Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Happy Thanksgiving brothers,

Eat a lot of turkey (not too much), spend time with your loved ones, and give heartfelt thanks for every little miracles that have brought you this far.

And if you have experience riding through the rigors of winter, share your tips to keep the VN running great in the frigid weather.

With warm regards,

Archange

PS: how do you edit titles? I put an extra "one" in there.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Well, in Texas our daily average temps have only been 76 so i suspect i will continue to ride until my teeth start to chatter :)

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,724 Posts
not me. one word.....black Ice! ok, two words. doh! lol

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
ok, one word for me...SALT!

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Loving southern California; good riding year 'round!

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
I'm up in Massachusetts and although I put her in the shed, she's still road ready. I'll probably try and get some short rides in every month or so. If we get a lot if snow then that'll change things though. Got a seafoam mixture in the tank so I hope that helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well I ride year round (or did until that jerk rear ended me) and the weather was in the 80's a week and a half ago. THEN I headed to work in the low of 28 degrees... now its pouring and in the 40's. Does that count? lol

In the super cold weather I hook up a battery tender if the bike is going to sit without being started for more than three days (Weak electricals on these bikes you know. It will normally start no problem if I don't hook up the tender but I don't like to spend 5 minutes with it backfiring and waking the neighbors up at 5 in the morning). Once a month (Or two) I add a bottle of carb cleaner or IsoHEET to the tank. That keeps the bike running good and starting right.

For dry weather I wear a Tourmaster jacket (actually wear it year round, best 300 dollar investment I have ever made) with a liner if needed. For dry really cold weather I add in a set of CarHart insulated overalls. Add rain pants if its raining. For the gloves I really like the new ones I got from CycleGear. There the "BUILT" brand. Not the highest quality but I have a local store and anything BUILT has a 5 guarantee so if it blows a stitch or anything I take em back for a new set. Word of warning though... Their gloves are sized really small. I normally wear XL gloves and had to buy 3xl gloves so they wouldnt be too tight when I add a set of glove liners.

Until I was attacked by an idiot in a honda thats how I have been running with ZERO bike or warmth problems.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
" I ride year round (or did until that jerk rear ended me) and the weather was in the 80's a week and a half ago. THEN I headed to work in the low of 28 degrees... now its pouring and in the 40's. Does that count?"

Oh yeah that counts bro. Wow good to know all that man. I really need to get some good cold weather gear. Got a decent leather jacket but need chaps etc. I found that regular people gloves let air flow through so your fingers still freeze, lol. Anyway, best of luck with getting resolution
from the Hondiot's insurance.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
although I put her in the shed, she's still road ready. I'll probably try and get some short rides in every month or so. If we get a lot if snow then that'll change things though.
Well I'm in Southern Tenn., but about the same thing Dave said applies for me...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Last year was my first season of riding and I laid it down in November so I did not ride that winter. This year I intend on riding whenever I get the chance and there is no snow or ice on the roads. Here in NJ we can have any kind of winter so I am just hoping that we have a few clear days while I have time off from work. That is one of my reasons for working a midnight shift, free time during day light hours.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hell yeah I'll be riding... if I can fix the damn carburetors... LOL

·
Registered
131 Posts
In the past, I've had problems with the bikes getting snowed in for most of the winter. Even when I could get them out, the streets were such a mess with ice, sand, salt, etc. that it was rare to get in a good ride.

Since the move south, I've already spent more time riding this November than ever before, with plans to keep it up as often as possible.

In cold weather, I'd say a battery/routine top-off with a trickle charger is a must if you plan to leave it sit more than a few days (even with a good battery). If it turns a little stiff when you start-up, you might consider a lighter weight oil. I'm sure there are some who would disagree with this advice, and I have never done it on my Vulcan. I have used lighter oil on other bikes through the cold months with no problems. Also, be extra vigilant about tire pressure. You should be monitoring this closely, anyway, but if winter brings you wild fluctuations in temperatures, it can change dramatically from day to day.

Gear is also important. Hypothermia and frostbite are serious concerns. Your gear should cover as much exposed skin as possible anytime you're near or below freezing. Keep your core warm, and protect your extremities. In cold weather riding, airflow is your enemy. Carhartt has a lot of good products, though they don't really have anything specifically designed for riding.

Enjoy every day you can extend your season, but don't sacrifice saftey.

Hippie

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
I've been thinking of fitting a ski to the forks and a good deep lug snow/dirt tire. Usually I just leave her in the garage and wait for everything to melt.Years ago I would suit up in about 7 layers and arctic gloves and boots to hit the road if there wasn't snow on the roads but I think older age has made me more of a wimp.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Here in Phoenix, AZ, this is prime riding season, and I have the gear necessary to ride in temps down into the 30s, so I can even ride up into the mountains in the winter. I keep my bikes in the garage connected to battery tenders at all times when they are not being ridden. Summer is the problem here, with temps in the 120 degree range. You are in danger of heatstroke, especially wearing a full face helmet. Most of my riding in the summer, which lasts over 6 months, is up in the mountains, and you have to get up before first light, and get into the mountains before the sun comes up. Then you are stuck up there until after dark.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Yeah, still ridin. It's in the upper 20s to low 30s in the morings many days, but comes up to 40s and 50s in the afternoon.
I stop riding when the salt and sand go down on the roads to keep corrosion off the bikes. Don't ride in snow. Otherwise I'll go as long as mother nature will allow.
Bronson

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Loving southern California; good riding year 'round!

No secret here either. We get 2 weeks of Winter, 2 weeks of Summer and it's Spring and Fall the rest of the year. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
My wife and I plan on riding down to Solvang tomorrow. Should be a beautiful ride through wine country with all the vines changing colors. Maybe Cambria on Sunday.
We're blessed with wonderful weather this holiday weekend!

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
I rode over to Pensacola, FL and back last weekend on the Vulcan. About 400 miles, round trip.

Here in south Ga/north FL, it's not a problem to ride every week throughout the colder months (although not every day).

Snow and ice on the roads are pretty rare in these parts (but it does happen once in a while).

For those new to the VN750, it's actually a pretty good machine for extended trips--especially if you avoid interstates (which aren't generally a fun place for riding, anyway).

Because of the bike's ample power (for a 750cc v-twin cruiser), shaft drive, tubeless tires, and upright riding position, this is a fun & relatively safe ride for a long(er) trip. It's also a good machine for taking in the scenery.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Slap on the snowmobile suit and I roll out!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts