·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
I think I'm switching from IRC 150-15 to this Shinko 170-15

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/401/6188/ITEM/Shinko-230-Tour-Master-Rear-Tire.aspx

Also, anyone SNiPE their tires (slices in the tread to provide better grip)? Dirt trackers used to do it before trackmaster tires were on the market, and some tire shops in town will do it for extra $$$ when buying auto tires, but do any street bikers do it?

DT
Most tires today are designed with state of the art computer programs that can factor in road type, rain, sand, etc...so tread patterns are pretty much the best one can hope for as they come from the factory...so cutting the tread and not knowing what you are doing or effecting is not really done anymore.

Keeping that in mind, the only complaint I have heard about the Shinko tire you have pictured is that wavy center groove they have seems to wear oddly and tends to follow rain grooves or edges in the road. The compond also seems not to like "road snakes" (those lines of tar they use to seal cracks)
Otherwise likely a good tire (for the money) Not however , heard anything good about their front tires, so I'd go with a Dunlop or Bridgestone there.

KM

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
So far, No complaints. I've got it on my front & rear. (different models but both shinko) I haven't put a bunch of miles on them yet But, HWSpeeds i'm happy with the "feel". Deffinetly a dollar for mile tire.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Keeping that in mind, the only complaint I have heard about the Shinko tire you have pictured is that wavy center groove they have seems to wear oddly and tends to follow rain grooves or edges in the road. The compond also seems not to like "road snakes" (those lines of tar they use to seal cracks)
Otherwise likely a good tire (for the money) Not however , heard anything good about their front tires, so I'd go with a Dunlop or Bridgestone there.

KM
From what you say here, they pretty much suck.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
From what you say here, they pretty much suck.
"Suck" may be a bit harsh, but sometimes you get what you pay for. For less than 90 bucks a tire, they are a alternative for those on a budget, and you have to examine the type of riding you do. If you are a full bore , sparks a-fly'n corner killer, they may not be the best choice, if you live in Kansass, where the sharpest curve is still pretty much a straight line , they may work out fine.
My take has always been that the only thing that makes your bike work as intended is the connection between it and the road. Higher priced tires have alot more technology in their make up and for the most part, how well they work in the rain, and how well they stick you to the pavement, and how many miles you can get out of them are always factors to consider.
One also tends to learn the limits of their tires and rides accordingly. I wish all tires exeeded my needs, but it always boils down to a comprimise between long life and good traction.

Many folks think they are already riding to the "limit" but are really only riding to the limit of their tires. The Vulcan is not a race bike, and not really able to "push the envelope" as a well fitted sport bike can, so there is some leaway as to what tires "work" with the bike.

KM

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well, you're the one that described how bad the Shinko's handled curtain road conditions and how they wear. They sound just like my old Dunlops, which sucked.
As you stated, our bikes are not race bikes, but you want to feel safe and enjoy riding, not leery of every little crack, line, tar snake or bridge we come across.
I went with the lowest cost tire out there, the Kenda Kruz K673's. From what I've observed so far, they are more than a match for our bikes performance wise and they show none of the bad characteristics of the tires mentioned.
As for engineering and how well a tire is made. The Kenda's balanced out, with no wheel weights front or rear, that could not be said for the tires they replaced.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked out the Kenda brand too but my local shop doesn't import them. They will mount and balance the Shinko for $12 if I buy it from them.

DT

·
Registered
311 Posts
What do they charge to mount and balance a tire not bought from them? The reason I ask, the add you posted has the Shinko 170/80-15 is $90. The Kenda Kruz 170/80-15 is $60+ maybe $10 shipping.
I couldn't find anything about the Shinko, other than what was posted here.
I don't know, give the Shinko a try, it may or may not work for you. I and others who have tried the Kenda's know they work, work very well.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I had the Shinko Advance 005's (120F/200R) on my Meanie and got 10,000 miles out of them. They were good tires from a quality aspect, rode well, and handled well.

Went with Avon Storms now (130F/180R), wonderful tires.

Jon

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
No. My bike came with that size on it. There's room, not much, but there's room. You can't pull the rear wheel without pulling the drive unit also/first. I don't know if that's the case with the stock size.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I use 170/80-15 not 170/90-15. This gives you the wider profile without significantly increasing the diameter of the tire. Stock sidewall height is 135, the 170/80 sidewall height is 136. The 170/90 sidewall height is 153. I can take the rear tire off without removing the final drive, as long as I deflate the tire first.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Yeah, well I have one of those limit production racing Vulcan's with the narrow swing arm. They narrow it at the factory over what all you other folks have so that when a silly fat tire is put in, all the space is taken up, which keeps turbulence from occurring in there, which of course allows my bike to go really, really, really fast. That's how come my wheel won't come out with the drive unit in the way.

Then there was this one time, at band camp....

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Yeah, well I have one of those limit production racing Vulcan's with the narrow swing arm. They narrow it at the factory over what all you other folks have so that when a silly fat tire is put in, all the space is taken up, which keeps turbulence from occurring in there, which of course allows my bike to go really, really, really fast. That's how come my wheel won't come out with the drive unit in the way.

Then there was this one time, at band camp....
LOL! Hey are you running 170/90 or 170/80? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Not sure off the top of my head, I'd have to go look, and I'll do that and post back a little later...I'm too comfy, (and lazy) right now to get up and out of the AC. ;)

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I know what you mean!!!! :beerchug:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts