Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw these recommended on another forum, dude said they worked fine. Anyone here use them?

They're cheap enough, and even on sale now, $3.25 for two. Beats $16 each at the auto store.

Thought I'd check here and share the link, I guess the 3 bucks isn't too much to gamble. Want to use these in the tail light, and get an LED for the license plate too. Any suggestions on the plate light? http://www.dx.com/p/115750-13wn-1157-2-3w-250lm-13-smd-5050-led-warm-white-light-car-lamps-dc-12v-2-pcs-201513#.VQXMeuGwjfq

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Saw these recommended on another forum, dude said they worked fine. Anyone here use them?

They're cheap enough, and even on sale now, $3.25 for two. Beats $16 each at the auto store.

Thought I'd check here and share the link, I guess the 3 bucks isn't too much to gamble. Want to use these in the tail light, and get an LED for the license plate too. Any suggestions on the plate light? http://www.dx.com/p/115750-13wn-1157-2-3w-250lm-13-smd-5050-led-warm-white-light-car-lamps-dc-12v-2-pcs-201513#.VQXMeuGwjfq
I agree with your comments here. KC2DGQ is the one that usually has the best knowledge on LED lights as he makes his own custom boards. I hope he has a chance to reply here as I respect his opinion on such things. How about it Anthony?

·
Registered
856 Posts
I've got a set of theses in my rear turn signals:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/s-series-bulbs/1157-led-bulb-dual-intensity-45-smd-led-tower-/814/
They are pretty bright, though the ones I have a red LEDs to match the lens.

if one is to believe the specifications on both bulbs, the ones you listed are ever so slightly brighter, and for a much better price.

My concern with the price would be quality of the build. They may not hold up to vibrations as well as the "higher quality" ones, and therefore be more prone to failure.

Or... you may be pleasantly surprised and they outlast the bike. For the cost, I would be more then willing to try them out if I didn't already have my setup.

EDIT:
They should work pretty good in your front turns and tail light.

For the place bulb, I did a quick search for 1156 LED and saw this:
http://www.dx.com/p/1156-ba15s-p21w-3w-200lm-22-x-smd-1206-led-yellow-car-tail-light-steering-lamp-12v-272832#.VQZqqo5WVAM

I would think this would work well enough.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
U
I agree with your comments here. KC2DGQ is the one that usually has the best knowledge on LED lights as he makes his own custom boards. I hope he has a chance to reply here as I respect his opinion on such things. How about it Anthony?
Yup I'd check out Anthony (his led's.I personally wouldn't check out Anthony. He's a nice guy and all but he's got an outtie and I like innies and I think his wife wouldn't be very happy;) ).but all joking aside Anthony does some sweet work.His boards fit inside the stock blinkers.I'm sure he could also make boards for other blinkers if he had the dimensions

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

NDR saved me from looking for the bulb number on the plate light. One click over I found a white bulb for that: http://www.dx.com/p/1156-ba15s-p21w-3w-200lm-22-smd-1206-led-white-car-tail-light-steering-lamp-12v-308018#.VQbyQ-Gwjfo State inspection is a PITA here, so I better stick with white.

They are most definitely cheap, less than a Sonic hotdog. Seemed like the post I saw said he was running those for more than a year, but I can't find the post now. Think I'll just try them and report back. Not sure the ones at the auto store would fit side by side, too fat.

I was ready to get a set of KC's LEDs, then I got saddlebags and put cateye lights on the license plate. Been thinking of asking KC if he can shape the boards to fit. KC?

Those cateyes have running/turn lights but use a much smaller bulb than the 1157, have no idea what bulb number they are. I could always solder in a socket or solder right onto the bulb.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The slow boat from Chiner finally landed at Long Beach. I was relieved to see these bulbs aren't made with graham crackers for circuit boards.

The tail bulbs may not be quite as bright as the stock ones, but the brake is definitely bright enough. License plate bulb looks brighter and was blinding me while putting it in.

I did take pics but the first pic was before dark, might try some later after the weather warms up.

A couple of things while installing ...

First, when I put one tail light LED in the socket, it didn't light up. When I pulled the other stock bulb out of it's socket, the LED lit up. Both LED bulbs worked fine after that. Can't explain it.

Second, had some trouble getting the license light into the socket. With no bulb and just a flat circuit board, there's not much to twist with. Thought it wasn't going in deep enough and I even sanded some of the contact down. Finally tried not going so deep and trying to twist as I pushed in a little at a time. It was hard to twist, but went right in then. Was already thinking of how to modify the socket! Sturdy little bulb, peeled skin off my thumb!

Worth the $5 so far for three LED bulbs and I do see the power savings on the voltmeter. Have to wait and see how long they last, but I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey - how are the lights working out? I need a new license plate light and wonder if the ones you got would work. I didn't understand from the post if you have the stock light sockets or had upgraded to different ones?

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for asking, I was going to update this post and forgot to.

Using the factory light sockets. Only thing changed was the bulbs.

The license plate light is fine, plenty bright enough at night, the only time you need it. The problem I had with installing it was from pushing the bulb in too far. Eased up on the bulb and it went in just fine.

Still using the tail/brake lights too, but now I'm thinking they are just not quite bright enough. My riding buddies all thought they were bright enough at first, but now they're also saying they might not be bright enough. Shame on that dude in another forum that told me they were really, really bright.

Haven't had any problems, but I'm probably going to spring for the better tail bulbs, like from Superbrightleds.com or one of the local auto parts stores.

Definitely got an increase on the charging volts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts