Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a clutch basket if anyone has one lying around.
I didn't have a grabbit tool to remove the clutch basket in the "twin" and got impatient and tried to use the studs to hold on to and snapped one. (Pic is from file footage, not mine)
If not there's a few on ebay. Thanks

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Since that pic is from eBay with a price of $29.95 + $11.35 Shipping. How does $30 shipped sound?

·
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
114 Posts
Are you going to drill the basket to prevent clutch chatter? I mean since you have it out and all..

·
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you going to drill the basket to prevent clutch chatter? I mean since you have it out and all..
I'll probably do it for good measure.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Any advice for removing it without the tool, seeing as hindsight 20/20? Other than breaking it of course. :p

I'll probably take mine off to do the coffee grinder prevention mod as well. I'd probably have done the same thing thus my asking.

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
Any advice for removing it without the tool, seeing as hindsight 20/20? Other than breaking it of course. :p

I'll probably take mine off to do the coffee grinder prevention mod as well. I'd probably have done the same thing thus my asking.
My question would be how much is the "special tool"?
I've seen quite a few broken clutch baskets ALL caused by not using the right tool.

You can make your own tool from a couple of used metal clutch plates...if you have some laying around.......

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
How about an oil filter strap? Of course for a big oil filter.
I do have a nice heavy duty rubber strap wrench I used to hold the rotor whilst torquing down the rotor and balancer bolt. It held to over 60ft-lb with no slippage.

I wonder if that will do?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Clutch hub bolt torque is around 83 ft/lbs I believe........
Not too bad; should be fine, then. It held no problem for the rotor and balancer bolts (both on and off). I just had to have a friend manage the holding while I did the wrenching. :smiley_th I think I've spent far enough on the VN750 for quite some time, with this new clutch pressure plate coming in. Any way to save a buck or two will help.

·
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about an oil filter strap? Of course for a big oil filter.
I did try the strap and it just kept slipping. EBC makes one that fits in just like the clutch plates and holds it there, i think it was about $30 after shipping. If you have an impact gun, my mechanic said you could almost hold it with a rag and get it to come off. I ended up running it over to my local Kawi shop & he zipped it off along with the rotor and a few other things for $5.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I did try the strap and it just kept slipping. EBC makes one that fits in just like the clutch plates and holds it there, i think it was about $30 after shipping. If you have an impact gun, my mechanic said you could almost hold it with a rag and get it to come off. I ended up running it over to my local Kawi shop & he zipped it off along with the rotor and a few other things for $5.
$5 sounds like a fair deal to save some hassle. :smiley_th

1 - 13 of 13 Posts