Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Kawika
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While, I'm not going to be in for the rally...I'm renting a Harley to do some riding near the National parks during the family vacation a couple weeks earlier. Any organized rides one of these days? :beerchug:

·
Kawika
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ride Update

Hit Mount Rushmore and Custer Parks today....Started out sunny and clear, but about an hour into the ride from Rapid City (rental) I got on Iron Mountain Road and it started pouring buckets (to say the least) out of nowhere. Threw on the supplied rain gear and tried to keep it going but ended up stopping by a bunch of riders huddling under the first tunnel....cleared up after 25 mins or so and hit it again....got to the Norbeck Overlook and it was a cool view of the monument after the rain, but then it started hailing and buckets of water ensued. After about 45 mins with people huddling under the little roof for the map, the rain stopped again and the weather turned out beautiful and enjoyed the most scenic cycle ride of my life. (even soaked!) Came back up through the needles highway and got a beer in Hill City....can't wait for tomorrow's ride. I'm hoping to make it to Bear Butte , back through Sturgis on the way to Deadwood.
:cool:

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I have always said that Iron Mountain Road and Needles Highway are so incredible to ride on, it's as if the Disney Imagineers designed them for Motorcycles. While you are up there, I also like the ride between Sturgis and Deadwood, and if you have time, The Badlands, especially early in the morning or in the evening is awe inspiring. I know it's about 60 miles from Rapid City, but it's a great ride there and back. There should be some guides out already for the upcoming rally that have maps with great circle rides. Have fun Dave!!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
:smiley_th All of the above, and don't miss the Crazy Horse monument if you have time.

·
Kawika
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, had a great time. The rental place had nice maps of the area for riding. I hit some more rain, but got out to Deadwood ****'s and The Knuckle in Sturgis. I had to ditch the ride to Bear Butte, the weather was looking even worse in that direction. I don't think I've done that much riding in the rain since I had a kdx400 15 or so years ago. :smiley_th
Did the Badlands loop in the cage, did some hiking, but will need to do on a bike the next time out there (there will have to be another!) :rockon:
Saw a good presence of vn750's while there, but everyone was on the move, so no b.s.ing with the owners.

·
Registered
721 Posts
take spearfish scenic byway from Deadwood to Spearfish.. it's pretty sweet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts