. I only use it as a lever for the bead breaker at this point.

I've never had luck with the starter fluid trick myself. Perhaps I'm just doing it wrong??

In Lue of taking it to a tire shop to seat the bead, you might be able to get away with taking it to a gas station with an air pump.

Several of the stations around here have pumps with a "fast/flat" mode where it pumps the air in a lot faster then normal to quickly inflate a car tire from flat.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
They've changed the chemical makeup of ether to make it more environmentally friendly and less flammable for your protection;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^ I guess so! It caught on fire, but didn't "explode"... I even pumped air in with it, but it just lit on fire without exploding...

Maybe if I tried propane or butane? hmmm... :)

I wanna figure out how to seat the bead myself, in case I ever have to do it on the road...

I tried the gas station compressor... didn't work at all, even when compressing the tire to push the sidewalls against the rim...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts