Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over Christmas break 2020, I spent some awesome quality time with the bike (first picture). I gave it a top to bottom cleaning and waxing. I changed the brake fluid oil, engine oil, and coolant. I also changed the final drive oil. I checked and lubed the spline shaft (following the famous Fergie guide here on this forum). I also lubed up the "hub" of the wheel (second picture) with Moly. Fast forward to some warmer weather riding months and I'm getting some leakage on my rim after almost every ride (third and fourth pictures). Did I simply put too much Moly? Has anyone else seen or experienced this before?

I saw minimal if any of this "leakage" during the colder months in March and April. So I'm hoping that all this is is the excess Moly being shot out from the hub due to the warmer weather + centrifugal force of the tire spinning.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, too much lube on the hub.

Options are to keep cleaning it off and wait for it to stop, or take the wheel off and redo it with a light touch of lube.
Haha, I tend to do things like this. Too much glue. Too much oil. Too much lube. I'll learn eventually...maybe.

Alright, it's just good knowing there's nothing wrong here. I'll keep cleaning it up and eventually it'll stop. I'll keep this in mind for the next time I lube the splite/hub/etc. (probably the next time I get a new rear tire).

Thank you.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Haha, I tend to do things like this. Too much glue. Too much oil. Too much lube. I'll learn eventually...maybe.

Alright, it's just good knowing there's nothing wrong here. I'll keep cleaning it up and eventually it'll stop. I'll keep this in mind for the next time I lube the splite/hub/etc. (probably the next time I get a new rear tire).

Thank you.
Haha ... You're welcome. Hard to say how long it will take to clear up.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,334 Posts
I do it every time

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yea so in all honesty, molly is technically not formulated to go in "open housing units.. Molly is a very high heat form of grease but its not that sticky and the consistency is not thick enough to stay inside your wheel hub while the wheel is spinning 4, 5, 6, rpm... ive done the samething, we all have.. to avoid this prob. Nxt time just go with so basic cheap ol grease and leave the molly to " closed units with couplings and gaskets to seal the molly inside.... i.e your splines and or U-joints

1 - 8 of 8 Posts