Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm still riding up here in New York. I was wondering if anyone else was planning to ride through winter like me (southern folks don't count.)

And to anyone else who's done it before, any unusual trick/maintenance to keep the bike running great in the frigid weather?

Happy holidays!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wow, that's impressive. I am really missing the road but I am not balsy enough to ride at these temperatures or when the gravel gets put down for the snow. More power to you. I am hoping for some decent weather to get one more ride in before the snow and ice! Be safe bro!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know I don't count... but it is nice to be able at times to ride in the middle of the winter in shorts, flip-flops, and t-shirt without having to get all bundled up (and STILL freeze!!!) :smiley_th

-Ric

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I did our Chicagoland Toys For Tots Motorcycle Parade last Sunday (My ninth) and that is normally my last ride of the year barring any nice January/February warm ups that have been missing here in the Chicago area for the last couple of years despite the global warming cries. All I look for is dry roads and temps in the 40's to get the bikes out...........

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I did enjoy me trip up the Pacific Coast Highway to Newport yesterday. It was a little chilly, since it was around 62, but nothing really bad. :)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I know I don't count... but it is nice to be able at times to ride in the middle of the winter in shorts, flip-flops, and t-shirt without having to get all bundled up (and STILL freeze!!!) :smiley_th

-Ric
Nobody should ever ride like that u_u

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Still riding??

It was pretty nice yesterday (or so I thought,) you know, sunny and 40 degrees F. That is warm for this time of year around here. Anyway, I thought I would make sure everything was ready for winter. So I got it started to go fill up the tank. Put on my gear, and headed out the driveway. Around the corner I go, only to see a big patch of ice that basically covered my side of the road. Somebody's sump pump drains right into the gutter and it froze up in the last couple of weeks. So I have to swerve to the other side of th eroad to miss that.
Get to the gas station and fill up. Get home, pour in some more SeaFoam. Pull the battery. Park in garage. Put cover on.

Two blocks, a bunch of ice, da** cold.

Done for the season...

·
Registered
659 Posts
I keep it ready to go all winter cuz you never know when we'll get a nice sunny day in the 40s or even 50s. I rode a little 3 of the past 5 days, not too far or too fast, but ridin' all the same. It was low to mid-40s. Our Toys-for-Tots ride was on 12/3 and it was about 38, but some sun and dry. We had about 1000-1200 bikes. It has turned into a parade of sorts, a slow run for a couple of miles up our busiest main drag 4 bikes abreast with Wingers' ole ladies throwing candy to the kids...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Here in South Bama, we ride most all year, ot some do. For me I have limits, above 35F and dry. Odds are most days of the year meet those requirements. :) I've got in about 16,500 miles in since Sept of '10 when I got my '02 750. The only thing that slowed me down a bit was picking up two nails in the rear tire. But that was quickly fixed.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Still riding here in the south.
I did put a Plexis III on my 750 and have loved it. Makes it nice when riding on those colder days.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am in WA state and if it's above freezing temps so no ice I ride mine

·
Registered
44 Posts
I finished my project bike saturday and headed out of the barn. Must have been an inch of snow on the ground. needed a bit of a shove to get it up the hill and onto the road. 20 degrees made for a real short ride. i know she'll run in the spring so she's tucked away until then.

·
Registered
56 Posts
:baby: bike put away in Sept. kind of a different country here in Alaska. Hoping to have it out next April.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Today in central Illinois

I was in Peoria this morning and saw Santa on a Harley. I actually saw several bikes out. That is rare here in this part of the country. Today it is bright and sunny and going to be up in the 40's. We haven't had snow on the ground yet. Global Warming?? This time of the year I don't mind it, but we did have a hot summer.

Merry Christmas to All

Mcneuby :)

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Winter Riding

I went for a long ride this past Thursday as the temperture was up in the mid 50's. Had a few other riders interested but they all had to back out due to last minute situations. 50 degrees on December 22 in New Jersey is definitely riding weather for me. I have been out when it was much colder this year and last so as long as there is no percipitation coming down or left over snow and ice I will be out riding. I am off from work till New Years Day and since I work midnights I will continue to keep going when ever possible even on work days. I was out for five and a half hours just adding mile after mile enjoying the day. I am looking forward to getting a few other riders out next time so if anyone is available during the day around the tri-state area drop a line and we will try to set it up.

Enjoy it while you can.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
We have had warm temps and the west snow eater winds for several days now. It`s going to be a brown Christmas in Southern Alberta this year. Yesterday at bike night someone mentioned seeing a bike out this week. A few of the guys are planning a Christmas day ride down to Starbucks as temp is forecast for +8*C, (about 45*F).

Merry Christmas everyone. Travel safely, go for a ride if you can, eat too much turkey, and enjoy time with family and friends!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts